• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de Suisse

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know how much this tells us about Bernal. The competition here is so weak that it is hard to know what this ride means. He was only 12 seconds ahead of Hirt and 14 seconds ahead of Pozzovivo, neither of whom was great in the Giro.

The big lesson from today is that Mas doesn't look ready for the Tour.

Gigs_98 said:
Not sure what to make of this. Bernal looked incredible when they first showed him after his attack but he then basicall stopped gaining. 12 seconds on hirt and 25 in pozzovivo is good but nothing that makes me say he will easily win the tour.
Even Bidard who had been in the break all day stopped losing time to him.

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Not sure what to make of this. Bernal looked incredible when they first showed him after his attack but he then basicall stopped gaining. 12 seconds on hirt and 25 in pozzovivo is good but nothing that makes me say he will easily win the tour.
Even Bevin who had been in the break all day stopped losing time to him.

Suffice to say it was something short of a Contador-level attack. :)

Re: Re:

hfer07 said:
Red Rick said:
Bernal seems to really like his 2km attacks

should have won the stage had he gone a bit earlier...... but still - it was impressive!!

This is what I don't understand with INEOS. They have just 3 World Tour wins and the biggest candidate for this stage and still they stopped working in the beginning of the climb which enabled Tolhoek's win. In the next days they will probably just control the other GC contenders.

Stage
Clipboard.jpg

GC
GC.jpg

Re:

shalgo said:
I don't know how much this tells us about Bernal. The competition here is so weak that it is hard to know what this ride means. He was only 12 seconds ahead of Hirt and 14 seconds ahead of Pozzovivo, neither of whom was great in the Giro.

This. Pretty disappointing from him. I just hope he is doing a slow preperation but overall this surely wasn't a good sign for the tour

Tolhoek was clearly the best of the break, and he held off the upcoming favorites very well. Didn't really weaken, kept his pace up. Deserved winner.

I honestly expected a bit more from Bernal. His attack was good, but not earthshattering either. Mas has some work to do it seems.

SafeBet said:
Going by the results, a few interesting performances:

Benoot 8th at 44"
Not really surprising for me. He CAN do this, he just usually choses not to go for GC. He was 20th in TDF GC 2 years ago and 12th in Dauphiné GC. He has more potential as a climber than he's been given credit for on this forum.

Re:

shalgo said:

They weren't great in the Giro, but they should have the advantage of doing it

Gigs_98 said:

He also didn't gain time on Bidard in the final K or so. Still, he was very fast for the first K or so of his attack.

Re:

shalgo said:

True :( :(

Re:

shalgo said:

On the other hand, Giro riders seem to do better still than the riders aiming for the Tour (see also La Route d'Occitanie). So the fair comparison is Bernal against:

Benoot +0:27
Konrad +0:29
Soler
Dennis
Mas +0:51
Aru +0:53

Which pretty damn good on 1.6km but also against not quite top competition.