• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Cittadella – Monte Zoncolan 204 km

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Clickety-Click!

• Voodoo Shark!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • DROPPED!

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • ATTACK!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Someone to fall over on the steepest part

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Two-races-in-one kind of day

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
E2AzOv6WUAEx23b
Is this moron trying to perform a touch down on poor Fortunato? I'm happy that he survived this with a win in his bag.

I am just wondering is it normal that the better rider has to pull a worse teammate, you know like its happening with DQS; everybody has to work for the Belgians :), DQS goal is I guess no rider in top 10 GC at the end
Of course it’s normal. Cycling has a long history of riders, especially one who’s only 22, having their own ambitions reined in to help out a visibly struggling team leader. The only unusual part with Evenepoel is that he’s even younger than Almeida.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Is this moron trying to perform a touch down on poor Fortunato? I'm happy that he survived this with a win in his bag.
I wonder what goes through the minds of these morons when they think - "I might go watch a cycling race today"?

I have trouble believing any such people have raced a bike else they would understand how infuriating it is to have people doing that whilst you are basically at your limits.

Physically interfering with riders like that they should be charged by police. People get huge fines for running on football pitches. Its all on camera.

Right now we have 7 real GC riders left, Caruso, Ciccone, Vlasov, have never been near the top 5 in a CG. Carthy and Buchmann each have 1 good GT result. Of them Buchmann I would say is a tiny bit below top shape, Carthy isnt reaching new hights either. Caruso is 33 and we kind of know what he can do and what he normally cant, him being in 3rd place is a strong indicator that this field isnt the strongest right now.
Porte was third last year at the TdF, and I think he had never had similar results before. Does it mean the field was bad? I guess people will now start saying that Pogacar did not deserve his win because he didn't have to ride against Pogacar. Caruso is in the form of his life and this is one of the rare occasions where he can lead the team.

You will never find a GT where all the potential competitors are in good form and don't crash out. On paper this Giro had several people who either won or podium'ed in GTs: Bernal, Yates, Nibali, Carthy, Landa, Bardet. Many others like Martin and Buchmann have also had high finishes in the past. Then add the young promises: Vlasov, Almeida (who showed he deserved his 4th place of last year by riding very well except for stage four), Evenepoel, Sivakov, and Hindley (who was nowhere, but apparently quite ill). Ciccone and Caruso have been pleasant surprises; and there are other solid riders who were supposed to ride for GC, like Bennett.

I call this a stacked field, regardless of inevitable lack of form/luck/crashes.

Right now we have 7 real GC riders left, Caruso, Ciccone, Vlasov, have never been near the top 5 in a CG. Carthy and Buchmann each have 1 good GT result. Of them Buchmann I would say is a tiny bit below top shape, Carthy isnt reaching new hights either. Caruso is 33 and we kind of know what he can do and what he normally cant, him being in 3rd place is a strong indicator that this field isnt the strongest right now.
The only reason why some riders are dropping is not because they are not in top form. I could say the same thing about Bernal last year in the Tour. Roglic's win in the Vuelta in 2018. I get tired of reading these silly posts as soon as we see someone dominating the race. But before the race everyone was doubting him.

Last edited:

I mean Caruso has 3 top 10 performances including a 10th as a domestique in that stacked Tour field last year. He's always been a very strong climber but rode in service of others. He likely wouldnt be where he is here if Landa hadn't crashed out but he's taking his chance.

Porte was third last year at the TdF, and I think he had never had similar results before. Does it mean the field was bad? I guess people will now start saying that Pogacar did not deserve his win because he didn't have to ride against Pogacar. Caruso is in the form of his life and this is one of the rare occasions where he can lead the team.

You will never find a GT where all the potential competitors are in good form and don't crash out. On paper this Giro had several people who either won or podium'ed in GTs: Bernal, Yates, Nibali, Carthy, Landa, Bardet. Many others like Martin and Buchmann have also had high finishes in the past. Then add the young promises: Vlasov, Almeida (who showed he deserved his 4th place of last year by riding very well except for stage four), Evenepoel, Sivakov, and Hindley (who was nowhere, but apparently quite ill). Ciccone and Caruso have been pleasant surprises; and there are other solid riders who were supposed to ride for GC, like Bennett.

I call this a stacked field, regardless of inevitable lack of form/luck/crashes.

Well the thing is this happens in most GTs. On paper u get a great field. Then few potential contenders arent in topshape. Few crash out, few get sick. Last years Tdf field was amazing on paper, Pogacar, Roglic, Bernal, Quintana, Pinot, Dumolin, Landa, Buchmann, the list goes on. In the end most of those guys never performed to their potential for one reason or the other. The same with last year's giro field, Yates, Thomas etc didn't finish the race. It's pretty common. Last years tour we had 2 outstanding riders, the rest of the GC contender field was solid but not amazing. This giro so far we have 1 outstanding rider.

The only reason why some riders are dropping is not because they are not in top form. I could say the same thing about Bernal last year in the Tour. Roglic's win in the Vuelta in 2018. I get tired of reading these silly posts as soon as we see someone dominating the race. But before the race everyone was doubting him.

Well it kind of is. But it's normal too. Its super rare that we really get a GT were we have like 3 or 4 Top Contenders in their absolute top shape for the entire race.

So far I've watched nearly every stage I could of this Giro but it somehow doesn't feel like the Giro.. it's a bit of a boring edition i'm afraid.
Bernal is strong and probably too strong.

Too many stages go to the breakaway. And there's no real drama really. I hope the final week delivers more...
Same, but I felt that way in the third week of last years Giro too, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of any of the riders still in contention for the win.

TRENDING THREADS