• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 19: Treviso-San Martino d. C. 151km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It would have been even more guys finishing at the same time in 2009 without di Luca opening the sprint early to catch Soler - and back then it used to be more selective than today (and as mentioned, the stage itself was more difficult)

In week three it may be a bit different of course, but I guess it's hard to expect major gaps on a climb Ulissi or Battaglin would take the win on in week 1.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 19: Treviso-San Martino d. C. 1

Just a thought...

The climb not being super-hard might make it easier to make attacks though. Not having to be on their absolute limit. At least the riders on the bottom half of the top 10 will surely try if they are feeling good.

Re: Re:

The Barb said:
yaco said:
Best chance for QS to win a stage at this Giro - I'll go for L.Hamilton.

Lucas Hamilton is most assuredly not QS's best chance to win a stage. ;)
(although his form is obviously strong and he does have a good chance)

I mede two observations in my post - That this is QS's best chance to win a stage at the Giro - Second observation is L.Hamilton is my two choice for today's stage which of course is a stab in the dark.

Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Odd Demare does not fight to get in the break, when there is still a chance to take the jersey back today.

He can't get it back today unless he finishes top 15 on the stage.

According to the danish commentators, he could take it back in the intermediate sprints after the first climb today.

No, he can't. There are only 12 points on offer there.

Thomas Bay even said exactly that. He would still need two points somewhere else in the race.

tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Odd Demare does not fight to get in the break, when there is still a chance to take the jersey back today.

According to the danish commentators, he could take it back in the intermediate sprints after the first climb today.

Thomas Bay even said exactly that. He would still need two points somewhere else in the race.

I stand corrected then, maybe I misheard - usually the intermediate sprint gives 10 points to the winner, and there are 2 today :)

Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I stand corrected then, maybe I misheard - usually the intermediate sprint gives 10 points to the winner, and there are 2 today :)

What do you mean by usually? In this Giro, there have been 12 points on offer in the first intermediate sprint every single stage, and none in the second (only bonus seconds).

In previous editions, the points tally has been higher. In the Tour, there are 15 points on offer. In most other events, there are 6 points on offer.

Are you just making up numbers right now?

Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:

yeah, it's a bit confusing. There are two sprints with 10 points each for the intermediate sprint classification, but only the first one counts for the points jersey (with 12 points available)

tobydawq said:
In previous editions, the points tally has been higher.
I haven't calculated it through (and it's hypothetical anyway, as it changes the way the intermediate sprints are contested) but with the old rules (2x20 points per intermediate sprint on the flat stages) Cima would probably lead the points classification by a massive margin now...

tobydawq said:
"]
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:

What do you mean by usually? In this Giro, there have been 12 points on offer in the first intermediate sprint every single stage, and none in the second (only bonus seconds).

In previous editions, the points tally has been higher. In the Tour, there are 15 points on offer. In most other events, there are 6 points on offer.

Are you just making up numbers right now?[/quote]

- - -

I don't really understand why you choose to to answer in an offensive tone?

According to this very site, if you open the results of each Giro stage, every single intermediate sprint has given 10 points to the sprint winner....... without exception.

Have a look yourself :)

Broccolidwarf said:

According to this very site, if you open the results of each Giro stage, every single intermediate sprint has given 10 points to the sprint winner....... without exception.

Okay, I guess I understand the confusion then. But I never use Cyclingnews for anything else than its forum. They are not able to read rulebooks so you can't trust their interpretations of the allocation of points. The points they have written in their results are the (irrelevant) points that goes to the (irrelevant and jersey-less) intermediate sprint competition.

Also, this very subject was discussed several times at the beginning of the race.

Sorry for the tone.

tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Okay, I guess I understand the confusion then. But I never use Cyclingnews for anything else than its forum. They are not able to read rulebooks so you can't trust their interpretations of the allocation of points. The points they have written in their results are the (irrelevant) points that goes to the (irrelevant and jersey-less) intermediate sprint competition.

Also, this very subject was discussed several times at the beginning of the race.

Sorry for the tone.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS