• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 15: Sabiñánigo > Aramón Formigal

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 15: Sabiñánigo > Aramón Form

Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking
Froome catches the group in front.
Then 20 seconds later Contador attacks.
And another 40 seconds later the descent starts.

Therefore Froome was at the wheel of the Lotto rider one minute before the crucial gap opened. The infamous Lotto rider was hanging at the back so if his crash held up Froome the crash happened directly after Froome caught him, which I find very unlikely since they were riding at a relatively low pace on a flat street. Maybe the Lotto guy crashed later and Froome was caught behind him because he didn't ride past him, but if you enter a descent on the last position you really must not complain if a gap opens up.

Moreover at the beginning of the descent you can see that there still isn't a gap because you can see riders in the group which later weren't there anymore but Froome was not one of them. Therefore the gap didn't open directly in front of Froome and whatever happened with the Lotto guy it probybly wasn't decisive.

Well you can see the Lotto guy hanging about 10m of the back of the first 14 riders as they go around a corner. When they come out there's no one within 200m or so. I'd say the crash was decisive in forming the split at least.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

Therefore Froome was at the wheel of the Lotto rider one minute before the crucial gap opened. The infamous Lotto rider was hanging at the back so if his crash held up Froome the crash happened directly after Froome caught him, which I find very unlikely since they were riding at a relatively low pace on a flat street. Maybe the Lotto guy crashed later and Froome was caught behind him because he didn't ride past him, but if you enter a descent on the last position you really must not complain if a gap opens up.

Moreover at the beginning of the descent you can see that there still isn't a gap because you can see riders in the group which later weren't there anymore but Froome was not one of them. Therefore the gap didn't open directly in front of Froome and whatever happened with the Lotto guy it probybly wasn't decisive.

descents are like crosswinds : if you are at the back of the pack you are in the danger zone because you are at the mercy of the elastic snapping somewhere in front of you. This is what happened. It happened because of a fall, it could have happened for other reasons.

veji11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

descents are like crosswinds : if you are at the back of the pack you are in the danger zone because you are at the mercy of the elastic snapping somewhere in front of you. This is what happened. It happened because of a fall, it could have happened for other reasons.
You are right, but I'm annoyed to hear that some people already say Contador and Quintana did an unsportsmanlike attack because they utilized a crash, so for them the circumstances do matter. I'm not saying Samhocking is one of those people but these people will definitely feel confirmed by his posts, therefore I wanted to write what I think about the situation.

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
it didn't cost orica deerly at all. chaves lost no place in gc and he will easily cook contador looking at how chaves rode that final climb up compared to contador

Depends if you look at Contador's attack as adesire to move into 2nd or 3rd on GC or if he wanted the stage win and Quintana was a likeminded companion. Given his placings on the last few MTF's, it looked like he was aspiring to leapfrog Chaves in the TT I assume and try and get 2nd on GC to me.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

deValtos said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

Well you can see the Lotto guy hanging about 10m of the back of the first 14 riders as they go around a corner. When they come out there's no one within 200m or so. I'd say the crash was decisive in forming the split at least.

What is decisive in forming the split is being too far back from your main rivals : if Froome is 3 or 5 or 8 positions behind Quintana on such a crazy beginning of the stage, it's 3 or 5 or 8 too many and he risks something happening and a gap opening between them. Same as in crosswinds, never be behind the gatekeeper !

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
veji11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

You are right, but I'm annoyed to hear that some people already say Contador and Quintana did an unsportsmanlike attack because they utilized a crash, so for them the circumstances do matter. I'm not saying Samhocking is one of those people but these people will definitely feel confirmed by his posts, therefore I wanted to write what I think about the situation.

Oh I agree 100% with you, I find it infuriating when people talk about "sportsmanship" in road cycling. It reduces cycling to a wattage contest. What made road cycling was that it was unsportsman to some extent, road cycling wasn't about being the best athlete, it was about reaching the line first, having outlasted your opponents and what the road threw at you. It was the show "survivor" before TV existed... Suddenly, coming out of the rain and mist you had Coppi or Bartali or Anquetil.. What had happened ? where were the others ? who knew, but the winner was there, for he was the one who had endured it all better : the road, the rain, the falls, the punctures, the public, everything...

My biggest regret of the 2015 is that Quintana upon seeing Froome looking at his bike on the Glandon should have gone full ape instead of hesitating... Take what the road gives you, take the tiniest openings that it gives you, and run with it. That's what road cycling is about, not about VO2 max and PMA effort.

Gigs_98 said:
veji11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

Froome was poorly positioned back on the first climb and Contador used it to pressure Froome then, then the Lotto rider crash gave him a second chance to pressure Froome again after he got back on with Contadors group. The race was on and luck plays a huge part both good and bad.

Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

I saw a picture of Tosh Van Der Sander with consequences of a crahs on his back...

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

samhocking said:
Gigs_98 said:
veji11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

Froome was poorly positioned back on the first climb and Contador used it to pressure Froome then, then the Lotto rider crash gave him a second chance to pressure Froome again after he got back on with Contadors group. The race was on and luck plays a huge part both good and bad.

Luck plays a part indeed and the only way to mitigate it is positionning : had Froome sat just in Quintana's wheel, no other rider's fall could have created a split between him and Quintana.. for those few positions back down in a crazy race start, he paid a heavy price.

samhocking said:
Gigs_98 said:
veji11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

Do you have any picture of the Lotto rider on the descent? I don't see one.

Lexman said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

I saw a picture of Tosh Van Der Sander with consequences of a crahs on his back...
Wait a second. Which Lotto are we talking about. The rider Samhocking circled in the picture was from Lotto NL, but Van der Sande is a Lotto Soudal rider :confused:

Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

No, at the top of the descent Froome was back with Contadors group at the back, there was then 3 or 4 high speed corners on the descent, Contador was not pushing it before these, his team mate was just riding steady. Somewhere in the corners, Froome got held up by lottor rider crashing or whatever happened, Froome ends up back in G2 which was only 10-15 seconds behind, Tinkoff have two riders I think, so one would have seen Froome dropped back, radiod De Jong that Froome wasn't with Contador anymore, then you see Contador attack on the last part of the decent full-bore. End of the day Froome was on the back foot. Something else must have happened though because he was right at the front where he should be at the start of the climb with 4 or 5 of his team, then half way up everyone is drifting back through the bunch to be with Froome.

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Brullnux said:
GuyIncognito said:
Henri Pélissier continues to win his argument that shorter stages make for more exciting racing
Ultra short stages like this (anything below 130/140km) do usually create really exciting races, especially when used after a hard day or a rest day. In moderation.
This is it, if they were all short days then the race would just become the same as it was but over shorter distances. It's the mix of stages that makes these work because if the riders weren't tired from such a long and difficult stage yesterday, this wouldn't happen. I do think that we are seeing a trend that putting a short stage at the end of a mountain block is a positive move, because it's meaning riders are less afraid of them, so they don't race as conservatively in the earlier stages, meaning there's more fatigue to play a role in the short stages.

The odds of having a stage this good must be akin to winning Tattslotto :D

I cannot recall a single stage creating so many points of discussion. We can use this stage to discuss further the possibilities of any future trends in regards to 'ambush' strategies, how the outcome of this stage will influence future GT parcours, or whether this stage means that we really don't need to reduce the size of the teams....

And then of course there is the fierce debate over the enforcing - or not - of the time limit rule.

I have replied to Libertine's post because it makes the great point about why this stage was potentially effective.

An easier mountain - or 'hilly' - stage immediately after a Queen stage can cause carnage. Well you still need all the planets to align, but it's possible.

I think that the shorter stage makes it more plausible for a few domestiques to go full gas from the beginning and give their team leader a chance at holding on to some time gains. If yesterday's stage was 200kms, then there is no way that the 2 Moviestar and 2 Tinkoff helpers would have lasted until close enough to the end, in order for their leaders to survive. To quote Libertine again: "less afraid".

In addition to that you obviously need a tired peloton - stage 14 over 4 HC/1C mountains thank-you very much - that contains many riders and teams with little interest in the outcome of the stage. IMO the stage needs to be hard enough to take the interest of the sprinters teams out of it, but not so hard as to destroy the breakaway domestiques too quickly. This is partly why the TDF's experiments with these type of stages haven't worked as well, because they have attempted to mix a queen stage and a short stage into one lethal one....which generally hasn't turned out to be so lethal. Most teams are not going to have riders who are capable of blasting all the way up the Madeleine and then continuing up another HC climb later. No, this kind of an ambush situation is much more feasible with 4-5% climbs that don't reach 2,000 metres....

