• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, bad weather changes the odds. + for Pogacar, Nibali, - for Valverde, Lutsenko, Alaphilippe.

Hirschi during the tt seemed more affected by his crash than I thought, so I don't know what his form will be like.
Bad weather or not, how is anybody going to get rid of van Aert, Pogacar and Fuglsang? Fuglsang probably with a longer range attack, unless the Danes make this very hard from the beginning... well, they won't get rid of van Aert and Pogacar anyway, me thinks?

Fuglsang isn't exactly bad in bad weather, is he? Imagine if Valgren were to win - which, honestly, would be impressive; he wasn't exactly flying in the Tour - then it would be the second time in a row Fuglsang was (co-)leader, only to have the leadership snatched away midway through by someone else. But, of course, the power of Fuglgren cannot be denied! :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm struggling to find reasons not consider Fuglsang the favourite on such a course, bad weather or not. He has not just won but dominated the last 2 hilly Monuments. He seems in good shape, has a solid team behind him, etc.

I've seen him at 10/1 on betting sites. Don't understand that.

I'm struggling to find reasons not consider Fuglsang the favourite on such a course, bad weather or not. He has not just won but dominated the last 2 hilly Monuments. He seems in good shape, has a solid team behind him, etc.

I've seen him at 10/1 on betting sites. Don't understand that.

I was thinking pretty much the same, but maybe people underestimate him now because he did not shine that bright at T-A. I would not call him the overwhelming favourite, but certainly very much among the absolute top candidates. Ah, also I've heard some people say the winner must come from the Tour, although I don't think so.

also I've heard some people say the winner must come from the Tour, although I don't think so.

I agree it's not as clear cut as that.

The Tour ended just 7 days ahead of the race, so fatigue will play a role, for many of the riders that did GC (or worked hard for a GC team) at the Tour.

However people who did not do GC, like for instance Alaphilippe, should turn up for Worlds in stellar form.

After a less than stellar Tour, I think Alaphilippe will bounce back at Worlds, especially if the French team keeps him from attacking 20 times from the start :p

• Haha
Is he selected?

He should be, but does not appear on the start list on PCS:

That list is out of date; Ireland are only sending 4, not 6.

I'd presume Alaphilippe would be one of the riders France would send, whether to ride in support, or as a potential winner. Even out of form, he would still have a lot to offer the team, so would surely be offered a place.

I think Pedersen is climbing better than Valgren at the moment.

Usually, I love when the weather is bad but it also makes me a little sad that that will probably mean game over for Valverde on a route where he could have gotten another medal.

I'm still not convinced his form was good enough. However, with this weather it's highly unlikely he doesn't even do more than start the race and climb off very early like last year. This year, without being able to have family with him I wouldn't entirely be surprised if he doesn't just pull out of the race completely.

• Wow
That list is out of date; Ireland are only sending 4, not 6.

I'd presume Alaphilippe would be one of the riders France would send, whether to ride in support, or as a potential winner. Even out of form, he would still have a lot to offer the team, so would surely be offered a place.

When a list has more names than the team has spots at Worlds, it's because the final selection has not been entered yet.

Ecuador want to send riders. Federation has said they have received yes from Ineos for Carapaz to participate, no for Narvaez, situation for the others is not clear.

According to El Comercio in Ecuador, they are sending Carapaz, Caicedo and the Cepedas.

Oh, let's please not open that up again. NOBODY agrees with you, Koronin, and last year you were banned because you spammed the entire forum with your view. Everybody got it.

My opinion of last year's race was it was horrible. At least Imola has a better course, but the race won't be much better if that's the weather for it. I do have the right to say I hate the weather for it and I find it makes racing much worse because well over half the field will climb off the bike simply because they have no interest in continuing in that weather. Basically you've just eliminated 2/3rd of the field from even wanting to race to start with. That doesn't exactly make for good racing.

TRENDING THREADS