• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So just like Yorkshire or De Ronde.
Quite more twisty and narrow than Yorkshire final rounds, it seems.
Not that I have the exact route, but plotting the named points from the profile in this thread onto earth.google.com, it seems just one possibility for most of the time.
Narrow and twisty roads all the way, except for the short part of the autodrome, ofcourse.
A splendid choice IMHO and typically italian :)

Last edited:
Expected selection for the Danish team:
Expected selection for the Norwegian team:

Aah who am I kidding, the Norwegians will be completely irrelevant here. Maybe CF Hagen can score a top 20.

Speaking of which, its kind of shameful to have a 40min TT to decide the World Champion but it is what it is...
Tbh, I don't think that is a bad thing. Normally the WC ITT is pretty boring with big gaps and few contenders. If it's a bit shorter it should be a more open race. Also, there are not really any long ITTs during the season, so why should the WC be so different from what you compete in during the rest of the season?
Yes I know there is a lot of history involved, but if you look at other sports the WC is mostly pretty much the same length/format as other competitions during the season.

That's a bit ironic, isn't it? The team from the flat country has a potential favourite on a mountain-course. The team from the mountain country doesn't.

Well, it's also because many of the best Norwegian endurance athletes do cross country skiing (which is pretty much a non-sport in Denmark), which is a sport where Norway is best in the world..... Imagine if those people started riding bikes instead :cool:

Last edited:
I do think that will change over the next 5 years tho, if/when Foss, Leknessund, Træen etc develope. So if there is a mountain WC in 2026 or something, Norway might have a shot for a medal.
Fingers crossed, that might result in the Norwegian stage races becoming a bit better too, at the moment they seem to be built entirely around trying to get Kristoff or EBH to win, which makes them very unrepresentative of Norwegian geography!

Well, it's also because many of the best Norwegian endurance athletes do cross country skiing (which is pretty much a non-sport in Denmark), which is a sport where Norway is pretty much best in the world..... Imagine if those people started riding bikes instead :cool:

carl-fredrik-hagen-2020.jpeg

Reactions: Sandisfan
Quite more twisty and narrow than Yorkshire final rounds, it seems.
Not that I have the exact route, but plotting the named points from the profile in this thread onto earth.google.com, it seems just one possibility for most of the time.
Narrow and twisty roads all the way, except for the short part of the autodrome, ofcourse.
A splendid choice IMHO and typically italian :)

Here's the general info bulletin from UCI, you can see the correct route.

Yes thanks, just found it before your post. OK quite different from the route, I presumed. This is not as technical, but OK stille fine challenges. A real worlds route, I think.

Edit: No, wait I was looking at the wrong map (ITT route). The RR route is exactly what I plottet wednesday late night.
Try it out at 3D panning at earth.google.com, draw the route and take a flyover. Indeed a technical route :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollthedice
Expected selection for the Danish team:

Fuglsang (Astana)
Vingegaard (Jumbo)
Eg (Trek)
Hansen (Cofidis)
S. Kragh (Sunweb)
Valgren (NTT)
Asgreen (DQ)
Juul (Mitchelton)
M. Pedersen (Trek)

Reserve will probably be Honore (DQ).

Kragh is out, having told the Danish coach he cannot take part, because he is captaining the Binckbank Tour 2 days after, and Sunweb need him in peak condition there :(

First off I just like good old fashioned long ITTs. Furthermore I think worlds are an ideal stage to celebrate proper long time trials and the riders who shine in them. Theres hardly any long time trials in GTs anymore (1h+) because of the concern that they are killing the race and eliminate too many riders from contention which makes worlds, euros and nationals the only platforms to hold such longer ITTs on a regular basis.

There are a few time trialists who don't care much about the lenght of the ITT (Remco, Dumo etc.) but there are also those who excel at longer distances (Martin for example). Of course it's no problem to have shorter courses every now and then at worlds but I'd still prefer it to have ITTs at that stage be proper long ones as I fear that the trend will jump over to hold shorter ones. Especially as organiser seem to eliminate longer ITTs in every other race with every year (Giro being the slight exception).

Granted, 'disgrace' was a bit hyperbolic.

Is his to lose definitely sounds exaggerated. It's a very good course which should allow different scenarios to play out and to give different types of riders a chance. Van Aert, van Avermaet, Alaphilippe, Formolo, Fuglsang, Schachmann, Bettiol, Hirschi, even Roglic and Pogacar could have a chance should they not be done or champagnous after the Tour. I think on his best of days van der Poel could take this as well. Nibali - I'm not sure about his form.

TRENDING THREADS