Much is being made about Froome being kept behind because of a crash, and whilst that ultimately led to his demise, that isn't really very important in this particular discussion, as we see countless times, dangerous GC riders getting a little bit of a break early in a stage, but 97% of the time this amounts to nothing. So it was the stage design itself, and where it was positioned within the three weeks, and which stage it came after, that matter here. This stage discussion is also all about ATTITUDE (as well as altitude). The breakaways success was possible because of it. It might have been stage 9 of this years TDF that I recall, where Valverde built up over a minutes advantage - in a big group too - early on, but his success was shortlived. In this instance the stage was probably too early in the race for an ambush, and Sky were much stronger, though this is also because it was early in the race as well as for the stronger team members themselves. But it was even more about the planets aligning - or not - because it related to everyone's own agenda (okay then, possible mutual dislike for Piti then lol ), their ATTITUDE. From memory that breakaway had about as many participants as this one in the Vuelta, but hardly anyone was willing to work. Sort of off topic, but why go in a breakaway if you are not willing to work? To save energy to win the stage of course. But you don't have the opportunity to get to that point unless you - or enough members of your breakaway - are willing to work. And if you don't think that you have a chance to win the stage then what the hell are you doing in the breakaway in the first place???

Sky might have bought them back anyway; they had their two roulours (never know how to spell this) doing their thing, but it would have been much harder to bring them back in their had been some co-operation in the breakaway group. Which brings me to another point that has been raised on these boards recently, about beating Sky by attacking them (or at least making the racing harder) on the flatlands and hilly stages. You tire out their limited number of roulours and then some of their climbers have to expend some energy BEFORE they even get to the climbs.

Yes, this is starting to make more sense.

Of course you can't do this on totally flat stages though, because Sky won't have to do any work with half a dozen sprinters teams baying for blood.

Which might make it even harder to beat Sky at the Tour. Although it does seem that in recent years the TDF has been including more lumpy stages and less pancake - or "stupid pointless" - flat stages.

Back to Libertine's point about a "mix of stages". This is precisely what is wrong about the recent trend in the TDF (and for that matter the Vuelta _/ ) to have more mountain stages, but in reality no more difficulty in the mountains overall. No queen stages, just eight high mountain stages between 140-190 kms; they all start to look the same after a while (although at least this year they had some balance with descent finishers). It's the difference which makes a difference. I'd much rather see one Alpine stage of 230 kms and 5 HC/1C climbs then have two stages each of 150 kms.

What we don't want to see is the Vuelta giving us a handful of Fuente De's next year. They would be missing the point entirely.

And the more difficult stages (or time trials) before the easier ones in a run of GC stages is of course advisable. Getting back to the general rate of attrition, and less afraid factors giving a better chance for better racing.

How much of a morale boost and an impact will stage 15 have on teams next season? Will teams start to feel like they can at least try to beat Sky away from the high mountains (not Quintana in general, he will try to win on the climbs, as he should)? How could Dumoulin go if the Tour has 100kms of ITT and his team selects a group of strong roulours? Sure he will lose some time in the high mountains, but if Froome is in yellow then his team is working all day on those high mountains. And then after those high mountains? It's time for an ambush.

And if you're strength is time trialling then you try to add more time trialling (or at least TTT, I know how much LS loves those :D ) even if the TT kms aren't there. Which going off recent trends they probably won't be :rolleyes:

Obviously Dumoulin wants his teammates to be as fresh as possible for their ambush stage, so they all finish 53 minutes behind on the stage before :p

No, because that rule will be properly implemented.

But you can still take it easier than normal of course. And pick your spots.

If more GC teams are willing to risk an ambush then just the threat of it will make Sky less imposing in the high mountains too. Instead of burning all of your matches (and making it impossible for any rider to move more than fifty metres ahead of the peloton), you'd save one or two, on just the 'possibility' that something crazy might happen from the beginning of the lumpy stage the following day.

Maybe you can defeat a strong nine man team if you are willing to make enough stages full gas from the start.

Or at least make it a little more interesting.

