• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Worlds Championships startlist

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
b.broadhurst said:
Great Britain

TT: Froome Cummings

Road Race: Doull Blythe Christian Kennaugh Dibben Swift Stannard Thwaites Geogheghan Hart

Good to see Froome finishing his season with the TT, he has a small chance but very unlikely to beat Dumoulin.

That road race squad is terrible though. All the big names missing - Froome Thomas Yates x 2 Cavendish Dowsett Rowe Cummings

Oh please, Ben Swift's finally gonna do it.

Re: Re:

Bardamu said:
Escarabajo said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
What happened to US cycling anyway... lack of stars there.

Well, at least their future looks kinda ok
The Texan destroyed it.

The mindset of the American is different to the European and the South American.
How is it different?
Off topic.

Just talking with people here where I live. I have been surprised TBH. Again off topic.

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
b.broadhurst said:
Great Britain

TT: Froome Cummings

Road Race: Doull Blythe Christian Kennaugh Dibben Swift Stannard Thwaites Geogheghan Hart

Good to see Froome finishing his season with the TT, he has a small chance but very unlikely to beat Dumoulin.

That road race squad is terrible though. All the big names missing - Froome Thomas Yates x 2 Cavendish Dowsett Rowe Cummings

It's not a strong team, but only Thomas and Rowe would improve it. The other 6 riders would add experience but are not suited to the course. This is an issue for GB on this type of course. They have plenty of guys who can do a decent domestique job, but lack genuine contenders.

Re:

b.broadhurst said:
Do Sky have a chance in the TTT?

Froome, Thomas, Kiryienka, Kwiatkowski, Moscon plus 1 from below I guess.

Kennaugh, Poels, Puccini or Stannard

Yes.

I also think Katusha have a great chance, I would love for Kristoff to ride it to open his legs up for the RR.

My prediction:
BMC
Sky
Sunweb
Etixx
Katusha

Re:

b.broadhurst said:
Do Sky have a chance in the TTT?

Froome, Thomas, Kiryienka, Kwiatkowski, Moscon plus 1 from below I guess.

Kennaugh, Poels, Puccini or Stannard

Confirmed today.

The 5 big guns as expected plus Doull which is a slight surprise but he did a very good time trial in the Tour of Britain and is a former pursuiter.

ciranda said:
Danish selection
Valgren, Cort, Kragh Andersen S, Juul-Jensen, Pedersen, Mørkøv

Mørkøv instead of Breschel is ***. I think Anders Lund's closeness to Breschel must have influenced this choice. But obviously you can't talk about favoritism with someone who has finished second, third, fourth and seventh. Or maybe Matti said he is not in shape Idk. Disappointing anyway and I would not take Magnus Cort either.

TT Norman Hansen and Toft Madsen so I guess Pedersen and Juul-Jensen said no.

Can only agree, Mørkøv is a very bad choise. Anders Lund probably watched to much Vuelta on danish TV with the commentators there wanting to pick him. But the race is indeed too hard and too long for him and he will be of no use to the team. If they just wanted a pure helper for the first 200 kms someone like Lars Bak would have been a much better pick since Mørkøv will not be in the final. And yes I also think Anders Lund not picking Breschel is a sort of reverse-nepotism, simply not picking his friend being afraid people thinking it would be nepotism, but Breschel is a championship-rider and would have been a good pick despite his mediocre form. BUt he has some positioning-skills that are just as important and I dont think the form is that bad either. If not Breschel (with Fuglsang totally out of shape) I would actually have picked good old Chris Anker Sorensen that is actuallly in good form and who were also always very good in championships, and also can do well in bad weather. He would have been a great helper very long in the race.

Chris Anker is in horrible in wet weather. I would a few riders above him on such a route.

Your point about reverse nepotism is great tho - I think thats exactly the case. Sure, Mørkøv proved valuable for Zakarin one a stage or two, but everyone could have done what he did. Didn't prove to me he was in good shape. I also don't like his personality, he seems to value himself way too highly which is pretty annoying.

SKY look really strong for the TTT

Not sure about the french selection....

The Belgians ...wow ...everyone in the team could win
Of course said this about Spaish teams in the past on hily courses and they still managed to mess it up and a lone rider sneak in for the win

I hope they really go for it and attack
If it rains it suits them even better
I just want an open attacking race and Belgium being the strongest can provide that ... not wait for the end

Any chance of cross winds ? if so they have sown it up

Re: Re:

shalgo said:
Knutsen said:
https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Hordaland/Bergen/Bergen/long.html?spr=eng
After reading volume 5 of My Struggle, I refuse to believe that there are ever sunny days in Bergen.

Number of days with rain (regndagar) per month in blue - average hours of sunshine (soltimmar) in yellow

soltimmar-regndagar.php

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Chris Anker is in horrible in wet weather. I would a few riders above him on such a route.

Your point about reverse nepotism is great tho - I think thats exactly the case. Sure, Mørkøv proved valuable for Zakarin one a stage or two, but everyone could have done what he did. Didn't prove to me he was in good shape. I also don't like his personality, he seems to value himself way too highly which is pretty annoying.

You are propably right about Chris Anker and the bad weather, just felt he ought to be okay having done well in a lot of races that often has bad weather like Liege-Bastogne-Liege, The Worlds, Paris-Nice, Tour Of Poland and so on, but 30 seconds research and I can see he states he hates rain :). With the forecast looking good now I do think he would have been a good pick though. And yes regarding Mørkøv all that extreme confidence in interviews followed by 50. places in the masssprints and bad excuses are getting pretty annoying indeed. He is for sure a good leadout-rider in flat races, but not much more than that (at least on the road).

TRENDING THREADS