• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Saint Vincent-Courmayeur 131 km

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Roglic doesnt have close to the same monster engine that Indurain has and quite frankly, I think Rogla is too afraid of going to deep due to him being a 'new' on this stage. Its super interesting, I cant remember such a tactical GT in a good sense.
He doesn't need to be the new Indurain to go half a minute faster in the final 5 km yesterday and today, just a little sense of initiative would be enough.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Roglic doesnt have close to the same monster engine that Indurain has and quite frankly, I think Rogla is too afraid of going to deep due to him being a 'new' on this stage. Its super interesting, I cant remember such a tactical GT in a good sense.
Think 2017 was tactically more interesting.

That being said I have very low standards for pro team tactics cause they didn't attack Monte Grappa in 2017.
Katusha unleashed though.

Alexandre B. said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Think 2017 was tactically more interesting.

That being said I have very low standards for pro team tactics cause they didn't attack Monte Grappa in 2017.
Katusha unleashed though.
I remember seeing the breakaway and basically Pinot, Zakarin, Quintana and Nibali had like 1 teammate between them for the flat after Monte Grappa?

Never have I been more confused.

I give a lot of importance to the Nibali 3rd place today. He was the more brilliant in a finish that suits Roglic better. In the last 5km Roglic was often saw by stretching his right leg. It's not a good sign for his third week...

Roglič and Nibali simply couldn't follow Carapaz today. They've tried, but let him go, after all. Also, no one else has been given the freedom as Carapaz has been, despite the bigger deficit in the GC and the group behind managed to bridge to Roglič/Nibali group. Contradictory a bit.
It's not a bad situation for Roglič, Movistar will have to control the affairs now, and Landa might be tied, but the way Rogla's riding doesn't leave an impression of a superior rider he's been so far.
There's certainly left a lot to ride for.

Alexandre B. said:
repre said:
Alexandre B. said:
Bob Jungels finished 47th today, 17'25" after Carapaz.

Ditching the Ardennes classics was definitely the right move.
Are you gonna post this every day until he'll turn the clock back and ride Ardennes?
Maybe. :p

Here’s a natural talent for one-day racing and rolling terrain, and he prefers to suffer for an elusive top-15 in a mountainous Grand Tour. This is not his fight, this is not his strength.
I completely agree with you, just kidding) He even can't ride TDF for GC, that suits him better, cause of other QS objectives...

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Saint Vincent-Courmayeur 13

topt said:
Gigs_98 said:
I get that not everybody sees carapaz as the favorite but how you can argue today went well for Roglic is beyond me. He basically went from "outstanding favorite, nobody except maybe Nibali can beat him" to "not even in pink and behind a seemingly stronger climber" in two days. How on earth is that good?

Roglic is a class better than everybody else in this race and will win with as little effort possible.

Yes! He will win without effort :rolleyes:

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Saint Vincent-Courmayeur 13

Blanco said:
topt said:
Gigs_98 said:
I get that not everybody sees carapaz as the favorite but how you can argue today went well for Roglic is beyond me. He basically went from "outstanding favorite, nobody except maybe Nibali can beat him" to "not even in pink and behind a seemingly stronger climber" in two days. How on earth is that good?

Roglic is a class better than everybody else in this race and will win with as little effort possible.

Yes! He will win without effort :rolleyes:
Heck, he can even win while backpedaling - that's how good he is!

repre said:
Alexandre B. said:
repre said:
Alexandre B. said:
Bob Jungels finished 47th today, 17'25" after Carapaz.

Ditching the Ardennes classics was definitely the right move.
Are you gonna post this every day until he'll turn the clock back and ride Ardennes?
Maybe. :p

Here’s a natural talent for one-day racing and rolling terrain, and he prefers to suffer for an elusive top-15 in a mountainous Grand Tour. This is not his fight, this is not his strength.
I completely agree with you, just kidding) He even can't ride TDF for GC, that suits him better, cause of other QS objectives...
He can't ride TDF for GC because after last season Mas seems a better option for that goal.

I expect Movistar to keep racing the way they have been. Carapaz needs more time before the final ITT to have a shot to actually win the overall. So controlling things isn't going to work for him. His best help is if Landa attacks and the other have to chase.

