• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Cittadella – Monte Zoncolan 204 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Clickety-Click!

• Voodoo Shark!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • DROPPED!

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • ATTACK!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Someone to fall over on the steepest part

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Two-races-in-one kind of day

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
Groupetto boys: "This climb isn't so hard"

E2AlkmiXsAUGYrD

But the gearing used today for climbs such as Angliru or Zoncolan is very different, as far as I now. For these really steep climbs this can make a huge difference. Lance Armstrong is no good example, as in the TdF climbs are not that steep.
It will definitely make some difference. But keep in mind that Heras holds the record on Angliru by more than a minute with the gearing of 2000. So beeing faster than 2003 is great achievement (regardless of improvements in gearing).

Reactions: Fantastico
The equipment is much better than in 2003 and especially the gearing - They should be riding a minute quicker.
Yeah, the gearing is probably a big difference on the steep part of the climb.
Gibo also didn't have this kind of train.
Just looking at the super steep part Bernal was 21 seconds faster than Gibo, impressive, but a lot of it comes down to modern gearing on those gradient.

Reactions: Carols and Lui98
But the gearing used today for climbs such as Angliru or Zoncolan is very different, as far as I now. For these really steep climbs this can make a huge difference. Lance Armstrong is no good example, as in the TdF climbs are not that steep.
Looks like most GC riders were going with 39 front and 28-30 rear in 2003;

Lots of metal in there, too. Carbon hadn't completely taken over just yet.

What are Ineos running for stages with big climbs like today? Would they have a 32?

I haven't commented here for some time. Bernal confirming to be the strongest again showing off his VO2max in the finale. He's in the driving seat for victory but Yates is capable of competing with him in the 3rd week methinks (but none else). Remco seems to be running out of gas in the 2nd part of the race: after all it's his first GT ever after 9 months without racing.

Ok, that may be a quite historic stage. Not because of racing but results. This might be the most unlikely podium in a long time as none of Fortunato (or maybe FORTUNATO!!1! ?), (s)Tratnik and Covi were in anybody's minds for today. Also Ciccone's result may change Giro for next few years with less to no TT (like TdF recently), less to no difficut surfaces and only climbing - close to how it was in the late 90's when Pantani, Gotti and Tonkov were ruling.

Losers of the day: Astana. They did all that work for no reason, and their leader got dropped. Ineos says thank you.
Señor Horner will either give them the prestigious Knuklehead Award or to Pistolero for that Madrid to Milano challenge. Honourable mention should go to both Benett and TGBM for just failing in general.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Escarabajo
Congratulations to Lorenzo Fortunato for winning Zoncolan.

Bernal and Ineos look strong and as only more mountains are ahead in week 3 i feel that Bernal could win this one by a large margin. Maybe Yates can still challenge Bernal but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Evenepoel will likely struggle in week 3 and as he is losing a bit on gravel, on punchy finishes, climbing ... Not sure is Almeida will help all that much in week 3. Top 10 would be a nice achievement on this Giro.

Tratnik. In his own words, ***! He was on a mission today and nearly made it. Respect. Tratnik, Roglič, Pogačar, Mohorič ... Not complaining at all.

P.S. Enough for now from my side and directly from Zoncolan back to Eurovision Song Contest.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
The field is freaking stacked. Just because one guy is overperforming and some are underperforming doesn't mean that there aren't many great GC riders here. Honestly just the presence of Pog or Rog could really turn it up a notch imo.

Right now we have 7 real GC riders left, Caruso, Ciccone, Vlasov, have never been near the top 5 in a CG. Carthy and Buchmann each have 1 good GT result. Of them Buchmann I would say is a tiny bit below top shape, Carthy isnt reaching new hights either. Caruso is 33 and we kind of know what he can do and what he normally cant, him being in 3rd place is a strong indicator that this field isnt the strongest right now.

TRENDING THREADS