• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Strade Bianche, March 4th, 175 km WT

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Popchu said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:
Just seen that Felline went solo in the last hour and ended up finishing 13th, beating a lot of the main breakaway riders like EBH, Sanchez, Kung, Trentin. Not a great result for one of the pre-race favorites, but I like to see that kind of fight in a rider - especially considering about half the field just gave up when it got a bit tough.

Exactly. This is how it should be.
I think that DNF riders should be sanctioned somehow as they are getting an advantage for next race against the riders who ride till the very end. This can be important especially for the busy spring season.
I think this is a ridiculous idea. ;)

Aren't the people who deliberately DNF - as opposed to DNFing because of crashing or illness, like Sagan - usually the riders whose main role is to spend their energy to help their captain without actually going for a result themselves? Obviously, if you DNF you aren't going to win.

Popchu said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:
Just seen that Felline went solo in the last hour and ended up finishing 13th, beating a lot of the main breakaway riders like EBH, Sanchez, Kung, Trentin. Not a great result for one of the pre-race favorites, but I like to see that kind of fight in a rider - especially considering about half the field just gave up when it got a bit tough.

I think that DNF riders should be sanctioned somehow as they are getting an advantage for next race against the riders who ride till the very end. This can be important especially for the busy spring season.

Probably.
But I do not consider it fair that you can quite the race after missing the decisive move and save the energy for the race that is held in 3days against the boys that were fighting till the end.
But it could also make the racing more entertaining as the domestics strength would be weakened.

nuvolablu said:
The moment the race was decided.
I think the strongest guys were at the front anyway. The only other guy who could have probably fight for the win is Felline.

C6Fsu7AWYAA6ES6.jpg

Seems like Stybar, GVA and Wellens were the last ones to get through. They were a bit lucky in that regard, the race could have unfolded very differently if those three crashed.

SKSemtex said:
Popchu said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:

Probably.
But I do not consider it fair that you can quite the race after missing the decisive move and save the energy for the race that is held in 3days against the boys that were fighting till the end.
But it could also make the racing more entertaining as the domestics strength would be weakened.
I agree with the sentiments, but it seems there's no obvious solution as a punishment. The biggest one for me is still the sprinters who win a few flat stages in a GT then pull out during or before the mountains. I think in a GT you should definitely have to finish the race for a stage victory to count in the record books and for points.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
nuvolablu said:
The moment the race was decided.
I think the strongest guys were at the front anyway. The only other guy who could have probably fight for the win is Felline.

C6Fsu7AWYAA6ES6.jpg
Holly smoke !

Peter hit the ground (right) ; Kawazaki skip it (left) ; Stybar & GVA were in front with Lotto Soudal pulling

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame motorbikes decided the race. Kwiatko might have been the strongest, but there's no way he would have held those 3 off without that much help from motorbikes. Also Sky... ugh... Their reputation is worse than Astana's at this point.

Brullnux said:
Velolover2 said:
44NIBALIVincenzoBahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team5313:3

The shark became the sea slug.

What did you expect, as soon as the race was gone there was no need to go all out especially with Tirreno coming up.

Good win for Kwiatkowski, impressive stuff. Well deserved too, he was the strongest today.

He was caught in the crash, fell then had a mechanical, went 20 km with Sioutsou's bike (5cm taller) and to finish the great day out he had a puncture. On top this is not quite his type of race, far from a favorite and he is not in shape yet to contest for the win. But haters gonna hate. Let's see tomorrow in GP Larciano and then his first real race, TA.

SKSemtex said:
Popchu said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:

Probably.
So let's sanction all the other riders in the pro ranks who didn't ride the race. Can't let them be fresher for the other one.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Today we missed a lot due to a late tv coverage. The race was decided by that big crash just like OHN and Paris Roubaix last year. Maybe GC riders should forget that unwritten rule when there's a crash in Grand Tours. As for motor pacing, everybody benefited from it.

Everything started when Lotto Soudal accelerated 100 km before the finish while it was windy out there. The big crash splitted the peloton and 15 men were in front.
As Kawazaki said, Stybar & Willems launched their attacks too early and were left without team support. GVA was still there but the former world champion attacked at the right moment.
It was interesting to watch the race unfold without Peter. He was missed specially by GVA. ;)

Great race but didn't enjoy it the proper amount because a) really bad coverage b) ridiculous motor pacing c) *** eurosport.

It deserves much more than this, just look at this epic picture.

rsz_feytdj5sa37solfbo2w1dbykpabxisnwu5nau7xuc40-2048x1365.jpg

sQiD said:
As for motor pacing, everybody benefited from it.

What a load of nonsense. There NEVER was a motor in front of the chasers.

BigMac said:
El Pistolero said:
It's a shame motorbikes decided the race. Kwiatko might have been the strongest, but there's no way he would have held those 3 off without that much help from motorbikes. Also Sky... ugh... Their reputation is worse than Astana's at this point.

What did Sky do?

Ditto. There was no Sky train today (or riders for that matter), only one very strong captain who deserved the victory.

Re:

I saw motor only at 5km mark for about 15sec (then it got behind Kwiatkowski), and for the most part it was beside him which was annoying as hell and dangerous (3km from the finish Michal had to shout at the bike not to take his lane going into the curve)

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Flamin said:
Great race but didn't enjoy it the proper amount because a) really bad coverage b) ridiculous motor pacing c) **** eurosport.

sQiD said:
As for motor pacing, everybody benefited from it.

What a load of nonsense. There NEVER was a motor in front of the chasers.
I'm not talking just about that decisive moment. Motors were pulling riders for the whole race. GVA himself told reporters that. Anyway, the UCI has to solve this problem quickly and RCS have to find another drivers.

I don't understand the arguments going back and forth :confused: .

Kwiat was the better guy today. The actors all agree. See GVA, Stybar's post-race comments as quoted on CN's home page. Or Wellens: "everybody got the place they deserved". If they say so.

It was a greta race, Kwiat made the right move. And I would argue that without Sagan, who would have chased (and the others would have taken his wheel), the other contenders hesitated...and it cost them.

Big win for Kwiat.

Seemed like the trio were working well together but Kwait was the strongest? What do you all think. I'm not sure GVA would have beat Kwiat even if not missing his attack.

Tonton said:
Kwiat was the better guy today. The actors all agree.

Even if they disagree, why be honest and have fans here and other places call them "whiners" or "sore losers" ? Athletes generally say what is most diplomatic when interviewed. For example, how riders react when they're awarded a win because the original winner was caught doping. Plus they weren't the ones watching it on TV were they? How would they know.

spiritualride said:
Seemed like the trio were working well together but Kwait was the strongest? What do you all think. I'm not sure GVA would have beat Kwiat even if not missing his attack.

Tonton said:
Kwiat was the better guy today. The actors all agree.

Even if they disagree, why be honest and have fans here and other places call them "whiners" or "sore losers" ? Athletes generally say what is most diplomatic when interviewed. For example, how riders react when they're awarded a win because the original winner was caught doping. Plus they weren't the ones watching it on TV were they? How would they know.
I'm not too sure what your point is. But I agree with the "politically correct concession speech" that athletes give.

What I gather from the post-race interviews is that Kwiat made the right move at the right time. And I actually wonder if some are so used to watching Sagan, following Sagan...and with Sagan out of the picture, they didn't know what to do, what wheel to follow, and ultimately were not willing to burn themselves to reel Kwiat in and get whacked in the end. Something that Sagan would have done, and been vilified for, as in "another second place".

I had one horse in this race (finished 9th - great job Tibopino!), I'm not biased. I really like GVA, Wellens, Sky not so much. But I watched the last 47km of the race and I applause Kwiat for his win.

I wonder what you think about that...is Sagan so good that when he's gone, plan A (follow Sagan), B (follow Sagan), or C (follow Sagan) go out of the window, that one makes a move, and others look at each other and don't know what to do?

There was cooperation, but no one (GVA, Stybar, Wellens) gave it all.