• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 20: Verbania – Alpe Motta 165 km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

WIll Bernal crack?

• Yes, on the 1st climb

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Yes, on the penultimate climb

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Yes, on the final climb

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • No, he will only lose a small amount of time at the end of the stage

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • No, he will be able to follow his competitors

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, he will destroy everyone

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Spluga, Gorizia... Italians don't begrudge foreignized names.

"then the valley to climb the Passo dello Colma – a pleonasm as Colma is the local word for a pass" :D

Reactions: sir fly
I don't understand this line of thought. They would be sitting out the back and we wouldn't see coverage of them for the entire last week. What difference does it make having more riders in a groupetto?
Abandoning the race is a sign of a complete lack of the respect to the race, organisers, cycling fans, the tradition, and other riders who give everything to survive all the 21 stages.
Actually the stage victories shouldn't be confirmed until the rider finishes the whole race.

Abandoning the race is a sign of a complete lack of the respect to the race, organisers, cycling fans, the tradition, and other riders who give everything to survive all the 21 stages.
Actually the stage victories shouldn't be confirmed until the rider finishes the whole race.
What's to prevent riders faking injuries ala Ewan? And surely you wouldn't disqualify a rider for abandoning due to a legitimate injury...

I don't blame sprinters for abandoning a race they have zero incentives to complete. I mean, this is cycling, traditions are nice and all but people will do everything to get an advantage, surely killing your legs up monstrous climbs at 70 to 80 kilos doesn't bring you many advantages for the rest of the season. If there were a prestigious last week sprint stage in the Giro and the Vuelta, like in Paris, then things would be different.

I do have a problem with Ewan's statements though. It's great if he wins stages in all GTs in one season, but that sounds so awesome exactly because of the tremendous effort one needs to make in order to do that and survive 63 days of hard racing. If you do (not even) half of that and skip the hard part, well, it's a lesser achievement in my book.

TRENDING THREADS