• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 10: Saint-Flour > Albi 217,5 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Elia Viviani's face when he's sees ANOTHER black-and-yellow guy beating him....
D_ib8bGW4AAHESF

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Trouble is the second half looks non too promising.

I do not understand this at all!

I think we are yet to see the 5 toughest mountain stages in the race, including a brutal trio in the last week, where those that have had a shaky preparation for the Tour, may very well run out of gas.

There are still many questions to be answered:

Will Thomas' less than stellar preparation cost too much in week 3?

Can a 22 year old avoid an off day in a grand tour?

Will the anonymous trio (so far) of Yates, Kruijswijk and Buchmann be able to challenge for the win?

Will Quintana cheat them all and prove why he used to be the most hyped GT contender?

Will Dan Martin be a real contender, the first time he has a proper GC team working for him?

Will Porte, Bardet, Pinot, Fuglsang and Uran light up the pyrenees with aggressive riding, in an attempt to get back in contention?

Will Alaphilippe surprise us all in the GC, and what will that do for Mas' chances in the GC?

Plenty to look forward to IMO :)

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
First half of this tour has been great (by Tour standards.) Trouble is the second half looks non too promising. I'm not overly optimistic but I see potential for a GC battle. Poels looks weak, how many Ineos riders will be with Bernal and Thomas in the high mountains? With so many talented riders within striking distance I see coalitions being formed and ambitious long-range attacks.

Poels is far from weak. They did the same last year, he basically takes the first week off and rests to then be last man standing for Thomas and Bernal.

We've already seen from Landa's attack on Stage 6, its next to useless as Ineos ride tempo till they catch. The same with Bennett, Porte and Bardet yesterday.

The only way to beat Ineos is when they crash, there is not really any other way I can see them losing.

Re: Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
ppanther92 said:
Laplaz said:
Salvarani said:
Rollthedice said:
Quintana in a good position to snatch a podium in Paris.

He looks like the only hope to beat Ineos atm. Even though he will be over 2 minutes, at least, behind after the ITT.
Manny Buchmann disagrees.
Why should Buchmann suddenly be a contender for the win in the TdF, when he never finished a GT inside the top10 before, despite being the leader (even the Vuelta last year, which was his all-season goal)?

Neither has Bernal :)
Of course Buchmann hasn't had GC wins in Suisse, Paris-Nice, California, and Colombia in the last 2 seasons while not yet having the opportunity to lead at a GT.

Fuglsangs daily column in danish newspaper BT got publised.

Apparently the reason Cort did all that work up front, was a deal Cort made with Moerkoev, that if he did work in the DQ train, Fuglsang could sit on the end of it and be shielded from wind (Moerkoev is the road captain).

That however created some dissatisfaction from other riders, incl. Wellens, who started to push him over the spot - so they dropped it halfway through.

He further says their scouting party driving ahead of the peloton, had reported no danger for the rest of the stage, on wide easy roads.

He accepts responsibility for the poor positioning and the end result, and writes that from now on, he will be a tougher boss during the race, to force the team to be better at positioning.

That seems like a rather late realisation........ especially since Astana have been critiqued about this after every stage so far.

Last in the column he writes, that it is now clear he needs to start winning back time (no more defensive riding?).

Will Thomas' less than stellar preparation cost too much in week 3?
No signs of that.

Will the anonymous trio (so far) of Yates, Kruijswijk and Buchmann be able to challenge for the win?
No signs of that.

Will Quintana cheat them all and prove why he used to be the most hyped GT contender?
No signs of that.

Will Dan Martin be a real contender, the first time he has a proper GC team working for him?
No signs of that.

Will Porte, Bardet, Pinot, Fuglsang and Uran light up the pyrenees with aggressive riding, in an attempt to get back in contention?
No signs of that.

Will Alaphilippe surprise us all in the GC, and what will that do for Mas' chances in the GC?
Nothing that seems to threaten Ineos. They can even afford a crash or two.

Plenty to look forward to IMO :)
Ineos were favourites before today, now even more so, and considering the Tour's well-known potential of being boring and predictable, I'm not an optimist.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
A really really bad day for the GC of this race.

Fuglsang, Pinot, Porte, Uran and Landa had all looked solid in GC with the ability to challenge INEOS before this day.

Now, the only riders within a short time distance to challenge INEOS are riders who cannot win the race...

Kudos to INEOS, they know how to ride like a team.
Yeah, because the 5 riders that lost time were proven riders to win the race!!

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:

(...)

He accepts responsibility for the poor positioning and the end result, and writes that from now on, he will be a tougher boss during the race, to force the team to be better at positioning.

Thanks for posting this.

I'm afraid this could lead to more wrong decisions from Astana. They'll desperately push their riders forward early, thus having no-one left in the final to help Fuglsang. That's what could happen if the team overreacts. I've already seen signs of this, with the team sitting at the front without any clear objective.

The whole thing with Cort today was so unprofessional.

Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:

(...)

Thanks for posting this.

I'm afraid this could lead to more wrong decisions from Astana. They'll desperately push their riders forward early, thus having no-one left in the final to help Fuglsang. That's what could happen if the team overreacts. I've already seen signs of this, with the team sitting at the front without any clear objective.

The whole thing with Cort today was so unprofessional.

Astana have been sitting forward and together, for the first 3/4 of every stage, except stage 1.

It's in the finale of every stage they vanish, every time, except for Lutsenko who is riding a stellar tour.

As for "the Cort thing" being "unprofessional", I don't really see why? - Alliances are formed all the time in the peloton, and as the team was clearly unable to ride coherently today, I think Cort made a smart choice, to make a deal with DQ in the moment.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Who is the Astana road captain ?

If you have a very strong road captain need the leader can relax and leave them to it

Luke Rowe is a point in question...he guides Thomas and the team and whips them into shape

A good road captain is worth his weight in gold

Without knowing, I assume its Sanchez.

Problem is, that Sanchez is riding with a bad back, and not able to hack it.

But either way, Fuglsang is way too experienced a rider, to not assume that responsibility himself, if nobody else does.

He's the captain, he has to lead.

Re:

rick james said:
Ineos deserve more credit for giving us the sort of racing everybody craves....monster performance from the team
Usually I am used to full disagreement with 99% of what you say, but fully agree here. It's been a fabulous first week, and Skineos helped turn a boring stage into an exciting one.

Broccolidwarf said:
HelloDolly said:
Who is the Astana road captain ?

If you have a very strong road captain need the leader can relax and leave them to it

Luke Rowe is a point in question...he guides Thomas and the team and whips them into shape

A good road captain is worth his weight in gold

Without knowing, I assume its Sanchez.

Problem is, that Sanchez is riding with a bad back, and not able to hack it.

But either way, Fuglsang is way too experienced a rider, to not assume that responsibility himself, if nobody else does.

He's the captain, he has to lead.

Its not that simple

If you are a GC contender you need to be able to rely on the team to make sure the other riders are doing their jobs ...you cannot do everything

Mostly you need to be guided to the right place, kept safe and out of the wind
You need to rely on other to do this

Good team have good road captains
Great teams have great road captains

TRENDING THREADS