• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 20: Feltre - Monte Avena 194 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
- Hola Richi, you know Landa told me yesterday that he could win this Giro.
- Really?
- Yes, I told him he deserves at least a podium
83540-carapaznibali.jpg

Pink isn't in doubt but the lower steps of the podium are up for grabs. But what a Giro after the boredom of the first 12 stages.

Carapaz will easily hold pink because his closest challengers are simply not strong enough to close the gap. No 2016 miracles for the Shark this time. Landa will behave himself so not to complicate matters for his leader.

I am hoping Roglic stays strong and at least finishes close to Nibali. That will fend off Landa (and Lopez) in GC and he can be proud of hanging on for a likely Podium in Verona. I have been impressed with him suffering to minimise losses on the climbs and then his ride today whilst ineffectual shows he is still quite strong and should not collapse. If he doesn't collapse then Landa (or Lopez) won't grab the last podium step from him.

As for Lopez he is a further 2.5mins adrift so I can't see him finishing ahead of Roglic after tomorrow either unless he attacks 100km from the finish on the Manghen. Only a Roglic collapse would see that and he could count on Bahrain reacting. The last two stages tell me Roglic has stabilised his form after his unfortunate crash. He might be even stronger tomorrow if he is now recovering. He will certainly need to be.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Manghen is 116km from the finish. Only hope is Movistar set a cracking pace to soften the legs of Rogli and Nibali. I'd be surprised if Movistar attack 100km from the finish with a 2 minute lead up their sleeves. That would be risky.
This makes no sense to me?

The only hope imo is if Astana or Mitchelton get really ambitious, but I don't expect much.

So who's going in the break? Nieve & Chaves could spell fun ... everyone apart from Movistar will probably get one man up the road.
Sunny & warm weather forecast which could drain some guys. Carapaz, Nibs & Roglic all need to gain some time before Sunday. Somebody (or two!) will lose a lot of time - if Landa ends up in a podium spot after the stage, I would n't be surprised.
The Manghen climb is a real monster so someone dropped there is going to be in for a long tough day.

Re:

JesusManzano said:
When does the live coverage start? From what I can find the first 2 hours will not be on TV. but that can`t be right..?

Rai Sport have pre-stage TV from 10.00 CET, Eurosport, L'Equipe start 13.00 CET, km 0 is planned for 11.20 CET.

Live ticker /CN's ticker/ Giro Twitter otherwise.

Re:

ice&fire said:
Movistar has had Amador in the break in any serious mountain stage so far, so I wouldn't discard he's sent again on a mission tomorrow
Amador should be getting dropped from any decent climbing break uphill.

He was there after the Mortirolo and then got dropped almost immediately on the way to Ponte di Legno. Still scared Nibali into not attacking :( :( :( :(

Carapaz has a strong team and a comfortable time advantage. Other GT favorites will need to work together if the plan will be to apply the pressure early. If they will wait longer, there are some unknowns involved. That is when it comes to the individual quality. I do see a possibility of Roglič or Nibali to outperform Carapaz tomorrow. Roglič looked strong again today and Nibali will for sure try and likely will make some difference.

NIbali will attack without a doubt - will it be enough? All comes down to Carapaz...

Movistar as a team is far stronger then Bahrain-Merida, So unless Nibs comes up with one of those brilliant moves, the odds seem to be against it - BUT you never know.....

Hope this stage turns out a great one :)

TRENDING THREADS