• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Info & Discussion

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eyeballs Out said:
Gigs_98 said:
Hahahaha, they just made the only well designed medium mountain stage a sprint stage. WTF are they doing, I can't believe this.
If there was a well designed medium mountain stage in the Vuelta then it can only have been a mistake
They must have been reading the forums where everyone said that nothing would happen because it was on the eve of the queen stage.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Today i saw all the stages and there are many dificults summits, with so steep gradients that will be carnage to some riders.

Even if shorts that´s stages are so dificult... It will be a very tought Vuelta.

hfer07 said:
so....

when everyone thought this Vuelta could end up not being very competitive, here we have Contador, Quintana, Chavito, Froome, Landa participating in it :eek:

:D

Betting sites are giving a small but realistic chance for Valverde, Krushweak, and J. Rodriguez as well, with Rodriquez and Krushweak being considered twice as likely to win as Landa. Comparing the odds for this and the Olympic RR, there is almost as many realistic possibilities for the Vuelta GC as the Olympic RR... which is crazy, as usually a one day race has many more possible winners than a grand tour GC.

Then there's also the possibility of a shock surprise performer... seems to happen every few years. (Aitor Gonzalez, Nozal, Horner, Cobo, Froome, etc) I'm very excited!

spiritualride said:
hfer07 said:
so....

when everyone thought this Vuelta could end up not being very competitive, here we have Contador, Quintana, Chavito, Froome, Landa participating in it :eek:

:D

Betting sites are giving a small but realistic chance for Valverde, Krushweak, and J. Rodriguez as well, with Rodriquez and Krushweak being considered twice as likely to win as Landa. Comparing the odds for this and the Olympic RR, there is almost as many realistic possibilities for the Vuelta GC as the Olympic RR... which is crazy, as usually a one day race has many more possible winners than a grand tour GC.

Then there's also the possibility of a shock surprise performer... seems to happen every few years. (Aitor Gonzalez, Nozal, Horner, Cobo, Froome, etc) I'm very excited!

MAL is your guy. He's gonna destroy this Vuelta.

Re: Re:

bassano said:
Gigs_98 said:
bassano said:
btw. Nibali is not considering Vuelta? It would be logical step after Giro and olympic Road race I hoped he can do good there this year
He also rode the tour. Absolutely understandable that he doesn't want to ride all gt's.

Yeah, but he rode Tour to be in shape for olympics, it was not meant like why the hell he does not want to ride Vuelta, but I would like to see him there

That would be stupid, can't believe it! Targeting Lombardije after Olympics would be much better. Maybe they will sent Aru.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Oliver said:
bassano said:
Gigs_98 said:
bassano said:
btw. Nibali is not considering Vuelta? It would be logical step after Giro and olympic Road race I hoped he can do good there this year
He also rode the tour. Absolutely understandable that he doesn't want to ride all gt's.

Yeah, but he rode Tour to be in shape for olympics, it was not meant like why the hell he does not want to ride Vuelta, but I would like to see him there

That would be stupid, can't believe it! Targeting Lombardije after Olympics would be much better. Maybe they will sent Aru.
Vino said that Aru probably won't ride the Vuelta, so my guess would be Superman Lopez, Scarponi, Cataldo and maybe Rosa.

Mayomaniac said:
Oliver said:
bassano said:
Gigs_98 said:
bassano said:

Vino said that Aru probably won't ride the Vuelta, so my guess would be Superman Lopez, Scarponi, Cataldo and maybe Rosa.
The hell is Aru then supposed to ride - Canada and Italian fall classics? Seems weird to me not to bring him to the Vuelta considering his season so far and his victory last year. Doesn't exactly strike me as a good one day rider either, but lets see.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

The hell is Aru then supposed to ride - Canada and Italian fall classics? Seems weird to me not to bring him to the Vuelta considering his season so far and his victory last year. Doesn't exactly strike me as a good one day rider either, but lets see.

He finished 9th in his first Lombardia.

But he's a lesser version then Contador in one day races, so he's got no chance to win one of them.

Arredondo said:

But he's a lesser version then Contador in one day races, so he's got no chance to win one of them.

If its the same route like last year and he is in form (which he defo should be), I think he potentially can win actually. But that requires him to be on another level than he has been on so far.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:

If its the same route like last year and he is in form (which he defo should be), I think he potentially can win actually. But that requires him to be on another level than he has been on so far.

But it will be the 2014 route again. So too easy for someone like Aru.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

TomLPC said:
Anyone know if young Hugh carthy is riding? Last I heard he was smashing some of indurains times up random European climbs
On PCS he is listed as scheduled for Burgos but not Vuelta right now and the CR team has 5 of 9 riders listed for the Vuelta at this moment so maybe we'll know after Burgos. I hope he rides.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed that Froome will be at the Vuelta. I hope it doesn't make it as boring as the TdF was as a result of his participation. Hope for better performances from Quintana and Contador, I guess.

rick james said:
CatsNK said:
I'm disappointed that Froome will be at the Vuelta. I hope it doesn't make it as boring as the TdF was as a result of his participation. Hope for better performances from Quintana and Contador, I guess.
Has Froome ever been boring at the Vuelta? sky race the Vuelta differently
Not really, they still are at the front all the time. The only difference is that froome is usually worse.

Gigs_98 said:
rick james said:
CatsNK said:
Has Froome ever been boring at the Vuelta? sky race the Vuelta differently
Not really, they still are at the front all the time. The only difference is that froome is usually worse.
...and not leading the race, except in 2011 when he had to work for a weaker teammate.