• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de Romandie 30 April - 5 May

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

johnymax said:
The Barb said:
movingtarget said:
Roglic for the overall.

One would think so but the team has said they are riding for Kruijswijk. Roglic apparently is just there to support and get preparation for the Giro.

It's especially interesting since Roglic is such a dominating favourite.
In this field (depends on G's form, I don't think it's there) and on this parcours Roglič should be an overwhelming favourite normally. But with Jumbo making Kruijswijk team leader things change. Rogla is looking ahead to the bigger goal, the Giro. This is a big opportunity for Steven to get a big win and finally take a WT stage race. But I still think there's a big chance Roglic accidentally wins this with the prologue and ITT. He needs to go full gas in those to test himself ahead of the Giro.

I think you are right especially with SK's up and down TT form. Spilak used to be very good at the week long stage races. Not sure what's happening with him.

Re:

LosBrolin said:
Why would Sam Bennett suddenly win prologue over Ganna and the likes? I mean some Tom Bohli can probably target like three stages in a season and this is one of them. I'm surprised if Sam B even podiums today.

Shorter than four kilometres, lots of twists and turns, even a small hill. Acceleration, speed and technical abilities will probably be more important than four kilometre track skills.

Van der Poel would win this prologue with ten seconds if he participated.

tobydawq said:
LosBrolin said:
Why would Sam Bennett suddenly win prologue over Ganna and the likes? I mean some Tom Bohli can probably target like three stages in a season and this is one of them. I'm surprised if Sam B even podiums today.

Shorter than four kilometres, lots of twists and turns, even a small hill. Acceleration, speed and technical abilities will probably be more important than four kilometre track skills.

Yeah, and Sam Bennett has shown lot of those abilities in the past prologues he has done? Last year it was 400m longer and apart from Bling there wasn't many sprinters in the top 30.

LosBrolin said:
tobydawq said:
LosBrolin said:

Yeah, and Sam Bennett has shown lot of those abilities in the past prologues he has done? Last year it was 400m longer and apart from Bling there wasn't many sprinters in the top 30.

And what past prologues might that be? He hasn't done a prologue in three years. Since the 4 kilometre mountain prologue of Dauphiné.

It's not exactly often we see a time trial like the one today. Last year's was a lot more hilly if I recall correctly.

He has never done well in a time trial, I'll give you that.

tobydawq said:
LosBrolin said:
tobydawq said:
LosBrolin said:

And what past prologues might that be? He hasn't done a prologue in three years. Since the 4 kilometre mountain prologue of Dauphiné.

It's not exactly often we see a time trial like the one today. Last year's was a lot more hilly if I recall correctly.

He has never done well in a time trial, I'll give you that.

I failed with my sarcasm then. I meant what you just said, that he has barely done any prologues.

He's in hot from tho, I'll give you that. But yeah, wouldn't be the first time when I'm completely wrong with my predictions so guess we'll see :cool:

johnymax said:
The Barb said:
movingtarget said:
Roglic for the overall.

One would think so but the team has said they are riding for Kruijswijk. Roglic apparently is just there to support and get preparation for the Giro.

It's especially interesting since Roglic is such a dominating favourite.
In this field (depends on G's form, I don't think it's there) and on this parcours Roglič should be an overwhelming favourite normally. But with Jumbo making Kruijswijk team leader things change. Rogla is looking ahead to the bigger goal, the Giro. This is a big opportunity for Steven to get a big win and finally take a WT stage race. But I still think there's a big chance Roglic accidentally wins this with the prologue and ITT. He needs to go full gas in those to test himself ahead of the Giro.

I ll just say one thing; Roglic is really really unhappy if he is not winning :)

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Campenaerts to ride the entire 3.85 km on his largest gear and win.

Seriously, i have no idea. I think a sprinter could take it, but not necessarilly.
Although he has basically no results to prove it, with the track background usually also Viviani should have a good shot. Last year in the Romandie prologue he was 2nd at the split but faded (well, exploded) on the climb to the finish, so that may be an indication of what's to come today on the flatter parcours.

Laplaz said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Campenaerts to ride the entire 3.85 km on his largest gear and win.

Seriously, i have no idea. I think a sprinter could take it, but not necessarilly.
He has already finished. Dead last btw :D
How is that funny?

Anyway, it wasn't a bad crash, more like he slipped in a corner and hit the deck. But you could tell immediately he wasn't going to try and make the best of it. In such a short ITT, the smallest mistake is game over.