• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 USA TV Schedule

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So here's the latest update I got from NBC (will not disclose any names, seeing as I would consider it rude):

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us and we are sorry for the issues you are experiencing while trying to make a purchase. There is currently an issue with some versions of Firefox where it does not automatically resize the payment page. Once you select your payment method you will need to physically scroll down in the window by clicking on the down arrow button. You will then see the rest of the purchase flow..

If you continue to have an issue please use a different browser to make your purchase. If this is not the case and you are having another issue please let us know.

Sorry for any confusion.

Evidently NBC doesn't like my browser, so I need to switch to another one in order to watch and pay for some live mutherfucking cycling?

PS - Carol, I know we would like to do things the right way, but NBC is making it rather problematic. So with my head hung in shame off to the dark side I go again.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Nacho said:
It's now $40 for the whole year (apparently through June of 2018), just a few weeks ago they wanted $20 for just this year's Dauphine and Tour de Suisse. I'm almost tempted to do it. On principle, though, it bothers me to have to pay extra.

When I first started using NBCSports Gold the only race on offer was the Tour De France and it cost $40. I am over the moon that my $40 now offers a lot more races! Considering I payed fubo $15 for one race, I consider this an excellent deal. Just looked at NBCSports Gold and will be able to watch the Tour De Suise and Dephaune either live or on-demand! Woohoo!

I use my Roku and have always been pleased with the service.

muvonga said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Nacho said:
It's now $40 for the whole year (apparently through June of 2018), just a few weeks ago they wanted $20 for just this year's Dauphine and Tour de Suisse. I'm almost tempted to do it. On principle, though, it bothers me to have to pay extra.

When I first started using NBCSports Gold the only race on offer was the Tour De France and it cost $40. I am over the moon that my $40 now offers a lot more races! Considering I payed fubo $15 for one race, I consider this an excellent deal. Just looked at NBCSports Gold and will be able to watch the Tour De Suise and Dephaune either live or on-demand! Woohoo!

Who does the announcing and color-announcing on the NBCSports Gold? Do Phil & Paul & Van Velde do it also? Is it the exact same coverage you would get on the NBCSN channel (if you ever watch it), or is it different?

Sometimes when I'm watching cycling on NBCSN, I notice Paul is gone sometimes for a period of time. I thought that maybe he was jumping back-and-forth between NBCSN and NBCSports Gold (streaming).

muvonga said:

I bit the bullet and have purchased the cycling package, turns out I already had Microsoft Edge (they call it "Edge" now and not Explorer?) on my pooter, didn't know it came with it. But the payment transaction went smoothly on that browser, am glad I didn't have to download another one.

So far my Roku says "Coverage to begin shortly", NBC isn't very good about updating start times on their website.

Anyhoo, $40 for the whole year is a good deal, I wasn't about to pay $20 for just two races a few weeks ago. Can't vouch for the stream quality yet, but it can't be any worse than the streams I had borrowed from the dark side.

May 22, 2017
Visit site

Nacho said:
muvonga said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Nacho said:

Who does the announcing and color-announcing on the NBCSports Gold? Do & Van Velde do it also? Is it the exact same coverage you would get on the NBCSN channel (if you ever watch it), or is it different?

Sometimes when I'm watching cycling on NBCSN, I notice Paul is gone sometimes for a period of time. I thought that maybe he was jumping back-and-forth between NBCSN and NBCSports Gold (streaming).

For NBC Gold, I last recall hearing Phil & Paul during the Tour De France. In the past, since the broadcast can be over 3hrs, the early morning coverage is done by a presenter from the international feed. At some point later in the day Phil & Paul would show up. I haven't noticed them presenting much on other races, it's mostly someone from the international feed, which pleases me.

My impression is that for most races, the NBC Gold presenter is not the same presenter that appears on network TV. One example, was that Bobke(Bob Roll) was covering a race on TV, but Matthew Keenan was the presenter available on NBC Gold for the same race. You basically get the race, no commercials and without any studio production.

Lately, the commentator will provide a twitter account for viewers to send in questions, which is nice way to keep everyone engaged. It's usually just one commentator as well. Those are the major/minor differences.

May 22, 2017
Visit site

Tricycle Rider said:
muvonga said:

I bit the bullet and have purchased the cycling package, turns out I already had Microsoft Edge (they call it "Edge" now and not Explorer?) on my pooter, didn't know it came with it. But the payment transaction went smoothly on that browser, am glad I didn't have to download another one.

So far my Roku says "Coverage to begin shortly", NBC isn't very good about updating start times on their website.

Anyhoo, $40 for the whole year is a good deal, I wasn't about to pay $20 for just two races a few weeks ago. Can't vouch for the stream quality yet, but it can't be any worse than the streams I had borrowed from the dark side.

Hope you enjoy it!

Now that I've been following the Dauphine all week on NBCSports Gold I'd have to say I'm pleased with the quality of the stream, don't actually have the sound on because I couldn't care less what the commentators have to say.

Don't know what the Tour will look like seeing as I think server traffic will be busier here in the States, but if it stays like this I'm cool with it.

