• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Tour de France route rumors

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay so I casually google that climb, I wasn't ready for this

D4nT4jQXkAAWfba.png

This can't be right?

Now that's what I call The Full Monte.

If they use the 4km profile I believe Joaquim Rodriguez will sleepwalk out of retirement. He'll wake up the winner of that stage and have no idea what happened.

Thought of him too, when I saw your profile. He would've loved that.

At what point does it become impossible to stay on your bike?

Isn't guardiagrele and Machucos like +30% at some sections?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Okay same twitter thread had a 6km @ 13% profile from the other side, which seems a feasable level of crazy
Theoretically should be that one but with Cainero everything could be unless Vegni rejects.

I think that if that would have been in Friuli he would have tried to put in a MTF there (note that apperently it's paved but with some cobbled parts midway).
file.php

Theoretically should be that one but with Cainero everything could be unless Vegni rejects.

I think that if that would have been in Friuli he would have tried to put in a MTF there (note that apperently it's paved but with some cobbled parts midway).
file.php
That is the kind of *** *** that needs to be a one day MTT or some ***. The craziest mountains will only disbalance GTs, so I'd rather see them in one day races, which I think is a big missed opportunity on the calendar.

That is the kind of brilliant * that needs to be a one day MTT or some *. The craziest mountains will only disbalance GTs, so I'd rather see them in one day races, which I think is a big missed opportunity on the calendar.
IMHO for an one day race would be better something short like Guardigrele, if you want in that area of Abruzzo you can put 30 double digts walls in a 250 kms race with almost no flat between them.

If I recall correctly, ASO seriously considered using Finestre at one point. I don't know if Portet was as raceable as Finestre, PdBF and Glières. Judging from the pictures I saw back then, probably not.

You're right though that they could uses longer stretches of sterrato if they wanted to. They chickened out a couple years ago, as well, when the Tro-Bro Léon roads were ditched at the last minute...

I recall a rumored stage in 2007 that would have been Iseran, Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestrieres

Instead, ASO went with Galiber and a finish in Briancon

How does what you wrote that compare to a tour with a traditional amount of TTing?

Everybody keeps talking about balance, yet refuses to acknowledge that the time you can gain in the mountains is infinitely less than decades ago (especially when the Ineos train is not derailed as was the case this year), while the very long ITTs would still generate similar gaps.

125 km ITTs and a very long TTT (are you kidding me?) would just ruin the race.

Reactions: Inga Arvad and yaco
Everybody keeps talking about balance, yet refuses to acknowledge that the time you can gain in the mountains is infinitely less than decades ago (especially when the Ineos train is not derailed as was the case this year), while the very long ITTs would still generate similar gaps.

125 km ITTs and a very long TTT (are you kidding me?) would just ruin the race.

2007 had nearly that much total ITT, yet it was a climbers tour. Mountain stages were simply stacked with many climbs such that the scales tipped in favor of the climbers. Differences were made as the climbers were actually forced to attack from distance if they wanted a chance

2007 had nearly that much total ITT, yet it was a climbers tour. Mountain stages were simply stacked with many climbs such that the scales tipped in favor of the climbers. Differences were made as the climbers were actually forced to attack from distance if they wanted a chance

Yes, but I didn't see Castroviejo, Kwiatkowski, Poels, Bernal and Thomas ride in formation in front of Cadel Evans that year.

That said, Rasmussen's exploits were magnificent.

Yes, but I didn't see Castroviejo, Kwiatkowski, Poels, Bernal and Thomas ride in formation in front of Cadel Evans that year.

That said, Rasmussen's exploits were magnificent.

It also led to things like Contador having to use up Popo at the base of Tignes, which left him exposed when he flatted near the top. We had several days of extended racing, instead of the final 3 km we too often see these days.

Put Bernal 5 minutes behind heading into a multi climb high altitude stage like the midi one I proposed. He won't be able to wait for the end to make his move. He'd probably be able to get away from Froome by following the other pure climbers, who also would be going early

That'd be above 5000m. Bernal wins easily.
Logically speaking, if it's flat, it actually favors heavier riders even more than low flatlands cause power outputs are lower and much larger part of it goes to rolling resistance which should be rougly equal for all riders ergo it becomes a more W game rather than a W/surface area

Logically speaking, if it's flat, it actually favors heavier riders even more than low flatlands cause power outputs are lower and much larger part of it goes to rolling resistance which should be rougly equal for all riders ergo it becomes a more W game rather than a W/surface area
Look at what happened to the Argentina football squad in a World Cup qualifier game played at 3600m above sea level. That's 1700m below the altitude of Everest basecamp.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbG-8L_TcmA

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS