• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 20: Feltre - Monte Avena 194 km

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Climbing said:
10 secs penalty for Roglic apparently, and that's very lucky as well to be honest.
Obviously not his fault...

True, not his fault, but he did not do anything to push the guy away.
We see riders being pushed all the time, but they usually react in a very annoyed way. Roglic seemed to enjoy the push.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
movingtarget said:
Carols said:
Could Lopez incur some kind of penalty? Idiot fan but one has to think hitting someone twice will be frowned on.

I think Froome got fined once for hitting someone, anything else would be unfair. Roglic will also be fined probably for the fan pushing him.

He surely didn't ask the idiot to push him! Tough break to get a penalty :(
Usually the riders stop it. He didn't even try.

Escarabajo said:
Carols said:
movingtarget said:
Carols said:
Could Lopez incur some kind of penalty? Idiot fan but one has to think hitting someone twice will be frowned on.

I think Froome got fined once for hitting someone, anything else would be unfair. Roglic will also be fined probably for the fan pushing him.

But when you hit the fans you might also get DQed.

Lequack said:
Escarabajo said:
Carols said:
movingtarget said:
Carols said:

Not always.

Lequack said:
Escarabajo said:
Carols said:
movingtarget said:
Carols said:

He didn't have to hit him, but just show he was annoyed, moving his hand away

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site

Lequack said:
Escarabajo said:
Carols said:
movingtarget said:
Carols said:

There's a difference between knocking a fan away when you're riding and hitting a fan in retaliation after you've been knocked off your bike. I wouldn't DQ Lopez, but it's not the same as swinging an arm out in self-defence.

gettyimages_162199418_size_670.jpg

So Roglic has to make up 23 seconds on Landa :( If he isn't entirely done in that should be within his scope. But I think he's pretty close to 'stick a fork in him' territory. I hope he makes it, he rode a brave race, mostly without a team mate on every single climb. Today he was isolated with 110km to go.

I'm impressed by Conci. Didn't enter the breakaway and stayed with Mollema for a decent amount of time, he finished only 15 seconds behind Caruso. It's the first time that he's riding a gt until the end and his first Giro, if you consider the fact that he had a rather poor season before the Giro he did better than expected.

Re:

Carols said:
So Roglic has to make up 23 seconds on Landa :( If he isn't entirely done in that should be within his scope. But I think he's pretty close to 'stick a fork in him' territory. I hope he makes it, he rode a brave race, mostly without a team mate on every single climb. Today he was isolated with 110km to go.
That should be no problem.

Re:

Carols said:

He really peaked too soon it seems, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was him, pulling this off without much of a team is great, even better if he manages to get the podium.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I'm impressed by Conci. Didn't enter the breakaway and stayed with Mollema for a decent amount of time, he finished only 15 seconds behind Caruso. It's the first time that he's riding a gt until the end and his first Giro, if you consider the fact that he had a rather poor season before the Giro he did better than expected.

He should have helped Ciccone on the Manghen instead of it looking like Ciccone was pacing him up

Lequack said:
Carols said:

He really peaked too soon it seems, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was him, pulling this off without much of a team is great, even better if he manages to get the podium.

The "peak-form" seemed to be reached too early yes... But maybe he was thinking about the Tour as the second peak and thought that he would have big enough advantage because of the TTs that he didn't need to be at the absolute peak. Which might be true if the team was there. But without the team, he came up short.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Roglic didn't peak too soon. That's his level of climbing and having no team doesn't help.

Well he was climbing with the Big Boys at le Tour last year, so I think this is below his best climbing level. That or the Giro mountains don't suit him as well as le Tours. IMO it's a combo of being too hot coming in, lack of support and going over the top of his form during the race. Crashing twice didn't help.

Still 2 stage wins and hopefully a podium is a great showing for a 1st time GT leader IMO.