• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Strade Bianche, March 4th, 175 km WT

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Last year's Paris Roubaix saw the same scenario. Without Peter in the finally, the race was really open. There were no super strong rider and it finsished in a sprint.
Today, Kawazaki was a little bit stronger than the others and made his move at the right time. Stybar and Willens agreed with that but it's GVA comments that are confusing.

Tonton said:
I don't understand the arguments going back and forth :confused: .

Kwiat was the better guy today. The actors all agree. See GVA, Stybar's post-race comments as quoted on CN's home page. Or Wellens: "everybody got the place they deserved". If they say so.

It was a greta race, Kwiat made the right move. And I would argue that without Sagan, who would have chased (and the others would have taken his wheel), the other contenders hesitated...and it cost them.

Big win for Kwiat.
By the looks of the posts from which user it came from, El Pisti has gone sour because Belgians didn't win. So glad I ignore him now :D Just do the same, then you won't have to read the same crap over and over

Re:

sQiD said:
Last year's Paris Roubaix saw the same scenario. Without Peter in the finally, the race was really open. There were no super strong rider and it finsished in a sprint.
Today, Kawazaki was a little bit stronger than the others and made his move at the right time. Stybar and Willens agreed with that but it's GVA comments that are confusing.

The race was open anyway. Cancellara and Boonen were the marked riders at Paris Roubaix usually, not Sagan. Some people expect Sagan to win every race he enters it seems and the ones he doesn't ride he would win anyway according to some. Kwia likes the Strade and always rides well there, his win was no surprise, I saw no excuses for anyone else. GVA got too used to winning last year and must be getting frustrated with the seconds again but as he said Kwia was the best on the day. Why he mentioned luck I don't know. There was nothing lucky about the win.

nuvolablu said:
The moment the race was decided.
I think the strongest guys were at the front anyway. The only other guy who could have probably fight for the win is Felline.

C6Fsu7AWYAA6ES6.jpg

Dumoulin was behind the crash he said, butcould pass the pileup safely, but added that the effort to reach the front might have costed him at the end of the race. He emphasized the might.

Re: Re:

sQiD said:
Flamin said:
Great race but didn't enjoy it the proper amount because a) really bad coverage b) ridiculous motor pacing c) **** eurosport.

sQiD said:
As for motor pacing, everybody benefited from it.

What a load of nonsense. There NEVER was a motor in front of the chasers.
I'm not talking just about that decisive moment. Motors were pulling riders for the whole race. GVA himself told reporters that. Anyway, the UCI has to solve this problem quickly and RCS have to find another drivers.

Neither am I. During the whole race, the guy(s) in front were getting a nice tow regularly while chasers got nothing. So no, not everybody benefited from it.

Squire said:
SKSemtex said:
Popchu said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:
Just seen that Felline went solo in the last hour and ended up finishing 13th, beating a lot of the main breakaway riders like EBH, Sanchez, Kung, Trentin. Not a great result for one of the pre-race favorites, but I like to see that kind of fight in a rider - especially considering about half the field just gave up when it got a bit tough.

Exactly. This is how it should be.
I think that DNF riders should be sanctioned somehow as they are getting an advantage for next race against the riders who ride till the very end. This can be important especially for the busy spring season.
I think this is a ridiculous idea. ;)

Probably.
But I do not consider it fair that you can quite the race after missing the decisive move and save the energy for the race that is held in 3days against the boys that were fighting till the end.
But it could also make the racing more entertaining as the domestics strength would be weakened.
So let's sanction all the other riders in the pro ranks who didn't ride the race. Can't let them be fresher for the other one.

Strange answer. Why should they be punished? It is a new race.
They have it in Tenis and it is working. If you are DNF because you are sick or wounded you should not take part in the races within one week. Even domestics would have to ride +200 KM and get ready for next race.

Suddenly we would not have 80% of starting field DNF and magical recoveries in 3 days. And teams would need probably more domestics it means more job fo cyclists. EDIT: Or they would need to hire and pay well only the cyclist that are capable of doing WT and finish races not only to ride the first 100 km. To tell the truth, now I am talking about a team like Bora.
This could also influence a little the discrepancy in salaries of some top riders and some the least paid domestics.

And let ´s not be naive, fixing bets in cycling is probably as easy like in no other sports and punishing DNF somehow should be on the table.

I don't know how it is in your country but due to Sagan, cycling is in Slovakia more popular than football and cycling bets are very common.

Fantastic racing. I don't really understand how some posters can complain about irrelevant issues after what we've seen today.
It was an epic day, be happy. This is the sport we love.

Most of the riders I follow on Twitter were ecstatic after the race, no matter how they finished (IF they finished). They crashed, had mechanicals, changed bike, whatever. Nobody complained. And people want to fine them. I don't get you, guys.

