• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 USA TV Schedule

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Nacho said:
Thanks Carols for checking that out for me. I've been watching after the fact/race the "Last 1/2/3/4/5 kilometer" videos, from Eurosport, off of a Steephill link, and noticed they didn't have CC. So, thought I'd ask about what yall are watching before I do anything to get longer, and kosher, streams.

You're very welcome! I hope you find a workable solution.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Fubo cycling does rock Giro no commercials no phil and Paul

apart from the technical issues I face with screen mirroring from laptop to tele

DVR options are limited to 2 at a time so there is some managing required to keep current

the presenters are ok not bad tolerable. there are times you can hear the music played at finish line through the PA in background today they are talking over Peter Tosh kinda cool imho

On another note I saw a Twitter reply from LA suggesting he will do a TDF Pod cast report interesting

Oh dear, I've done it again! (And off into the sin bin I go, again.)

This time it was a Polish feed (at least I think it was some sort of Slav language, which I technically should understand), couldn't understand a word of it. But...

Which ever person had commentated this stage seemed very bored with it - don't know if it was the language, or the stage itself.

Was the stage really that boring?

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Oh dear, I've done it again! (And off into the sin bin I go, again.)

This time it was a Polish feed (at least I think it was some sort of Slav language, which I technically should understand), couldn't understand a word of it. But...

Which ever person had commentated this stage seemed very bored with it - don't know if it was the language, or the stage itself.

Was the stage really that boring?

Let's just say I had to go look it up to remind myself who won :). But my memory isn't what it was decades ago. 4-5 hours of little action day after day does get a bit boring. I actually waited an hour to start it today :eek:

Re:

Potomac said:
How has tour of california coverage been going? Do they cut away to hockey just before stage finishes? I'm only asking because I'm tempted to watch tonight's stage live.

LOL I have have dvred it every day. So far it has finished before hockey has started. That is of course no guarantee that if it isn't complete before hockey that they won't cut away :).

Fubo Not streaming this AM :( It just keeps playing the same bit over and over. I guess if there is a stage they Mess Up this is the one to do it on. Of course there is no response to either phone or email support. There better be someone minding the store on the weekend!

Carols said:
Okay Fubo is fixed :). Only missed 35 minutes of a dull stage LOL!

It was a Bad day...stream in and out throughout the entire stage. When they made the dvr available it was 5 minutes long..... But if you go and watch the station it is on right now 86km to go. As if I will sit through 86km of dullness now....No Chance.

Re:

Potomac said:
How has tour of california coverage been going? Do they cut away to hockey just before stage finishes? I'm only asking because I'm tempted to watch tonight's stage live.
Coverage on NBCSN cable TV channel has been good, if you like Phil & Paul (I do -- warts and all LOL, I think they add so much to the coverage). Christian Vande Velde is there too, fer sure (I don't care for him!), but no Bob Role. I've noticed only a few picture cutouts, but it seems to me the helicopter noise is quite high when they use he helo shots.

I don't care for those Steve Porino segments one-iota though! It doesn't add any information that couldn't have come from an interview, and if you think about it, there has to be this big-a.s motorcycle with a second person to drive him around, and then more likely than not they have a second motorcycle with a TV camera on Steve. So, there are 2 extra big motorcycles and 4 persons helping to clog up the course and giving information that doesn't matter 1 bit.

EDIT: I don't think they have been interrupted lead-in, as the soccer seems to be re-plays. One segment of bicycle even ran a little long and interrupted the program following, and I said YES! about time.

i don't mind Porino at all, and Phil & Paul are fine, especially after having to listen to Kirby all spring, but I can't stand Jens. he's completely useless, only stating whether he thinks the breakway will win or not every single day. sometimes he adds a half-assed prediction, but that's it. having to listen to him for three weeks during the Tour the past few years has been excruciating. while Vande Velde also isn't great, at least he attempts to get insightful, but his inability to put together a complete sentence gets in the way a lot. i like him and he seems intelligent, but he's not good at talking. i miss Todd Gogulski from the Universal Sports days, he was awesome. he was fantastic the one year they had him on the TdF coverage in 2011.

