• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Tour de France route rumors

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We are quite sure about Lusette and Col de Lose. So the other two can be Mont Noir (in a stage to Vercors), Plan-Bois (La Roche-sur-Foron), Moissiere (Orcieres-Merlette), Grand Naves (Lose),....
Yeah, Lose and Lusette have been pretty much confirmed and the Pyrenees will likely have a grand total of exactly zero new climbs.

The La Roche-sur-Foron stage could be all kinds of epic if they hit Glières from the east, BTW. Got to hand it to Gouvenou if he manages to pull that off...

According to Thomas Vergouwen's (unnamed) sources, the Grand Colombier MTF is now on the Sunday before the second rest day

13 Puy Mary MTF
14 Lyon
15. Grand Colombier MTF

rest day in Grenoble

16 -
17 Meribel Col de la Loze MTF
18 La Roche-sur-Foron (downhill finish)
19 Champagnole
20 Planche des Belles Filles ITT
21 Paris

Still no credible rumor for stage 16, apparently. Could be Alpe d' Huez, or Grenoble - Grenoble I suppose.

I can't wait. It will definitely be a Pinot-friendly route. The Jura stage before PDBF, if well crafted, can be very interesting. But there's not much around Champagnole to get a tough finish. Maybe an incursion into Switzerland, finish in Pontarlier, Porrentruy, or Besancon?

According to Thomas Vergouwen's (unnamed) sources, the Grand Colombier MTF is now on the Sunday before the second rest day

13 Puy Mary MTF
14 Lyon
15. Grand Colombier MTF

rest day in Grenoble

16 -
19 Champagnole
21 Paris

Still no credible rumor for stage 16, apparently. Could be Alpe d' Huez, or Grenoble - Grenoble I suppose.
Grenoble - Grenoble ITT on stage 16 would save this route. PDBF MTT as the only time trial would be outrageous. Normally, I would have been very excited about Puy Mary, Lusette, Grand Colombier, Col de la Loze but somehow I don't feel any excitement about this route...

Grenoble - Grenoble ITT on stage 16 would save this route. PDBF MTT as the only time trial would be outrageous. Normally, I would have been very excited about Puy Mary, Lusette, Grand Colombier, Col de la Loze but somehow I don't feel any excitement about this route...
I do, but I don't really mind Gouvenou's anti-TT stance too much, even if it's only because of Pinot (and previously Bardet).

The PdBF ITT could actually turn things around. It's also far less predictable than a regular ITT, or regular MTT, IMO. Provided there's enough flat/rolling kms in front.

Looks like Menté is back in, BTW, according to the latest info. Seems rather pointless that one, with Balès and Peyresourde as the key climbs. Pure breakaway stage most likely. But too hard, for what it is. A gimmicky stage with just one serious climb, Balès, followed by a descent finish would have been so much better. But maybe they'll save that template for the day after, as Tourmalet's inclusion is by no means a certainty. In fact, it's most likely out.

I think Loze will be the only 2000m+ climb.

13 Puy Mary MTF
14 Lyon
15. Grand Colombier MTF

rest day in Grenoble

16 -
19 Champagnole
21 Paris

Looks kind of good, especially MTFs at Grand Colombier and Loze. Hopefullt we'll see Madeleine before Loze. And I really hope they choose to use the tougher route alternative on the Roche-sur-Foron and Loudenvielle stages. And not just something like Ares-Porte d'Aspet, Bales, Peyresourde and Saises-Aravis-Glieres.......

On stage 16 I would rather prefer a decent hilly/medium mountain stage before a tough mountain stage making it less likely with aggressive cycling on the following stages.

Not sure if this map is serious, but...

via Tilo @ LeGruppetto

No Tourmalet or Aubisque. Looks like Pau - Laruns via Marie-Blanque only.

And Lure- Planche des Belles Filles as the only ITT

July 14 stage (post second rest day) pretty much confirmed as La Tour-du-Pin - Villard-de-Lans, BTW:

Last edited:
Looks kind of good, especially MTFs at Grand Colombier and Loze. Hopefullt we'll see Madeleine before Loze. And I really hope they choose to use the tougher route alternative on the Roche-sur-Foron and Loudenvielle stages. And not just something like Ares-Porte d'Aspet, Bales, Peyresourde and Saises-Aravis-Glieres.......
Col des Ares has apparently been replaced by Menté, according to the latest info. Not sure if that makes it a good stage design, though. Balès and Portet d'Aspet should still be in.

I (still) don't like it. The last few kms of Peyresourde + the descent could see quality racing, of course, but yeah.

article and map:

Pau - Laruns via Soulor and Aubisque, apparently. (No Tourmalet)

I hope it's Soulor north. Far better climb than the east side.

article and map:

Pau - Laruns via Soulor and Aubisque, apparently. (No Tourmalet)

I hope it's Soulor north. Far better climb than the east side.
Well going over Col de Borderes first like last year was even worse.

Col des Ares has apparently been replaced by Menté, according to the latest info. Not sure if that makes it a good stage design, though. Balès and Portet d'Aspet should still be in.

I (still) don't like it. The last few kms of Peyresourde + the descent could see quality racing, of course, but yeah.
At least it's a tougher stage. I very much prefer at proper queen stage in the Pyrenees and in the Alps. And since we can't seem to escape a stage close to Luchon/Peyresourde, it's better if it's as hard as possible. I would actually also like if they added Col de la Core before Aspet.

And on the Glieres stage it would be good if they used Roselend-Bisanne-Aravis before Glieres, alternatively Roseland-Tamie-Epine-Croix de Fry. Glieres is probably the best chance for an long range attack given the current route rumours, and then I would very much prefer a really tough stage before that climb.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)

TRENDING THREADS