I like the race starting times at the Dauphine, btw., they always seem to finish before I have to leave for work.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Now that I've been following the Dauphine all week on NBCSports Gold I'd have to say I'm pleased with the quality of the stream, don't actually have the sound on because I couldn't care less what the commentators have to say.

Don't know what the Tour will look like seeing as I think server traffic will be busier here in the States, but if it stays like this I'm cool with it.

I like the race starting times at the Dauphine, btw., they always seem to finish before I have to leave for work.

Glad you've had a positive experience.

In regards to the Tour De France on NBCGold in past years there hasn't been a significant difference with other races. While the Dauphine has been showing around the last 40K or so, the Tour usually has a much longer broadcast. Paul and Phil will probably make appearances, while they are currently nowhere to be found. I don't expect and have not experienced any lag because of more users, but I don't know how many more people are using the product this year.

The most significant difference is when you watch the Tour from your computer instead of Roku. NBC will have a portion of the screen dedicated to race details. They call it Tour Tracker. If you maximize the screen you'll just see the race. In particular you'll have a list of all the cyclists and where they are located in the pelaton. It makes it easy to quickly find out who's in the break and who's been dropped.

Here is the kind of stuff we have to put up with NBC's coverage, of cycling in general, and the TDF specifically, this year. Here is their official page on their scheduled coverage. It can be accessed right off of their cycling website:

http://www.nbcsports.com/cycling-schedule

Go down to where the TDF broadcasting schedule is, under the last 2 columns which are streaming (but not their hi-priced streaming) and broadcast on cable channel NBCSN. According to it we don't get to watch the first 3 stages, but on July 1 we get to watch stage 4, which won't be contested until July 4th. And then we don't get to watch the last 3 stages.

Practically every entry in these 2 columns for the TDF is wrong! And here we are less than 2 weeks before it starts. It wouldn't be so bad if they left an email address to where you could contact them and have them check out/redo the schedule, but they don't want to hear from the persons that watch their coverage. They pretty much ignore any question left on their facebook page. Their facebook page is fast becoming a joke page. Their cycling website is too. I wish they would give the coverage over to somebody else to broadcast, someone that would take it seriously.

Re:

Nacho said:
Here is the kind of stuff we have to put up with NBC's coverage, of cycling in general, and the TDF specifically, this year. Here is their official page on their scheduled coverage. It can be accessed right off of their cycling website:

Go down to where the TDF broadcasting schedule is, under the last 2 columns which are streaming (but not their hi-priced streaming) and broadcast on cable channel NBCSN. According to it we don't get to watch the first 3 stages, but on July 1 we get to watch stage 4, which won't be contested until July 4th. And then we don't get to watch the last 3 stages.

Practically every entry in these 2 columns for the TDF is wrong! And here we are less than 2 weeks before it starts. It wouldn't be so bad if they left an email address to where you could contact them and have them check out/redo the schedule, but they don't want to hear from the persons that watch their coverage. They pretty much ignore any question left on their facebook page. Their facebook page is fast becoming a joke page. Their cycling website is too. I wish they would give the coverage over to somebody else to broadcast, someone that would take it seriously.

The webpage is just outdated. I'm sure they will be showing every stage live on streaming and on NBCSN. There is a preview show on Friday 6/23 1PM EDT, with multiple repeats over a few days. They will let us know when the first stage starts :)

Good to see there is daily coverage of the Vuelta even though it is delayed on Universal HD.

At least I will have copies of both the Tour and Vuelta to make dvds from should I so choose. Since the Giro was only streaming on Fubo, for the first time in decades I do no have a copy of the Giro :(

Actually I think it was recently edited, but very badly edited. I look at that page pretty regularly, but I don't always pull it down all the way. I don't remember there being entries there for the TDF. I didn't know about the preview show. Thanks. I'll be sure to watch it.

Also, I use "zap2it.com" for TV listings. You can punch on a channel icon and get a 2 week channel listing for just that channel. I punch on the NBCSN link and then browser search for "cycl". Finds motorcycle listings too though. Or, if you are expecting a Tour, search on "Tour" because "cycl" isn't always in the name.

(BTW, rant -- I wish that when people write newspaper/online news articles, they would use only the words "motorcycle" and "bicycle" when referring to each. I don't know how many articles I've seen where they use the word "cycle", and it catches my eye for something about bicycle, and I read it only for it to take forever to guess by context that they are talking about motorcycles!)

Carols,

Do you ever re-watch those DVDs? It's just me I guess, but me putting something on a DVD or buying the movie on DVD is a death sentence for that program! If it comes on broadcast TV then I will make time to watch it knowing that I can't miss it. But if I have it on DVD, I know I can watch it at any time, and then it turns out I never watch it.

Re:

Nacho said:
Carols,

Do you ever re-watch those DVDs? It's just me I guess, but me putting something on a DVD or buying the movie on DVD is a death sentence for that program! If it comes on broadcast TV then I will make time to watch it knowing that I can't miss it. But if I have it on DVD, I know I can watch it at any time, and then it turns out I never watch it.

