• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With this not quite the strongest field, I wonder, if there actually is a high probability of a top favouite to win. To me it looks like a long range attack of underdogs could actually have a pretty decent chance a the race could very well forego as the last olympic games road race did.

With this not quite the strongest field, I wonder, if there actually is a high probability of a top favouite to win. To me it looks like a long range attack of underdogs could actually have a pretty decent chance a the race could very well forego as the last olympic games road race did.

We can see a repeat of 2013 here. Definitely, three groups will be separated under a minute going into the last 10 kilometers.

It may have been posted elsewhere, but the route for the Worlds 2021 was unveiled, and it's pretty good. Not in Ronde territory, but plenty of little hills and roads with a lot of twists and turns, making it easier to attack and harder to organize a chase.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
It may have been posted elsewhere, but the route for the Worlds 2021 was unveiled, and it's pretty good. Not in Ronde territory, but plenty of little hills and roads with a lot of twists and turns, making it easier to attack and harder to organize a chase.
There's a dedicated thread:

Reactions: Jagartrott
We can see a repeat of 2013 here. Definitely, three groups will be separated under a minute going into the last 10 kilometers.
Not exactly sure, maybe only with the number of groups. But the time difference and the key members could be different. In Florence, it was good Il Lombardia/Ardeness riders, best/extraordinary Flemish Classics riders and then the not so top riders from both categories. The weather was terrible, so that influenced the race too, and to marginally.

On the other hand, here, if the top guys were all present then it might have been that case. But here, if GvA or Gilbert(or even both) goes to long range attack with some other guys, leaving WVA in the peloton, It may very well end up in climbers catching the underdogs, not vice versa like in Florence.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It is indeed very hard to predict. Apart from its placement in the calendar, it strikes a fine balance between climbers and puncheurs.

Obviously Wout Van Aert is the one to beat but weird things could happen. If they arrive at the climb the final time in one group then it's unlikely anyone will drop him enough that he wouldn't get back on on the descent and if that happens then he's highly likely to win the sprint.

I've had a few dollars on Porte (375-1) and De La Cruz (500-1) both of whom have come out of the Tour in good form.

Slovenian team for Imola confirmed:

ITT: Tratnik
Road race: Roglič, Pogačar, Brajkovič, Tratnik, Novak, Polanc, Mezgec, Pibernik (Mohorič as reserve - he said he didn't recover yet from the crashes in the Tour and is tired)

Jani Brajkovič? Wow, I thought he retired like 5 years ago. I think him and Valjavec are the pioneers of slovenian cycling and have a massive impact on this new incredible generation. It's amazing that he can now ride with them, and a medal for Slovenia with him in the team would be an icing on the cake.

Jani Brajkovič? Wow, I thought he retired like 5 years ago. I think him and Valjavec are the pioneers of slovenian cycling and have a massive impact on this new incredible generation. It's amazing that he can now ride with them, and a medal for Slovenia with him in the team would be an icing on the cake.

He was fourth in both the national road race and ITT this year. So he is still alive and kicking

OK now have three different weather forecasts all stating temps are gonna fall from 21-25°C and light clouds on saturday, dropping to 11-13°C and heavy rain all sunday, race day.
Seems like another Harrogate with no hords of fans, but this time due to Covid-19.
Should be another exciting race :cool:

Last edited:
  • Wow
I'd never bet on him in a 258km race to be honest. He never performed at his best in a one day long race.

Roglič would be the favourite if the weather was better that it is going to be and if the first part of the race was slow-pedaled. Put a fresh Roglič on those steep muritos with a downhill afterwards and he wins more times than not. But with the lenght, the bad weather and the sheer unpredictability it becomes a race of attrition . something Roglič isn't best in (plus we have seen last year that he was really out of sorts after the Vuelta and needed three weeks before hittinf top form in Italian classics again). Pogačar is more suited to that (the weather and the race) in the Slovenian team. But two cards to play is always better than one!

OK now have three different weather forecasts all stating temps are gonne fall from 21-25°C and light clouds on saturday, dropping to 11-13°C and heavy rain all sunday, race day.
Seems like another Harrogate with no hords of fans, but this time due to Covid-19.
Should be another exciting race :cool:

So..... "Dane weather"!

If that is indeed the weather Sunday, Valgren will win - he has the same affinity for rough weather as Mads Pedersen, but he can climb :p

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS