• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 21: Senago – Milano 30.3 km ITT

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ganna?

• 0.1 - 10 seconds

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 10.1 - 20 seconds

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 20.1 - 30 seconds

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • 30.1 - 40 seconds

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • 40.1 - 50 seconds

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • 50.1 - 60 seconds

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Over a minute

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No! (Who? - name in your reply)

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters
theres no way Caruso gains two minutes

This is basically like the TT in 2017 (30km flat). Back then Dumoulin in top form gained 1'24 on Quintana.
Caruso is not as good as Dumoulin in ITT. Bernal is at least equal if not better than Quintana at TT.

It's never going to happen
I mentioned it multiple times in reference to Evenepoel not taking 2 minutes in Milan, but whatevs. Could make an argument Dumoulin was already fading then, but Caruso straight up is not an elite ITTer in the first place.

If he takes more than 30s I'll be pretty surprised.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Caruso surely didn't go all out in the opening time trial, he didn't know he'd fight for the first places.

But two minutes...
he would need an incredibly good day and Bernal an incredibly f*d up day.

You go all in because your team leader might abandon i.e. Landa {see Sivakov below].

Martinez went faster than Bernal in the opening ITT. So did Castroviejo and Moscon [and Sivakov (but we know he's good for a crash)]

I mentioned it multiple times in reference to Evenepoel not taking 2 minutes in Milan, but whatevs. Could make an argument Dumoulin was already fading then, but Caruso straight up is not an elite ITTer in the first place.

If he takes more than 30s I'll be pretty surprised.

A 67kg rider who can mostly keep up with a 60kg rider (assuming the weight difference is more or less correct) up the climbs should be able to take more than 30 seconds in a flat 30k TT.

But lets see.

The distance between Bernal and Caruso is almost the same as what Carapaz had on Nibali in 2019. The last ITT was about half of this one and Nibali gained about 59 secs. Bernal is better than Carapaz but I sure hope Caruso will channel his inner Pog just to make things more interesting.

Reactions: Carols
The distance between Bernal and Caruso is almost the same as what Carapaz had on Nibali in 2019. The last ITT was about half of this one and Nibali gained about 59 secs. Bernal is better than Carapaz but I sure hope Caruso will channel his inner Pog just to make things more interesting.
For reference, Caruso gained 1'03" on Carapaz in 17km in that same ITT.

Beautiful day on the route. It's a bit cloudy but there shouldn't be rain. Around 23 degrees. Road conditions are pretty good, a few sectors have been resurfaced.

This morning I went for a ride with some other aficionados and a couple legends of the sport. Nice to see Gianni Motta and Francesco Moser still going strong.
Does Francesco still look like he could beat up nearly all the riders today? I walked into him before the start of a stage of the TOTA a few years ago. He looked like a strong, older guy who had been doing manual labour all his life.

Reactions: Lui98
Recon done.

egan.jpg

ganna.jpg

TRENDING THREADS