• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia, Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Mayomaniac said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Gavia in danger, snow and all? Martinelli (Astana DS of Pantani and Nibali fame) said that if Gavia will not be used it will be 2 X Mortirolo. Is this the backup plan or it's Martinelli's imagination?
2x Mortirolo is impossible cause it would be like 270km, so imagine it's either Aprica/Trivigno/Mortirolo like in 2010 or they go Mortirolo from Edolo, have some local loop to not back down on itself and then climb the side they just descended.

Neither option is great. If double Mortirolo from Mazzo was possible I'd be breaking in somewhere to steal snow cannons now.
Wouldn't it be just 11km longer than the original stage:
https://www.openrunner.com/r/9926640
Is the profile in there? because I couldn't open it.
Maybe you can post it. Thanks.

click on the chart icon on the bottom left side of the map

roundabout said:
Escarabajo said:
Mayomaniac said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Gavia in danger, snow and all? Martinelli (Astana DS of Pantani and Nibali fame) said that if Gavia will not be used it will be 2 X Mortirolo. Is this the backup plan or it's Martinelli's imagination?
2x Mortirolo is impossible cause it would be like 270km, so imagine it's either Aprica/Trivigno/Mortirolo like in 2010 or they go Mortirolo from Edolo, have some local loop to not back down on itself and then climb the side they just descended.

Neither option is great. If double Mortirolo from Mazzo was possible I'd be breaking in somewhere to steal snow cannons now.
Wouldn't it be just 11km longer than the original stage:
https://www.openrunner.com/r/9926640
Is the profile in there? because I couldn't open it.
Maybe you can post it. Thanks.

click on the chart icon on the bottom left side of the map
Got it. Thanks.

Rules and regs here. I've not seen the official pdf yet but this site seemed to be spot on previously

https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclis...lassifiche-regola-3-chilometri-tempo-massimo/

Some changes as well. The most significant is the Points comp - as far as I can see, now, only the 1st intermediate sprint counts towards the Points comp (2nd intermediate sprint counts only as bonus secs). Also the intermediate sprint points are no longer dependent on the stage difficulty.

The points in the KOM comp have shifted a little - a few more points are awarded to the winner of each climb than previously (Cat 4s remain unchanged)

Re:

search said:
yeah, they were probably afraid of Frapporti winning the Ciclamino (I actually really think someone like him would have had a realistic chance this year), so they better changed the rules ;)

here you can find the pdf btw: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RIquorKz2WQXBNnOuneO2AV5KxrB8H9H/view

(bonus seconds are actually only awarded at the 2nd sprint btw, so always at the one with no points for the sprint classification)
Thanks for that

Always an issue when you have an uphill prologue as stage one - Rules the sprinters out of contention to grab the pink jersey - Then if you don't have a punchy type stage which attracts a serious breakaway, especially giving wildcard teams to grab the pink, you then have the pink jersey from the prologue holding onto the jersey until at least stage 9 - First week should give opportunities for the pink jersey to be targetted by a variety of teams.

Re:

yaco said:
Always an issue when you have an uphill prologue as stage one - Rules the sprinters out of contention to grab the pink jersey - Then if you don't have a punchy type stage which attracts a serious breakaway, especially giving wildcard teams to grab the pink, you then have the pink jersey from the prologue holding onto the jersey until at least stage 9 - First week should give opportunities for the pink jersey to be targetted by a variety of teams.
Seems like you forgot about today and tomorrow.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

There is a difference between a strong breakaway and a team willingly giving up the pink jersey - Front half of the Giro is poorly designed - Now the racing may have more verve because UAE may have trouble controlling the peleton.

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

There is a difference between a strong breakaway and a team willingly giving up the pink jersey - Front half of the Giro is poorly designed - Now the racing may have more verve because UAE may have trouble controlling the peleton.
I agree about the first part being poorly designed

https://video.repubblica.it/sport/giro-d-italia-passo-gavia-sommerso-dalla-neve-fra-sei-giorni-c-e-la-tappa-ma-ora-sul-percorso-si-scia/335163/335764?ref=RHPPRT-BS-I0-C4-P1-S2.4-T1

Right now Passo Gavia is a better ski run than road, but local officials still say they should have it ready by tuesday unless it snows again. It's not supposed to snow again, so I trust them. That's the 60% that Vegni was talking about. However, as the may of Ponte di Legno said, if it snows on the day or the day before then there's not much they can do, and that's the 40%.

Re:

Brullnux said:
https://video.repubblica.it/sport/giro-d-italia-passo-gavia-sommerso-dalla-neve-fra-sei-giorni-c-e-la-tappa-ma-ora-sul-percorso-si-scia/335163/335764?ref=RHPPRT-BS-I0-C4-P1-S2.4-T1

Right now Passo Gavia is a better ski run than road, but local officials still say they should have it ready by tuesday unless it snows again. It's not supposed to snow again, so I trust them. That's the 60% that Vegni was talking about. However, as the may of Ponte di Legno said, if it snows on the day or the day before then there's not much they can do, and that's the 40%.
Roglič! A hill record with a telemark landing, unbelievable! :D
I really hope it'll be ready by Tuesday and the weather allows the stage to be ridden as it is. It would be epic.

The big problem with Gavia isn't the snow on the road, that could be cleared, but the risk of landslides (well, snowslides if exist that word) because the fresh snow is very unstable since with may's sun when stop snowing and the sky clears the temperature sharply goes in the positive side and the snow doesn't have time to compact on the ground having melting water running all over.
They could clear all the road but if the snow slides from the flank of the mountain they've done the work for nothing, not to mention the risk of that happening during the race, one fan standind on a snow wall like we've seen a lot of times on such high altitude climbs could be enough to make it collapse.

And other than that they didn't even resurfaced the road in the descent that was reported to be in bad state already last year before being covered by snow for months.

I think a lot of this high mountain roads were created during the WWI for milatary use then have been later rediscovered and converted to touristic use, for example on the Stelvio there are thousand of people per day when is open and souvenirs shops on the top. I've even recently read that the road to Nivolet on route to which there is the finish tomorrow is with limited acces because there were too much cars and motos going up.

Re:

Nirvana said:
I think a lot of this high mountain roads were created during the WWI for milatary use then have been later rediscovered and converted to touristic use, for example on the Stelvio there are thousand of people per day when is open and souvenirs shops on the top. I've even recently read that the road to Nivolet on route to which there is the finish tomorrow is with limited acces because there were too much cars and motos going up.
Partially true. In case of the Stelvio though, it was built in the early 1800s by the Austrian empire as a very important connection between Südtyrol and Valtellina (and thus Lombardy).
Gavia instead was still sterrato even in the late '80s, it was never meant to be a high traffic pass in the first place.

Eshnar said:
Nirvana said:
Partially true. In case of the Stelvio though, it was built in the early 1800s by the Austrian empire as a very important connection between Südtyrol and Valtellina (and thus Lombardy).
Gavia instead was still sterrato even in the late '80s, it was never meant to be a high traffic pass in the first place.
This, very few of the more well known alpine roads in the high mountains were actually built in WWI, by that time the military on both sides started using funiculars to support their troops on the mountains, for example the Austro-Hungarian Army on the Monte Piano. The road used by the Italians on the Monte Piano was actually built before the war for strategic reasons.