• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Piacenza - Sestola 186 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Poll?

• Yes

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fairly remorseless looking profile and potentially bad weather? If it was ridden hard I think the GC could be over for a fair few candidates. But probably only Ineos and DQS are strong enough to do that and would they be willing this early in the race?
Yeah I just don't get why a lot of teams would bother with trying to get pink on this stage. Seems like the right call on this one is to conserve and defend. I'm hugely rooting for Evenepoel and as such I don't want to see them defending pink for almost 3 weeks.

If I'm DQS I would not help pull back a break for the bulk of the stage, and I would not burn any extra matches other than to not lose any GC time. Ineos seems like they are more willing, experienced, and under more obligation to hang onto Pink. Let them chase.

Pancake flat first half (like too many stages in this race) and heading into a strong headwind with driving rain. Normally nobody wants to go in the break but then again (given the finish) nobody wants to chase so looks like a stalemate. Perhaps they should just do the first 75 km on the team buses again

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
That's what I've been asking myself. It's quite possible that Remco will want to impress and there's big hype and expectations so he'll give it a go. But there are quite a few very good climbers here with strong teams. I certainly hope they are not intimidated by Remcomania and will proceed in showing the young prodigy that this is not the Tour of Poland.
I think so too. But Remcomania (TM RTD) is so much fun. You should give it a go, knock yourself out!

Fairly remorseless looking profile and potentially bad weather? If it was ridden hard I think the GC could be over for a fair few candidates. But probably only Ineos and DQS are strong enough to do that and would they be willing this early in the race?
Is there enough potential in the route for damage like the T-A epic this year where the top 10 were scattered all over the road with minutes worth gaps between them supposing 1-2 teams wanted to lay it on the line and eliminate some contenders?

• Love
Is there enough potential in the route for damage like the T-A epic this year where the top 10 were scattered all over the road with minutes worth gaps between them supposing 1-2 teams wanted to lay it on the line and eliminate some contenders?
If the stage were in the final week, it would have been more likely imho. I think most will not risk it with 3 weeks head. Maybe Ineos or DQT, the strongest teams, could try something in the final?

PS: if some GC guys can't keep up on a wet descent though...

Last edited:
  • Wow
I'm loving the look of this stage, especially with the weather forecast.

The break could win but I'm leaning towards it being a GC day, largely because I figure there's a good chance in the last 50km some GC guy will be having a bad day and others will push the speed to eliminate him from GC contention.

If it's a GC day then I think Almeida should be favourite. Unless it becomes incredibly attritional he is unlikely to be dropped and his sprint is the best of the GC guys. I also think he will be super motivated to get a stage win after being seven times in the top four in Giro stages last year without winning.

If it's a day for the break then Simon Carr (80-1) is interesting. He has a history of allergies that mean he has always preferred wet weather and has climbed really well at times this season. Also, he dropped time yesterday so will certainly have freedom.

Either way, I think it'll be worth staying up for (finishes around 3:30am NZ time). :)

Nervous GC stage. The top dawgs will be testing each other a bit without going all in.

I'm going with Bernal for the sprint if they arrive in a group of 7-10 riders together. Maybe Almeida is the fastest GC rider but I'm not sure he can survive on such a steep climb. Bilbao who I think have a better chance of surviving can be fast too.

TRENDING THREADS