• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 National Championships

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglic the new Slovenian champion, oversprinting Pogacar to the line.

EbC-J6MWoAEr8JF

EbC-8iRXQAARdlM

Last edited:
Does anyone think that Roglic and Pogacar will gain any significant advantage over their other TDF podium contender rivals from the two nationals events or will the 4 week gap before the first UCI races erode the benefits of today’s tester.
I guess, they might benefit somewhat in the sense that they now have a confirmation of their shape and could finetune their training schedule based on it. But if it matters all that much, i doubt it. Or not anymore at least. Everybody has heartrate monitors, power meters, nutricionists, multiple trainers, scientific training and testing facilities etc. I think it's become basically impossible to be completely off course in that regard, without red flags popping up all over the place.
As for this race giving them "an extra race day" advantage in 2 months, over a 3 week period, i also doubt that would make any noticeable impact.
Maybe mentally, some piece of mind.

Has he said something yet?

EDIT: i just read that Roglic said he had checked out the climb and knew it well, and knew where to attack... i would assume he won due to an attack, and not due to Pogacar crashing?
Pogačar crashed in the initial part of the race and he said it didn't affect him in the finale. Roglič was simply stronger.

Also every rider in the race knew the climb very well. It's one of the most famous training climbs in this part of Slovenia.