We need to do something soon anyway. Unfortunately AC can't give us this theatre forever.

samhocking said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

No, at the top of the climb Froome was with Contadors group at the back, there was then 3 or 4 high speed corners on the descent, Contador was not pushing it, his team mate was just riding steady. Somewhere in the corners, Froome got held up by lottor rider crashing or whatever happened, Froome ends up back in G2 which was only 10-15 seconds behind, Tinkoff have two riders I think, so one would have seen Froome dropped back, radiod De Jong that Froome wasn't with Contador anymore, then you see Contador attack on the last part of the decent full-bore. End of the day Froome was on the back foot. Something else must have happened though because he was right at the front where he should be at the start of the climb with 4 or 5 of his team, then half way up everyone is drifting back through the bunch to be with Froome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sqp4nErX48
33:25, thats when Contador really accelerates again, but I actually think he didn't pedal so fast before because he had to break before the hairpins. Anyway you can see that at this point there wasn't a gap yet, therefore Contador didn't attack because of the gap. And even if he did, there was another gap opening up behind Felline (I think if someone crashed then it was the rider behind Felline, whoever that was) so let's say nobody crashed in the earlier part of the descent before Contador attacked, Froome still would have ended up in G2.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

samhocking said:
Gigs_98 said:
@Samhocking

No, at the top of the descent Froome was back with Contadors group at the back, there was then 3 or 4 high speed corners on the descent, Contador was not pushing it before these, his team mate was just riding steady. Somewhere in the corners, Froome got held up by lottor rider crashing or whatever happened, Froome ends up back in G2 which was only 10-15 seconds behind, Tinkoff have two riders I think, so one would have seen Froome dropped back, radiod De Jong that Froome wasn't with Contador anymore, then you see Contador attack on the last part of the decent full-bore. End of the day Froome was on the back foot. Something else must have happened though because he was right at the front where he should be at the start of the climb with 4 or 5 of his team, then half way up everyone is drifting back through the bunch to be with Froome.

I think Froome likes to go up in RPM progressively, it's why he seems to be reverse splits in the climb. It probably is the best way to avoid tiredness, lactates buildup etc in the long run : alway let your body get into the rythm rather than brutalise it. This way of doing things might make for the best performance in a very controled environnemnet where your teams carries you to the foot of the MTF in the best possible position. But it probably contributes to being vulnerable to brutal efforts off the bat ? Just a guess...

@Gigs: Hmmmm, maybe that's the point where Valverde "let go", since he claimed on the Eurosport Extra to have been the guy who dropped off the back on purpose, which let the break go (well, according to Kirby's "translation").... Perhaps the crash was earlier, since Orica mention it also on BS Pass - as the factor in Chaves and Yates getting behind., maybe the incident may happened earlier.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

dusty red roads said:
@Gigs: Hmmmm, maybe that's the point where Valverde "let go", since he claimed on the Eurosport Extra to have been the guy who dropped off the back on purpose, which let the break go (well, according to Kirby's "translation").... Perhaps the crash was earlier, since Orica mention it also on BS Pass - as the factor in Chaves and Yates getting behind., maybe the incident may happened earlier.

In that case what Valverde did what textbook gatekeeping as we call it when trying to set up echelons ! Awesomely sneaky and brutally effective... Jubilation !

I think racing by numbers sometimes has good, sometime bad results just like racing on feelings, but he sometimes races very naively too though and that's just understanding race craft which I think's his weak point. He often races like the new kid in the chain gang who doesn't believe you when you say if you keep riding like that you'll be blown out the back before the sessions finished lol!

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
I think that the shorter stage makes it more plausible for a few domestiques to go full gas from the beginning and give their team leader a chance at holding on to some time gains. If yesterday's stage was 200kms, then there is no way that the 2 Moviestar and 2 Tinkoff helpers would have lasted until close enough to the end, in order for their leaders to survive. To quote Libertine again: "less afraid".

This is very very true. This is also why having stages where there is flat between the climbs is better than what some think because than you can use domestiques that are ahead to do some pulling on the flat like Orica did it on saturday.

But as you said as well it's the variety that matters, yesterday's stage without the Aubisque stage the day before probably doesn't work.. the moral of the story is that the route of a GT needs to be unpredictable and not too calibrated. On paper the last TDF looked great but indeed moutain stages where a bit too calibrated.

Mmm, it's so hard to tell on the playback. At 110.8km on the descent it's all together, there isn't really a G1 & G2 group as such it's just a very long stretched line of maybe 50 riders, but at ~110.5km to go there's a big split and Contador is leading a much smaller line then of maybe 20 riders. Looks like the crash might have been during Contadors second push towards the bottom of the descent, not near the top as first thought? Really difficult without knowing more from Lotto.

TRENDING THREADS