• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why not. His form is fine, he can handle the distance, he can handle the hills, he packs a decent sprint. I would say a rider who's skills suits this course.
And who has a shot?

Probably nobody, according to Rick. Maybe Fuglsang and Nibali (who has shown no form, but that doesn't matter with him) but even that might be a stretch.

Saying that Roglic is without a shot is pretty ridiculous to be honest.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really think a lot of punchy climbers are gonna get wrecked here due to attrition. It's basically why I think Alaphilippe and even guys like Roglic, who doesn't really have a pedigree for long, arduous races, are toast. Same goes for the Yates bros IMO.

Several years ago now, but Adam has won San Sebastian. Some good placings in LBL too. I wouldn't be putting him as a top favourites, but he's easily a 1/2 star (out of 5) contender who can do well

Probably nobody, according to Rick. Maybe Fuglsang and Nibali (who has shown no form, but that doesn't matter with him) but even that might be a stretch.

Saying that Roglic is without a shot is pretty ridiculous to be honest.
Yes my favorites lists are just exclusively riders I like, which is why it's weird Roglic wouldn't be on it.

Fuglsang and Van Aert are the standout favorites by far, and I'm not particularly a fan of either.

Reactions: Rollthedice
That British team is super disappointing given Thomas is hardly over-raced at the moment and the course looks well within his capability. I'll be interested to see how Knox and Pidcock do but overall it looks like the Brits aren't taking it seriously. Again,

And as the WCRR is my second favourite day of the calendar after Roubaix it's a running disappointment.

While I appreciate all the talk of Fuglsang being the favorite, I think the riders that did the Tour have an advantage.

Obviously it would be a greater advantage, if Worlds was 2 weeks after Champs Elysee, but 1 week after the Tour, should be enough to get rid of fatigue for most of them, especially the ones that don't ride GC.

The Giro riders (especially captains), are timing their shape to peak 3 weeks after Worlds.

Should not riders who are good at Strade and Liège be good here, too?

Woods would be among the favourites for me.
It's going to be harder than Liege and Strade imo. Too much climbing. It's not for the mountain goats though, but for the climbers who have a good punch and great endurance.
It's too hard even for Alaphilippe, I think. For Van Aert too.
Fuglsang, Roglic, Valverde, Nibali, Dumoulin, Woods, Pinot, Majka, Uran should be good here.

Germany RR:

Nikias Arndt (Sunweb)
Simon Geschke (CCC Team)
Jonas Koch (CCC Team)
Maximilian Schachmann (Bora- hansgrohe)
Georg Zimmermann (CCC Team)
Paul Martens (Jumbo - Visma)
Nico Denz (Sunweb)
John Degenkolb (Lotto Sudal)

TRENDING THREADS