• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 15: Sabiñánigo > Aramón Formigal

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

spalco said:
El Pistolero said:
You can tell Contador just wanted to make sure Froome lost the Vuelta today, lol.

I disagree, I think you're not doing him justice by saying something like that. He's still riding his own race.

Yeah, he was riding for stage win and to gain gc places obviously, im sure they would have pushed even if nairo hadnt made the selection

Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 15: Sabiñánigo > Aramón Form

Big Doopie said:
great stage.

talansky up to 7th - equalling his best.

a good TT puts him in 6th.

a great one in 5th.

the amazing thing, his finish has not been on TV either day because he was between the main protagonists each time.

cannondale cant catch a break. lol.

Very good chnace of a top 5 imo

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I have lost all respect for Contador, it's all about he's hate to Froome and not about doing anything for himself, I understand why Tinkov is glad for getting out of cycling with a old overpaid captain.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Re:

BetOrLose said:
I have lost all respect for Contador, it's all about he's hate to Froome and not about doing anything for himself, I understand why Tinkov is glad for getting out of cycling with an old overpaid captain.

I will take that has something ironic :lol:

Re:

Robert5091 said:
It would be fun to be a fly on the wall in Sky's post race discussions. Where were the team?
Didn't Valverde drop them all really early, by attacking and taking all the other GC men with him, so Froome was forced to follow solo? Pretty surprising though that Konig at least couldn't hold on - perhaps he's ill again.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

purcell said:
veji11 said:
Contador took Froome with him Balrog style... I can't win the Vuelta anymore ? Well at least you'll know I made you lose it too. Awesome.

You do know that they don't sign a contract promising to help Froome win, right?

Contador is trying to get on the podium and doing what he does best, racing.

Dude, I am happy champions have pride, massive pride, and I wasn't criticizing Contador at all, I like to think that sometimes champions like him like to show that even when they can't win, they can still unleash a tsunami on the race...

Dazed and Confused said:
SafeBet said:
Dazed and Confused said:
Lets not forget the Castros, Trofimoms and Rovnys today. Some excellent support rider performances.

Now I like to see Sky going all in on one of the remaining stages please......
What Sky? None of them is making the time limit :D

Race organizer are too soft these days. All will remain.

(lol)

Or Brailsford and Froome will have a meeting with the director convincing him he should not kick them out.

saganboss said:
deValtos said:
Sykes said:

They will probably be re-instated. Isn't that what normally happens? With a points cut or smth?
yes. but it's not fair. 35-40 minutes is too much in a stage like this. they didn't even try to make the time limit

If 93 riders would be disqualified then it would be icing on the cake for a legendary day.

fantomas said:
Dazed and Confused said:
SafeBet said:
Dazed and Confused said:
Lets not forget the Castros, Trofimoms and Rovnys today. Some excellent support rider performances.

Now I like to see Sky going all in on one of the remaining stages please......
What Sky? None of them is making the time limit :D

Race organizer are too soft these days. All will remain.

(lol)

Or Brailsford and Froome will have a meeting with the director convincing him he should not kick them out.

Froome will probably ask for them to go after today.

Re:

carton said:
Chapeau Contador! Chapeau Quintana! A truly epic stage.

Also, the way Movi forced Sky to chase all day yesterday and Quintana worked over Froome up Aubisque were crucial to giving us this stage.

Certainly, that was a big factor. Orica did a huge amount of work yesterday running relays for Yates and they also lacked strength today when they needed to chase. I didn't think Movistar would be so strong today though. They had quite a few guys in the break yesterday and Valverde was dropped. However, again they got three guys in the break and had several guys disrupting the chase in the second group, while Sky completely disintegrated. OK, it's not the Tour team, but Konig and Kennaugh were just nowhere today.

It needed a strong coalition to succeed (if there was only one team with real GC ambitions in the front group, it wouldn't have worked), Elissonde and Fraile wanted the mountain points and since it was only a "medium mountain stage" some of the others felt they had a chance of winning the stage. For these reasons, the break cooperated really well, enabling it to overcome a less cohesive chasing group.

Also, at the end Nairo was clearly stronger than Froome (probably both physically and psyhologically) and now looks in a very dominant position, instead of Froome being set up to take the jersey in the TT.

A great day of racing.