• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Gent-Wevelgem, Deinze › Wevelgem (251.1k) - March 25

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2018 Gent-Wevelgem, Deinze › Wevelgem (251.1k) - March 2

SKSemtex said:
Actually I do not like this win. I do not understand why he showed his cards. People really started to underestimate him. Now he has the biggest mark again. And no cooperation again. Nobody will pull him to the finish.

That's ridiculous. Nobody's ever going to overlook Sagan unless he's going in a break over the Tourmalet or something.

A win's a win. Enjoy it, and don't be arrogant.

Re: Re:

krakenKE said:
DFA123 said:
Great chance for Sagan to win I think. A race which has been hard for the pure sprinters, but relatively easy for him. A bit like the WC he's won, he should be able to outsprint everyone here.

Nice call :D He did everything right in the finale. He chose the left side and was not boxed as Viviani and was able to hold his sprint to the line. He has proven that he is very hard to beat in a medium size group sprint when he is fresh. I still don't understand that he has won 0 MSR so far.
In MSR he is always more active on Poggio than those who outsprint him.

I don't think we can use this race to anything other than concluding Sagan is at least in some decent form. We know he is very good in sprints after 'easier' races - we won't see him in Dwaars, so I still think is shape is unknown going into Flanders. I don't think all of the Belgians - Sep, Greg, Oli and Phil - should fear him particularly much. All these riders seem to be on a pretty equal level.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Jancouver said:
El Pistolero said:
Give him some break, his most hated riders won WT races today, he is just mad right now.

Lol, go through my post history, I actually like Sagan. What I don't like is his whiny comments when other riders mark him during races. He's a hypocrite because most of his big wins come from passive racing.

What other WT race took place today?

LOL

is that why he won his first WC and Ronde solo? Yeah right, very passive ...

... when haters and trollers get caught in their own lies :D

Yes, his first WC was very passive until very late into the finale.

Do you even know what the word "most" means?

El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:
I'd say Ronde & 3x WC were his biggest wins.
In two of them, he attacked to win.
In other two, it was bunch sprint and any activity would mean being defeated.
Passive racing? ok :)

He was passive in all three of his WC wins, attacking or sprinting very late into the finale.
If you consider his Richmond attack passive riding, that there's nothing more to talk about :rolleyes:
You are right, he did not get his wins from day breaks.

spalco said:
SKSemtex said:
Actually I do not like this win. I do not understand why he showed his cards. People really started to underestimate him. Now he has the biggest mark again. And no cooperation again. Nobody will pull him to the finish.

That's ridiculous. Nobody's ever going to overlook Sagan unless he's going in a break over the Tourmalet or something.

A win's a win. Enjoy it, and don't be arrogant.

:) Relax. I don't want to be arrogant. To tell the truth this win mean nothing for me. This forum tought me one thing . These wins means nothings for you . It looks like only monuments and WCRR really counts.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

d-s3 said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:

He was passive in all three of his WC wins, attacking or sprinting very late into the finale.
If you consider his Richmond attack passive riding, that there's nothing more to talk about :rolleyes:

I don't think you know what aggressive riding means. Gilbert's 60KM solo in the Ronde was aggressive riding, Nibali's two Lombardia wins were aggressive riding, etc.

El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:

I don't think you know what aggressive riding means. Gilbert's 60KM solo in the Ronde was aggressive riding, Nibali's two Lombardia wins were aggressive riding, etc.

Sagan's win is basically a carbon copy of Gilbert's WC win. And not doing anything before the last 2km applies to many, many WC wins like Boonen's. Or Rui Costa's. Or Hushovd's. The list goes on.

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
JW van het Schip who was in the long break 12th is also one of the performances of the day btw :eek:
Just finished his BSc degree, same age as Van Aert. Dutch Gaudin in the making if he keeps progressing like this.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Red Rick said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:

Sagan's win is basically a carbon copy of Gilbert's WC win. And not doing anything before the last 2km applies to many, many WC wins like Boonen's. Or Rui Costa's. Or Hushovd's. The list goes on.

