• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

2017 Worlds BERGEN, Norway, TTT, Sunday 17th Sept

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Ok so what is Dennis best result on a MTF this year?
15th on Terminillo - he was 2nd overall there. Probably more importantly, he was 9th to Fermo on the murito in the same group as the winner. The Suisse TT was fairly similar, except the climb came towards the end rather than at the end, but it was hard enough for Pozzo to finish only 1 minute down. So Dennis has a decent chance but it hinges more on Dumoulin having a big off day or having an issue on the course (mechanical, crash, intestinal problems etc.). He'll probably finish ahead of Froome though.
 
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
yaco said:
The ITT is Dennis' to lose as he's been the best TTer in 2017 - He's much better suited with the length of the course which is 31km.
Dennis rode 3 ITT's this year. He won all three, but none of them were in a gt where the TT specialists are usually at their best so not sure if he is really the clear favorite like you say. I'd rather put my money on Dumoulin

Dennis should be the clear favourite - Whether he can do it is another question - Both Dennis and Dumoulin have had their share of disappointments at the World's/Olympics.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Gigs_98 said:
yaco said:
The ITT is Dennis' to lose as he's been the best TTer in 2017 - He's much better suited with the length of the course which is 31km.
Dennis rode 3 ITT's this year. He won all three, but none of them were in a gt where the TT specialists are usually at their best so not sure if he is really the clear favorite like you say. I'd rather put my money on Dumoulin

Dennis should be the clear favourite - Whether he can do it is another question - Both Dennis and Dumoulin have had their share of disappointments at the World's/Olympics.
Why should he be the favourite.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Visit site
This hype around dennis is getting ridiculous.... sometimes I think people are talking about cance instead of dennis. Two years ago he only beat cance, dumoulin and martin because of the wind. Seriously, quintana only lost 10 seconds to froome because of this
 
Also great performance by Sunweb. In hindsight a great complete roster for this course, allthough you can never predict if the young ones will perform.
Mathews and Dumoulin are garanteed great riders for a TTT. Kelderman came off a great vuelta and obviously also a rider you want in your team on a course like this. The 3 talents were doing great in the vuelta and letting them ride the vuelta made sure thhey reached this ttt in great form.

Still not a sky lineup, but a thhomas out of form is a big name that doesnt perform.
 
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
yaco said:
The ITT is Dennis' to lose as he's been the best TTer in 2017 - He's much better suited with the length of the course which is 31km.

I agree. If it was 40km than dumo and froone were favourites. 30km and lumpy is perfect for Dennis..

This is not lumpy, this is a MTF. Dennis has probably been the favorite for the past three championship ITTs (Worlds and Olympics) and has never been better than fifth. So I really don't think he is severely underestimated going into this.
 
Re:

Tarnum said:
The difference between Team Sparebanken Sør (slowest male team) and the Sunweb women, was smaller than that between the Sunweb men and Trek.

I think that it illustrate a couple of things: 1. The difference between men and women in cycling is less than many think. 2. Sparebanken Sør probably have a total budget that is about 5% of Froome's annual salary. Off course there is a big difference between the fastest and the slowest team.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Visit site
I think sky doesn't give a sh## about this TTT. I think they are already preparing the TTT in the 2018 tour. I think thomas was inclued in the team because of this
 
Re: Re:

Norbea said:
Tarnum said:
The difference between Team Sparebanken Sør (slowest male team) and the Sunweb women, was smaller than that between the Sunweb men and Trek.

I think that it illustrate a couple of things: 1. The difference between men and women in cycling is less than many think. 2. Sparebanken Sør probably have a total budget that is about 5% of Froome's annual salary. Off course there is a big difference between the fastest and the slowest team.

I seem to recall that some of the female teams were actually faster than the slowest male teams last year.
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kwibus said:
yaco said:
The ITT is Dennis' to lose as he's been the best TTer in 2017 - He's much better suited with the length of the course which is 31km.

I agree. If it was 40km than dumo and froone were favourites. 30km and lumpy is perfect for Dennis..
I disagree, anything between 30-40km and hilly, especially hard hilly, is perfect for Dumoulin.

Its certainly good for dumo, but I still expect dennis as his biggest rival. We will see.
 
I expect more from Froome.

If this was 30km flat. Dennis. If this was 40km flat, hell, maybe evne Martin.

But 30km with such a tough hill at the end? Like I said, it really reminds me of the Alto de Aia TT in Basque country. it was shorter, but we all know how that went. And look how big Dumoulin's domination was on hilly TT's in the Tour 2016 and Giro 2017.. On a tough course I'd rate Dumo above Dennis any day. The way I see it only Froome can challenge him
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Norbea said:
Tarnum said:
The difference between Team Sparebanken Sør (slowest male team) and the Sunweb women, was smaller than that between the Sunweb men and Trek.

I think that it illustrate a couple of things: 1. The difference between men and women in cycling is less than many think. 2. Sparebanken Sør probably have a total budget that is about 5% of Froome's annual salary. Off course there is a big difference between the fastest and the slowest team.

I seem to recall that some of the female teams were actually faster than the slowest male teams last year.

Again, I don't understand these comparisons at all.
At any world class levels the difference between men and women in cycling is absolutely massive. That's not to say, for example, that women such as Vos aren't impressive. Of course they are! They have the achieve the pinnacle of their potential. But they are levels below anything near WT level teams.
The best woman's team in the world is 2 minutes 20 seconds behind a division 3 team consisting of 11 Norwegian 19-25 year olds in a medium length TTT.
That is a lot!
The gap between the two Sunweb teams was just less than 8 minutes - around 2 minutes per 10 km or an average of 53 km/h compared to 45km/h.
These are massive differences.
 
Re: Re:

titan31 said:
Red Rick said:
Ok so what is Dennis best result on a MTF this year?

1st if this counts

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_of_the_Alps_2017_Stage_2

That's a hill not a mountain. The rider of Rohan is certainly strong on hills, but I can't remember him being a real competitor in the mountains in a top class race (i.e. anything higher than the Tour of Colarado). I think he should get a medal in the ITT, but Major Tom and, probably, ET will beat him.

I was surprised that G got dropped on the hill. Sky definitely treated this TTT very seriously, so as suggested he was a bit "off colour" (ill) today.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Kinda sad that they won't use that climb in the RR, that was a good ramp with a max gradient of 16%, that would have made the RR circuit harder.