Sure I watch the dvds, mostly on the trainer in the winter when there is no cycling. But I can get a yen to see some cycling any time of the year and there is no race on so I will pull something out! LOL I never put on the dvd who won so sometimes I've forgotten the winner, especially in classics, and it's like watching a new race. I never tire of watching Il Pirata :)

Re:

Nacho said:
Actually I think it was recently edited, but very badly edited. I look at that page pretty regularly, but I don't always pull it down all the way. I don't remember there being entries there for the TDF. I didn't know about the preview show. Thanks. I'll be sure to watch it.

Also, I use "zap2it.com" for TV listings. You can punch on a channel icon and get a 2 week channel listing for just that channel. I punch on the NBCSN link and then browser search for "cycl". Finds motorcycle listings too though. Or, if you are expecting a Tour, search on "Tour" because "cycl" isn't always in the name.

(BTW, rant -- I wish that when people write newspaper/online news articles, they would use only the words "motorcycle" and "bicycle" when referring to each. I don't know how many articles I've seen where they use the word "cycle", and it catches my eye for something about bicycle, and I read it only for it to take forever to guess by context that they are talking about motorcycles!)

That zap2it is pretty cool. I put in Tour de France....all the dates/times for the preview show came up :) Using 'cycling' I found the 2015 and 2016: Blackberry Farm Pro-AM Classic on FoxSportsSE! Thanks for the tip!

Carols said:
Nacho said:

The webpage is just outdated. I'm sure they will be showing every stage live on streaming and on NBCSN. There is a preview show on Friday 6/23 1PM EDT, with multiple repeats over a few days. They will let us know when the first stage starts :)

Good to see there is daily coverage of the Vuelta even though it is delayed on Universal HD.

At least I will have copies of both the Tour and Vuelta to make dvds from should I so choose. Since the Giro was only streaming on Fubo, for the first time in decades I do no have a copy of the Giro :(

The schedule page looks clean now. So it looks like every stage is been show start to finish.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
So far NBCSports Gold has been awesome. They have dropped Paul and Phil, with commentary for the full race provided by Matthew Keenan and I think Robbie McEwen.

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Nacho said:
Quite a few posters on NBC's facebook page seem PO'ed that Phil & Paul were replaced on NBC Gold by Keenan & McEwen, and thought they were going to get Phil & Paul.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCSportsCycling

Poor people. I'm glad I have NBCSN in my Sling TV package.

For those with NBC Gold, please let NBC know that you are pleased with McEwen and Keenan. I sent a note to their support email to that effect and they echoed your comments. 'Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We have received a lot of users upset we do not have Paul and Phil and it was nice to hear something positive about our new commentators.'

muvonga said:
Nacho said:
Quite a few posters on NBC's facebook page seem PO'ed that Phil & Paul were replaced on NBC Gold by Keenan & McEwen, and thought they were going to get Phil & Paul.

For those with NBC Gold, please let NBC know that you are pleased with McEwen and Keenan. I sent a note to their support email to that effect and they echoed your comments. 'Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We have received a lot of users upset we do not have Paul and Phil and it was nice to hear something positive about our new commentators.'

You know -- another thing about NBCSN vs. NBC Gold. In the evening re-broadcast NBCSN has an expanded program. More commentary and they cut out some of the boring cycling parts. I'm sure they will discuss the Sagan/Cav situation in detail (or in ad-nauseum) tonight. Do you get to see any pre-show or expanded coverage after the race with NBC Gold?

May 22, 2017
Visit site

Nacho said:
muvonga said:
Nacho said:

You know -- another thing about NBCSN vs. NBC Gold. In the evening re-broadcast NBCSN has an expanded program. More commentary and they cut out some of the boring cycling parts. I'm sure they will discuss the Sagan/Cav situation in detail (or in ad-nauseum) tonight. Do you get to see any pre-show or expanded coverage after the race with NBC Gold?

The content is basically the international feed(over 5hrs of cycling) without commercial break but, otherwise barebones. You'll get stage winner interviews along with those of the jersey holders as well, but once the last stage presentation is over that's it.

If you've been watching the tour in the USA on NBCSN, then tomorrow's stage#8 on Sat July 8 will not be shown on NBCSN, rather on NBC's regular broadcast channel. Starts at 7:00am CST. My TV listings don't show a separate "Preview" show on NBCSN nor NBC. I don't think this affects NBC Gold any.

Please tell me this isn't happening :( They were supposed to be carrying the Vuelta again this year!

"Universal HD is a soon-to-be-defunct American digital cable and satellite television network that is owned by the Universal Television Networks unit of the NBCUniversal Television Group subsidiary of NBCUniversal. The network – which exclusively broadcasts in 1080i high definition – features a mix of films, drama series, sports, specials and performance arts programming from the NBCUniversal library, most of which are sourced from the company's cable networks."

EDIT: Okay I checked NBCSN cycling schedule and it says the Vuelta will now be on The Olympic Channel which is the channel replacing Universal HD. So I called DISH to see if they will be carrying The Olympic Channel and the answer was 'We'll have to check with the executive of the programming department'. I guess I'll find out on 7/15 when the switch is made by NBC :(.