The whole top10 was impressive. Some surprises in there of course: Orica boys and Thwaites, but I knew Pinot could do it. Gettin in the break, pulling hard, coming back after the descents in the dust. If he keeps this up, Italian fans will love him.

Lotto is THE team for the Classics, they always make the race. I love Wellens, my favorite rider hands down. Benoot is great too, he never gives. He drops from 15 riders, he'll be in the top10 most likely. A warrior. His time will come.

Nice rides from behind by Felline, Cink and Moscon. They will do better next year with more luck.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Fantastic racing. I don't really understand how some posters can complain about irrelevant issues after what we've seen today.

Most of the riders I follow on Twitter were ecstatic after the race, no matter how they finished (IF they finished). They crashed, had mechanicals, changed bike, whatever. Nobody complained. And people want to fine them. I don't get you, guys.

The whole top10 was impressive. Some surprises in there of course: Orica boys and Thwaites, but I knew Pinot could do it. Gettin in the break, pulling hard, coming back after the descents in the dust. If he keeps this up, Italian fans will love him.

Lotto is THE team for the Classics, they always make the race. I love Wellens, my favorite rider hands down. Benoot is great too, he never gives. He drops from 15 riders, he'll be in the top10 most likely. A warrior. His time will come.

Nice rides from behind by Felline, Cink and Moscon. They will do better next year with more luck.

Aye. This race is only getting better!

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:
Just seen that Felline went solo in the last hour and ended up finishing 13th, beating a lot of the main breakaway riders like EBH, Sanchez, Kung, Trentin. Not a great result for one of the pre-race favorites, but I like to see that kind of fight in a rider - especially considering about half the field just gave up when it got a bit tough.

I think that DNF riders should be sanctioned somehow as they are getting an advantage for next race against the riders who ride till the very end. This can be important especially for the busy spring season.
As far as I know Sagan DNF.

Kokoso said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:

And? He is not the king who needs a special treatment. I like him but I hate that he is bringing his subcontinental level fellow riders to the team and they are not able to finish one single race. ( OK they were great in WRR 2016)

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
Kokoso said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:

And? He is not the king who needs a special treatment. I like him but I hate that he is bringing his subcontinental level fellow riders to the team and they are not able to finish one single race. ( OK they were great in WRR 2016)
He brought with him his brother (who won't), Kolar (a promising rouleur), Baska (a young sprinter). Last year, the only teammate who stayed with him in the finally is Oscar Gatto. I think at least Marcus Burgarth and Macec Bodnar will be at his side in the monuments.
When he signed with Bora, he said that it's very important to him that he stay with his inner circle, with guys who he trust and keep him calm and relax. He said also that the team will sign some new teammates next year.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Juraj Sagan isn't that bad. Someone who finishes top 50 in Ronde, no matter the circumstances, is not sub-continental. Besides, he beat Vakoc and finished s/t with Stybar at the Czech/Slovak National Championships.

Ok I was exaggerating. Juraj is a great boy. Last year his form was very promising and I am very curious what he will do this year. I understand that Sagan needs first of all good atmosphere around him.

Not to argue the outcome and the beauty of the race we've seen yesterday, but something seriously has to be done about the motos motorpacing. It was dreadful yesterday.
Look up a youtube clip from user cogsandpunches. I would link it if I wasnt using an ipad.

Also for anyone who likes cycling in general look up the final 10km of the womens race strade binache and I do suggest to watch it till the finish. Quite a spectaculair race that was. Crazy.

It's great to see such an entusiastic response by the riders after the race. They just love it. They know it's tough, they know it's epic, they know only the best ones can have a chance to win it and write their name in history. There is no lucky victory at Strade Bianche. You have to have balls to win it! It might not be a Monument, it might not (yet) be a Classic. But its status is growing, and growing fast year after year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's ridiculous that this only gives 300 points while Tour Down Under gives 500 points lol. And people wonder why GC riders typically gather more points than cyclists who specialize on cobbles and races like this.

An overall win in TDU is worth less than winning Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne even, in terms of prestige.

Re:

SafeBet said:

Completely agree. An enthralling race in difficult conditions.
I understand the disappointment when someone's favourite rider fails to win, but why the need to denigrate the worthy victor? It was a wonderful advertisement for the sport.

Kwibus said:
Also for anyone who likes cycling in general look up the final 10km of the womens race strade binache and I do suggest to watch it till the finish. Quite a spectaculair race that was. Crazy.

Agreed... great race !

Love the general atmosphere around Strade Bianche. Seems like everyone has a great time.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
spiritualride said:
Kwibus said:

Agreed... great race !

Love the general atmosphere around Strade Bianche. Seems like everyone has a great time.
Even the motos Drivers had a lot of fun !

TRENDING THREADS