• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I mean the climbers obviously wouldn't be happy but don't rule them out anyway. If they want a race behind closed doors they will probably start with the laps right away and if you ride that climb 15 times it's gonna hurt even though it's not super steep.

Thinking back to the giro, that climb also actually wasn't that easy. Freakin Contador attacked there in 2015, Zakarin won that year and Betancur almost won in 2018. Not exactly sprinters those guys.
2nd week though. GTs have a way of sometimes bringing GC and non classics men to the fore on such hills. Also, before hitting the circuit it had been a REALLY hard stage. Add in a field that's very void of puncheurs and it seems like a really hard route.

I've grown to dislike the 10-20 km laps at Worlds tbh. Always enough flat to wait for the final climb unless weather intervenes.

Reactions: richwallone
They said a course comparable to the one in Switzerland. Imola wouldn't fit that description. There should be a serious climb in it, not some slightly uphill street.

Why not make a lap with the Civiglio in it?
Cortina, Giau, Colle Santa Lucia, Falzarego and back to Cortina, bring it on, 4 laps on this circuit!
Organizing it on short notice and paying 4-5 M is a bit of a problem for everyone with the ongoing pandemic and the economic situation.

Reactions: Sandisfan
2nd week though. GTs have a way of sometimes bringing GC and non classics men to the fore on such hills. Also, before hitting the circuit it had been a REALLY hard stage. Add in a field that's very void of puncheurs and it seems like a really hard route.

I've grown to dislike the 10-20 km laps at Worlds tbh. Always enough flat to wait for the final climb unless weather intervenes.
Well, worlds are usually something like 250k long so again, I still think it would be very hard. The route in Firenze wasn't much harder and that ended up being a race for pure climbers.

I agreed about the classic 10-20km worlds lap though. That hasn't usually led to great racing.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, worlds are usually something like 250k long so again, I still think it would be very hard. The route in Firenze wasn't much harder and that ended up being a race for pure climbers.

I agreed about the classic 10-20km worlds lap though. That hasn't usually led to great racing.
A 1.1km climb and a 4km climb are so differnet though. Firenze in the end wasn't hard enough to drop non climbers out of the back and it took the final Fiesole climb for the climbers to fly away, which is probably a 8-9 minute climb.

30 reps on a 1.1km @7.5% is not a climbing course. It's much more of a puncheurs race with some hard man endurance type thing where it's about recovery of the hill reps rather than pure climbing legs, and I think it really depends on how long the flat is.

Mendrisio had the benefit that the longest flat was like 4km max and it had 2 100m+ climbs on a 14km circuit.

I wouldn't mind the Aprica - Santa Cristina - Aprica circuit of the legendary 1994 Giro stage. Maybe a bit too much to do it 13 times though ...

1nyU9D1.png

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
I saw this rumour posted by Peter van den Veen. Demi Vollering responded with great praise for the idea.

I am conflicted. I am a big fan of Demi's and miss the Route de France which was a good mountainous week-long women's race which in later years included that climb, but I hate Planche des Belles Filles with a burning passion and feel it needs about a seven or eight year layoff at this point to rehabilitate its mythos as we've gone way beyond saturation point with the climb now.

TRENDING THREADS