• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Vuelta rumors

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Ancares rumour is around every year. Two years a go it was a fake rumour spread by a forum troll. Last year it was allegedly dropped because it didn't fit in the route with the two mountain stages in Asturias. So I won't believe it until I see it in the news.

We already know the finish in Lekunberri after S.Miguel de Aralar. That's the climb where Aru took his first Vuelta stage win in 2014 ahead of the three amigos and Froome, who did a superb (IIRC his first) yo-yo show.
And there's also the rumour that Unipublic has taken positive notes of how well the last two mountain stages this year did work.

I'm the forum troll that said that and it wasn't a fake, it was a mistake.

Reactions: Sandisfan
While everyone is watching the Giro presentation...

After the opening Dutch stages the Vuelta will resume with two days in the Basque Country. I see contradicting reports. Two Basque local news sites report that stage 4 will be between Irún and Arrate (probably similar finish to the Itzulia stage of this year) and stage 5 between Vitoria and Valdegovía.
No source mentions it but Valdegovía is 18km from the summit of Orduña (8km @ 7.5%), one of the classic Vuelta climbs from the '50s-'70s era when the race was organised by a Basque newspaper.
Then, As.com announces stage 4 at Arrate and stage 5 between Eibar and Pamplona. Who knows if they got this from the same 'source' they got the Tour route.
I hope for an incursion in France and something in the Arnosteguy mountain...let the Vuelta show Le Tour what they keep ignoring.

Ancares from the north? Could be the same road as in 2014 which is pretty much the hardest MTF in the Vuelta apart from the Angliru.

Hope they don't go too simple overall with just having every mountain stage be a MTF. Would hope Mirador de Ezaro isn't in the ITT, but if it is, definitely prefer if it's the only climb on an otherwise rolling route of at least 35km.

Ancares north would be very nice. Top 3 of the MTFs I want to see in the Vuelta right after Sierra Nevada via Hazallanas and Pierre Saint Martin via Issarbe.

Ancares north would be very nice. Top 3 of the MTFs I want to see in the Vuelta right after Sierra Nevada via Hazallanas and Pierre Saint Martin via Issarbe.
Pretty much. I'd like a more conventional Sierra Nevada if they go really high, though not necessarily all the way to Pico Veleta. What's the highest you can do that climb while using it as a pass?

And I think we all wanna see French Basque Country used properly and that's more likely to happen in the Vuelta than in the Tour, unless the Giro gets Zomegnan back and Madrid bids for the start.

Pretty much. I'd like a more conventional Sierra Nevada if they go really high, though not necessarily all the way to Pico Veleta. What's the highest you can do that climb while using it as a pass?

And I think we all wanna see French Basque Country used properly and that's more likely to happen in the Vuelta than in the Tour, unless the Giro gets Zomegnan back and Madrid bids for the start.
The conventional Sierra Nevada is rarely the most entertaining stage. The climb is to even for that. Mostly 5-7 % the whole way. Using Hazallans you would have something like a 4 km section of 11-13 %, followed by almost 20 km of 5-7 % climb. The chance for an early selection and huge time gaps would be much bigger than using the normal route.

Looking at the map, I think you can climb to over 2300m, the resorts/sports centre there, and descend to Granada. There are two routes up to that point. Ascend via Collado de las Sabinas (A-4025) and descend via A-395, the main road.

https://www.google.no/maps/@37.1140272,-3.4194016,15.25z

Agree on the French Basque Country. That would be great if they used some of those climbs. I would also like to see some of the big Catalan climbs used again, but understands that it's unlikely due to the current political situation.

The conventional Sierra Nevada is rarely the most entertaining stage. The climb is to even for that. Mostly 5-7 % the whole way. Using Hazallans you would have something like a 4 km section of 11-13 %, followed by almost 20 km of 5-7 % climb. The chance for an early selection and huge time gaps would be much bigger than using the normal route.

Looking at the map, I think you can climb to over 2300m, the resorts/sports centre there, and descend to Granada. There are two routes up to that point. Ascend via Collado de las Sabinas (A-4025) and descend via A-395, the main road.

https://www.google.no/maps/@37.1140272,-3.4194016,15.25z

Agree on the French Basque Country. That would be great if they used some of those climbs. I would also like to see some of the big Catalan climbs used again, but understands that it's unlikely due to the current political situation.
Isn't there a southern road up to Pico Veleta that joins a few km from the very top? Is that never gonna happen?

O wait that looks to be all gravel. I'll stick to fantasy land then.

I am sure he was being ironic...

Not so sure...
Ezaro...?
What Ezaro.,.?
This Ezaro...?
:p
ezaro.gif

mirador-de-ezaro.jpg

images

Some new rumours:
Andorra is out of the route.
There might be a finish at Moncalvillo (9.6k @ 8.5%), presumably the day before the Valdegovia stage.
The Ezaro TT is confirmed and will have about 30k of flat before the final climb (even though Paxareiras en route was teased by the official Twitter page). Looks quite similar to the 2017 Worlds TT.
There will be one or two more Galician stages, one of which will finish in Ribeira Sacra (presumably Luintra again, so should be a breakaway stage). No news on Ancares.

Reactions: Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS