• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 11: Albi > Toulouse 167km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
del1962 said:
Any chance of cross winds today?
After the intermediate sprint the direction brings x-winds into play for 30 km. The wind forecast doesn't seem quite as strong as it did on monday. But the biggest problem is that the last 40 km of the stage turn into a headwind so there may not be so much point in teams attacking

I agree with the conclusion that nothing will happen today, but I have an issue with the bolded part.

Imagine that splits occur like on Monday in the crosswind. Then it wouldn't exactly be easier for the people who have been spat out of the peloton to come back if there is a bout of headwind later.

For those not watching danish TV, Cort said in the pre-stage interview, that Astana had used the rest day, to define who was supposed to do what on the team, to help the captain during the tour.

The journalist then (logically) asked: "Should you not have done that before the tour started?"

Cort: "Yes"

Journalist: "Why have you not done it before?"

Cort: "Good question"

I'm truly shocked how unprofessional the Astana leadership is :rolleyes:

tobydawq said:
Eyeballs Out said:
del1962 said:
Any chance of cross winds today?
After the intermediate sprint the direction brings x-winds into play for 30 km. The wind forecast doesn't seem quite as strong as it did on monday. But the biggest problem is that the last 40 km of the stage turn into a headwind so there may not be so much point in teams attacking

I agree with the conclusion that nothing will happen today, but I have an issue with the bolded part.

Imagine that splits occur like on Monday in the crosswind. Then it wouldn't exactly be easier for the people who have been spat out of the peloton to come back if there is a bout of headwind later.
Usually what happens is nobody really fancies riding into a headwind for an hour when they can just spend half the energy sat off the front - so co-operation tends to break down. But let's see

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
For those not watching danish TV, Cort said in the pre-stage interview, that Astana had used the rest day, to define who was supposed to do what on the team, to help the captain during the tour.

The journalist then (logically) asked: "Should you not have done that before the tour started?"

Unprofessional as a team, but I'd say it's also up to Fuglsang to put this on the table before the Tour's start if the sports directors don't take action.

Broccolidwarf said:
Bolder said:
It's definitely windy but I can't see anyone burning candles today with the Pyrenees stages coming up. But I've been pretty wrong about when the action would occur so far...

You say it is "definitely windy", but in the live pictures, we barely see leaves move on the trees........ I think you are wrong :cool:
You're not watching through the same window.

Jagartrott said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Unprofessional as a team, but I'd say it's also up to Fuglsang to put this on the table before the Tour's start if the sports directors don't take action.

Maybe...but if the DS's aren't giving direction and taking action, then what are they doing??

Re:

search said:
Nikias Arndt will be the last leadout man for Bol btw. That's what the team said at least (Kragh - Matthews - Arndt - Bol is the order they want to go for)

It will be interesting to see how Bol does. He has probably been the most successful “minor” or “up and coming” sprinter recently, so he deserves a shot against the big boys. It’s not as if Matthews has a chance in a real bunch sprint.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
sir fly said:
sir fly said:
The breakaway has wrapped it up.
The gap expanded for 50 % in the last 10 kilometres, and it's after half of the stage.
The peloton's cooked!
Hmmm... ok.
Doesn't sound logical?
Hehehe, let's just say i doubt the break will make it :D
Look!
Peloton's taking the food.
Told you they're spent.

Zinoviev Letter said:
search said:
Nikias Arndt will be the last leadout man for Bol btw. That's what the team said at least (Kragh - Matthews - Arndt - Bol is the order they want to go for)

It will be interesting to see how Bol does. He has probably been the most successful “minor” or “up and coming” sprinter recently, so he deserves a shot against the big boys. It’s not as if Matthews has a chance in a real bunch sprint.
definitely. Bahrain may also go for Cortina instead of Colbrelli by the way (to whom applies the same, basically)

sir fly said:
sir fly said:
sir fly said:
The breakaway has wrapped it up.
The gap expanded for 50 % in the last 10 kilometres, and it's after half of the stage.
The peloton's cooked!
Hmmm... ok.
Doesn't sound logical?
Hehehe, let's just say i doubt the break will make it :D
Look!
Peloton's taking the food.
Told you they're spent.
The stage is too long obviously :)

brownbobby said:
Jagartrott said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Maybe...but if the DS's aren't giving direction and taking action, then what are they doing??

Another titbit from Astana (heard on the radio today):

Apparently all their radio communication is in italian, despite not a single italian DS or rider being at the race :D

TRENDING THREADS