Lequack said:
Jagartrott said:
This wasn't a good day by any measure for Roglic. Gifting a better climber with a better team minutes is not very smart. There are plenty of mountains to come, and only one TT where Carapaz will not lose minutes. The racing today was extremely daft by a number of protagonists.

But same can be said for all the others. If Roglic has a bad day Nibali would be first in line to take the Giro, now he needs two people to have a bad day.

What I wonder the most is that their DSes were telling them via radio. It the DSes were saying do not chase then it's probably their fault and not the riders themselves.

They didn't lose much at all to Carapaz on what was an extremely tough penultimate climb, so it was certainly strange to see a group of riders losing a large chunk of time on false flats to a rider who isn't a strong ITT. Roglic, Nibali, even Majka; they could all regret not riding at least a little and giving up half a minute less. It could cost one of them the Giro. I am reminded of Cadel Evans on Galibier doing a power of work to limit his losses; not sure why Roglic didn't try to do even just 10% of that level of work on this stage.

Re:

Oude Geuze said:
Things will become much better for Roglic now that movistar will be pacing the mountains instead of attacking like mad men. At least he can hope for some cohesion in the MS team, but I’m not certain the pecking order has been established and Landa still has aspirations. But it will be much harder to execute 1-2 attacks with two guys close to or in the pink. Infighting might result. I still think it’s Nibali vs Roglic. Super impressed with how mature Roglic handled a very difficult week, with just one strong climber this would have been an easy Giro win for him, but damn it’s exciting!
Movistar will shed all Jumbo riders, and if Carapaz then goes, and is - like now - simply better than Roglic uphill, how is this much better for Roglic? He had a buffer, now he has none. Yesterday was not mature riding. Mature riding would have been to convince Nibali and Lopez to ride along on the last hill, hence losing a minute less to Carapaz without too much effort.

If Carapaz is just stronger, then there’s not much you can do is there? At least the pacing will be more consistent and less chaotic. Mature ride in that he doesn’t panic or seem to let himself be goaded by Nibali’s “psychological warfare”. He tries to measure his effort every day, and seems to take the long perspective. Exactly like Nibali who is wasted more experienced. Lastly, I’m not so sure Movistar can attack with a two pronged approach when they have two super strong guys with somewhat realistic chances of winning the race. It’s easier when they are 4-5min behind.

Jagartrott said:
Oude Geuze said:
Things will become much better for Roglic now that movistar will be pacing the mountains instead of attacking like mad men. At least he can hope for some cohesion in the MS team, but I’m not certain the pecking order has been established and Landa still has aspirations. But it will be much harder to execute 1-2 attacks with two guys close to or in the pink. Infighting might result. I still think it’s Nibali vs Roglic. Super impressed with how mature Roglic handled a very difficult week, with just one strong climber this would have been an easy Giro win for him, but damn it’s exciting!
Movistar will shed all Jumbo riders, and if Carapaz then goes, and is - like now - simply better than Roglic uphill, how is this much better for Roglic? He had a buffer, now he has none. Yesterday was not mature riding. Mature riding would have been to convince Nibali and Lopez to ride along on the last hill, hence losing a minute less to Carapaz without too much effort.

I can imagine Roglic asking Nibali "Don't you think we should chase Carapaz?" and the answer "Nah, he is not dangerous. Maybe after all this is over, can I come and see your ski jumping trophies?"

Jagartrott said:
Oude Geuze said:

I wonder what the DS was telling him, if he was saying go all out to catch Carapaz and still Roglic was going nowhere that would be strange. In the end it would only be a 15 minute effort after all, not like it's going to totally drain him. A 15 minute effort to save 2 minutes, how is that not worth it, even if Nibali gets a free ride.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Kristian Sbaragli finished 43rd today, seeing there are too much (lesser) sprinters on the team he decided to become their (lesser) climber for the Giro.
yeah, I was surprised when Dunne said in his blog that they wanted to get one of their "three climbers, Plaza, Neilands or Sbaragli" into the breakaway the other day - but seems like he had a point ;)