Where did I say Gilbert's WC win was an example of aggressive riding?

i don't care if a cyclist rides passive by the way, but don't make the kind of statements Sagan has lately made then ("I wouldn't want to win like Kwiatko or "I don't care about victories, the show is more important").

You're all completely misunderstanding me. I'm NOT upset with how Sagan won the race, but the comments he makes after he loses a race.

El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:

Waw. So unless you win solo 50+ km you are not agressive rider?

What about all final selections Sagan did over those years? What about his last year PR?

Redicolous.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:
El Pistolero said:
d-s3 said:

Waw. So unless you win solo 50+ km you are not agressive rider?

What about all final selections Sagan did over those years? What about his last year PR?

Redicolous.

He lost. What about it?

May 28, 2012
Visit site

El Pistolero said:

i don't care if a cyclist rides passive by the way, but don't make the kind of statements Sagan has lately made then ("I wouldn't want to win like Kwiatko or "I don't care about victories, the show is more important").

You're all completely misunderstanding me. I'm NOT upset with how Sagan won the race, but the comments he makes after he loses a race.

Arguing for the sake of arguing...
You were a history major, weren't you?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Pentacycle said:
El Pistolero said:

Great argument.

So none of you care when Sagan says "I don't care about victories, the show is more important" when he continues to win races by hiding until the final KMs?

Pentacycle said:
El Pistolero said:

Easy now, El Pickle is a minor.

El Pistolero said:
Pentacycle said:
El Pistolero said:

Great argument.

So none of you care when Sagan says "I don't care about victories, the show is more important" when he continues to win races by hiding until the final KMs?
I do and I have a problem with it, but the media, commentators etc. are just just too blinded to see it, it seems.

Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
Pentacycle said:
El Pistolero said:

Great argument.

I do and I have a problem with it, but the media, commentators etc. are just just too blinded to see it, it seems.
Agreed.
Overall a decent race. Obviously not as good as the last 3 editions. Sad to see Viviani crying. Phil didn't look very good on Kemmelberg. Did he have a problem with gears? Because it was weird.

El Pistolero said:
Pentacycle said:
El Pistolero said:

Great argument.

I do dislike his whining. He should get over it, it would be better for us and first of all also for him.

I just find your claim that most of his important wins come from passive riding plain stupid.
Most of his wins come from pretty normal riding for course type (2x WCs), some from attack (1 WC) and some come from really aggressive riding (Ronde).
For me, there's passive-standard-aggressive.
For you, at least when applied to Sagan, everything is passive of one does not attack from 50k+.

I often disagree with Pisti, especially when it comes to his Valverde hate, but I think everything he wrote on the last few pages was 100% true. No problem if Sagan wins Gent Wevelgem like today, just like there is no problem if Kwiat wins MSR like he did last year. But if you ride only caring about the win and without being a showman (which is perfectly fine) don't claim you are a big showman. Facts are, the last race Sagan won solo was the ronde two years ago. The last race he won in a sprint out of a small group was Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne 2017 which is also well over a year ago. Since then he has only won in bunch or reduced bunch sprints. For a rider who claims to ride for the fans, to make a big show and who wouldn't want to win after passive riding that is a very very long time.
I like Sagan and if he gets his tactics right, I'm happy about that. I would have preferred a solo winner but in the sprint I was rooting for him, so don't call me a Sagan hater. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about everything he says.

May 28, 2012
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Pentacycle said:
El Pistolero said:

Great argument.

Sure it is a controversial statement, but it was just an underhand kick meant to destabilize his opponents. Of course Sagan still wants to win, and like many cyclists he prefers solo wins but still sticks to his best weapon, the sprint. And by all means it worked on both opponents and public, because some people were fooled by his laconic appearance and the statements you addressed.

Just that Pisti claims much more than what you wrote.

What you write is largely agreeable. I like Sagan's "antics", I dislike his frustration and comments about others.
But what Pisti claims (that most of Sagan's big wins come from passive riding) is not agreeable.