Re:

Nacho said:
Yeah, Jens is pretty useless. Forgot about him, they don't use him much!

And after I gave NBC a good bill for not running soccer over, they go and run horse racing over 5-6-7 minutes. Bleh!

LOL there are those of us that appreciate horse racing...I bred and raced thoroughbreds for 17 years! The 5 minute overlap of an ITT with no contenders on the course was Zero Loss IMO :).

Meanwhile with the incessant commercials (I've gotten used to Fubo Giro No Commercials) and the naseauing P&P I do quite a bit of FFing through the show. Actually I like the Steve Porino segments most of the time. Jens is UGH! ToC has been a decent race so far and it's nice to have it on my real DVR and TV!

Re:

zlev11 said:
i don't mind Porino at all, and Phil & Paul are fine, especially after having to listen to Kirby all spring, but I can't stand Jens. he's completely useless, only stating whether he thinks the breakway will win or not every single day. sometimes he adds a half-assed prediction, but that's it. having to listen to him for three weeks during the Tour the past few years has been excruciating. while Vande Velde also isn't great, at least he attempts to get insightful, but his inability to put together a complete sentence gets in the way a lot. i like him and he seems intelligent, but he's not good at talking. i miss Todd Gogulski from the Universal Sports days, he was awesome. he was fantastic the one year they had him on the TdF coverage in 2011.

GoGo was my Fav! Great on the Giro and so many other races on Universal. I Really Miss him. He is usually only on Tour of Utah now.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Nacho said:
Yeah, Jens is pretty useless. Forgot about him, they don't use him much!

And after I gave NBC a good bill for not running soccer over, they go and run horse racing over 5-6-7 minutes. Bleh!

LOL there are those of us that appreciate horse racing...I bred and raced thoroughbreds for 17 years! The 5 minute overlap of an ITT with no contenders on the course was Zero Loss IMO :).

Meanwhile with the incessant commercials (I've gotten used to Fubo Giro No Commercials) and the naseauing P&P I do quite a bit of FFing through the show. Actually I like the Steve Porino segments most of the time. Jens is UGH! ToC has been a decent race so far and it's nice to have it on my real DVR and TV!

Yall come on now! :D Most of the stuff he talks about comes from interviews before the race started. Why not just show the interview, video-recorded, instead of clogging up the race route with extra motorcycles? They're trying to attach more importance to what he says by presenting it live moving alongside the racers, like it is some breaking news or something.

I didn't miss his segments during the ITT one bit. :D

I guess it is the noise of the motorcycles rather than the helos that I was remembering about, in the Tour of California. The one in the breakaway group is so loud it drowns out the announcers sometimes.

Carols said:
FUBO Sucks....Friday an unwatchable stream, today No Stream at all :( I'm So Glad I only paid $14 for this lack of service!

I was very unimpressed as well. I did the 7 day free trial, and the quality of the stream was abysmal at times. A real shame they have the Giro rights for the time being. :(

Moviefan1203 said:
Carols said:
FUBO Sucks....Friday an unwatchable stream, today No Stream at all :( I'm So Glad I only paid $14 for this lack of service!

I was very unimpressed as well. I did the 7 day free trial, and the quality of the stream was abysmal at times. A real shame they have the Giro rights for the time being. :(

I didn't get to see 1 minute of today's stage on Fubo, none of their channels are working not just cycling. I used 4 different streams in multi languages but at least I saw it! Fubo better provide a dvr of it so I can watch the finale again.

Carols said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Carols said:

I didn't get to see 1 minute of today's stage on Fubo, none of their channels are working not just cycling. I used 4 different streams in multi languages but at least I saw it! Fubo better provide a dvr of it so I can watch the finale again.

