• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 3: Binche - Epernay, 215km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Meanwhile, while we are waiting for the last 50 k of the day to make it interesting, here are the highest 10 average watts on yesterdays TTT:

Luke Durbridge
423 W
Michael Valgren
394 W
Mads Würtz Schmidt
394 W
Jack Haig
390 W
Rein Taaramäe
385 W
Nicolas Roche
384 W
André Greipel
379 W
Reinardt Janse van Rensburg
374 W
Amael Moinard
374 W
Hugo Houle
372 W

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Meanwhile, while we are waiting for the last 50 k of the day to make it interesting, here are the highest 10 average watts on yesterdays TTT:

Luke Durbridge
423 W
Michael Valgren
394 W
Mads Würtz Schmidt
394 W
Jack Haig
390 W
Rein Taaramäe
385 W
Nicolas Roche
384 W
André Greipel
379 W
Reinardt Janse van Rensburg
374 W
Amael Moinard
374 W
Hugo Houle
372 W

Interesting. I don't know how wattage correlates exactly to speed, in the sense that if you don't have a great aero position, you could be producing higher wattage than someone with a better position but still moving at the same speed. Is that the case?

Looking at today's stage, it looks like a lightweight puncheur should win. That last stretch looks pretty hard.

Jun 24, 2019
Visit site
I can’t see any kind of sprinter being anywhere near the top ten. Strong men only need apply today.
1. Alaphilippe
2. Lutsenko
3. Van Aert
This is going to be a compelling stage

Ha! Bradley Wiggins. There's a fine line between the freshness of an outspoken analyst and a dip in professionalism.

0c0205ba-f878-11e7-93ab-c9c84d55f227_web_scale_0.0628592_0.0628592__.jpg

:lol:

Re: Re:

Bolder said:
Interesting. I don't know how wattage correlates exactly to speed, in the sense that if you don't have a great aero position, you could be producing higher wattage than someone with a better position but still moving at the same speed. Is that the case?
Obviously, or even higer wattages and be slower. I think Campenaerts produced close to 80 watts on average less than Wiggins, while riding half a km per hour faster when he broke the hour record.

Van Aert pushed the biggest wattages 2 years ago in the Belgian NC ITT. He only finished 6th (then).

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Bolder said:
Obviously, or even higer wattages and be slower. I think Campenaerts produced close to 80 watts on average less than Wiggins, while riding half a km per hour faster when he broke the hour record.

Van Aert pushed the biggest wattages 2 years ago in the Belgian NC ITT. He only finished 6th (then).
Regarding Campenaerts, that obviously also results from riding at altitude vs riding at sea level in Wiggins' case.

According to Vandegoor (Radio Sporza), FDJ has been working with Bert Blocken from the universities of Leuven & Eindhoven, the same professor that calculated the benefit of riding behind a motorcycle, up to 50 meters, in air resistance. As a possible explanation for their surprisingly decent TTT yesterday.

TRENDING THREADS