Fubo did provide a full viewing of the stage and a full dvr file.

From all the paid services that I have done in the past, Fubo is the worst service that I have ever had. It does not compare to Phil and Paul. Not even that. The fact that I had to go to other sources to get the replays make this service worthless. It takes forever for the replay to come up. The replay to Oropa was erased so I never got to re-watched it. And its replay capabilities are just limited. :mad:

So what's up with the cycling broadcasting? No company can make enough money on the Giro? It is a pity.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
From all the paid services that I have done in the past, Fubo is the worst service that I have ever had. It does not compare to Phil and Paul. Not even that. The fact that I had to go to other sources to get the replays make this service worthless. It takes forever for the replay to come up. The replay to Oropa was erased so I never got to re-watched it. And its replay capabilities are just limited. :mad:

So what's up with the cycling broadcasting? No company can make enough money on the Giro? It is a pity.

I cannot disagree with you re:Fubo.

The market for the Giro is tiny in the USA. 3 different US TV channels have carried it in the last 15+ years and all lost money on cycling. The only race that makes $ here is le Tour :(.

So this year we are reduced to Fubo as no tv station bought the rights to the RCS races+ that beIN held. Evidently Fubo bought multi year rights, hopefully their service will improve. It's this or crappy, malware filled streams in different languages which is what I've had to settle for 2 times in 15 stages.

I did get to rewatch Oropa 2xs and just rewatched the finale of yesterdays stage and then deleted it from my dvr list.

Meanwhile I put in a satellite dish 4 years ago so I could get all 3 cycling channels when Universal became a subscription station. Now there are 2 stations, both owned by NBC. I'll see which one carries the Vuelta this year and decide whether it is worthwhile keeping the satellite or downsizing as you can get NBCSN from any carrier now. Although I do love my Hopper :).

yeah i kinda gave up on Fubo after the first week. i planned on using it with my roku player but for whatever the reason the picture on their fubo app constantly skips frames and has strange motion blurring. also, whenever I watched something on the DVR (which was not available on the roku app!!) it would randomly reset itself to the beginning of the video every 15-20 minutes. i went back to watch Fridays stage on the DVR because I didn't feel like downloading a 5GB torrent of that stage and it was completely unwatchable due to some unresolved technical issues they seemed to be having with the feed. i can't imagine having paid $40 for this service, it is barely worth the $14 that I spent.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
For the Giro, I've just been pulling up live youtube channels (usually broadcasting Tiz), and flipping it to my Roku on the flatscreen. A little grainy, but free. YMMV.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Just a couple of comments.

While Fubo has not been great, especially on Roku(FuboCycling Channel will go backwards one screen occasionally). I think it is miles ahead of having to deal with illegal streams because of a few reasons.
-Picture quality has been great on Roku and PC.
-Commentary is in English
*Reliable stream : While I get kicked off on Roku, I know that my stream won't be blocked because of copyright forcing me to look for a new stream.
*I get the impression streaming on a computer has not been as problematic, but can't say for sure.

It's miles behind NBCSportsGold in terms of features so I hope they can improve. The main issue, I have is that their standard pricing is ridiculous for what I want, which is cycling only. I'm not paying ~$40 month for this and after the Giro is over, I won't simply forget to cancel.

Commentary personalities.
I vastly prefer Kirby and Dan Lloyd to Liggett and Sherwin and here's why. I'm guessing that no-one has any issues with Dan Lloyd, so I won't comment about him directly.

-Kirby shows excitement
-He'll tell you who is attacking
-He'll tell you who is in the break
-He'll tell you who has been dropped.
-He'll acknowledge tweets sent to him
-He'll go off script and rant at some random local establishment.This is important since you might listen to him for more than 2 hours.
-He is always partnered with a competent former cyclist who will temper his wrong predictions

I tuned into the tour of california and PandP could not be bothered to mention who was attacking or in the break

Latest posts