• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Castel di Sangro - Campo Felice (Rocca di Cambio) 158 km (Sunday May 16)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will happen on stage 9?

• Remco will take Pink

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • At least two of Pellaud, Tagliani, Cepeda and Ponomar will be in the break

• Bahrain Victorious

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Someone (most likely Dan Martin) will crash in the tunnel just before the sterrato climb

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Someone will suffer from back pain

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Mollema will be bullied again

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Ganna will lead the peloton for 100 km on his own

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Thomas De Gendt will avenge the death of Ewan's knee with Einer Rubio in his wheel

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Ciccone will attack like a madman

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Vino

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Absolute carnage. Ineos to send ahead 1-2 guys on the first climb and then Bernal will get ready to unleash his demons on the third climb. Evenepoel will get dropped by Bernal in the descent but come back on the flat and absolutely draw an echelon between them all on his own. The two Ineos guys sent ahead will drop back to Bernal but they won't gain an inch until Evenepoel heroically cracks on the final climb because he didn't eat his gels.
They will both finish in the same time but will Bernal will win the sprint for bonus seconds.

Actualy winner will be Bauke Mollema though who also attacked and didn't drop back to help Bernal.

I have my popcorn prepared, my cellphone turned off and I secured internet access with a freshly packaged three-inch thick ethernet cable.

I looked at those gradients and winced. Far too easy for a strong team to control this race.

Due to the fact that GC action is unlikely, what are the odds the break takes it?

Edit: I just saw that stage 10 is likely a breakaway as well. I doubt we'll have three consecutive breakaway winners...

I looked at those gradients and winced. Far too easy for a strong team to control this race.

Due to the fact that GC action is unlikely, what are the odds the break takes it?
I think it really depends on Ineos. With guys like Ganna, Moscon, Narvaez and Castroviejo, they really have a team to hammer it on these low gradients climbs. I would lean towards a GC-battle for the stage.

Reactions: Big Doopie
None of the favorites is gonna spent a lot of energy tomorrow. Stage is not hard enough, so quite easy to control and there are a lot of much better opportunities coming up these next two weeks.

Just some small gaps between the top favourites and nothing more.

They knew Rigoberto was not going to ride this race so they decided to skip it.
Been there, done that. However, i never did a "radioactive" joke.

This is not really a terrain for carnage. Stages 11 & 12 are on paper more suited for carnage even if not much may happen because the big stuff's yet to come. I'm worried the only stage suited for carnage is stage 20 as the mountain stages before have very hard MTFs while the Dolomiti stage is the first proper mountain stage and has Giau as Great Wall. Tomorrow it may go to GC guys but it'll be an uphill sprint inside sterrato, similar to the SPdBF in TdF '19.

If i were Ineos, i would absolutely not drill this stage. The profile fits Evenepoel a lot more than Bernal. Say they did drill this stage, burn the likes of Moscon, Ganna, Castro & Narvaez, hoping to wear down Evenepoel and they get in the final of this stage with Bernal not having 2 big motors by his side, Bernal could get a beating. Best case, Bernal takes a few seconds on the line, he gets pink and Ineos have to work every day. Worst case, he loses a lot more and wore the team down for nothing.

And i think Evenepoel is not going to do anything, unless maybe Ineos throw it in his lap. Which they'd be doing by drilling it, imho. Had this stage been in the last week, and Evenepoel needed the time, then i think he would go for it. But at this moment, it would be stupid of him to set up a raid... unless maybe Ineos throw it in his lap.

Last edited:
Ovindoli's enough long and close to the finish to inspire some sieving. I can imagine the breakaway reduction or an attack there.
The same goes for the bunch, with a potential attack delayed for the final ramp.
Very similar to the previous showdowns.

If i were Ineos, i would absolutely not drill this stage. The profile fits Evenepoel a lot more than Bernal. Say they did drill this stage, burn the likes of Moscon, Ganna, Castro & Narvaez, hoping to wear down Evenepoel and they get in the final of this stage with Bernal not having 2 big motors by his side, Bernal could get a beating. Best case, Bernal takes a few seconds on the line, he gets pink and Ineos have to work every day. Worst case, he loses a lot more and wore the team down for nothing.

And i think Evenepoel is not going to do anything, unless maybe Ineos throw it in his lap. Which they'd be doing by drilling it, imho. Had this stage been in the last week, and Evenepoel needed the time, then i think he would go for it. But at this moment, it would be stupid of him to set up a raid... unless maybe Ineos throw it in his lap.

I agree with most of what you said; other than the fact that Ineos shouldn't waste too many opportunities to gain time on Evenepoel. If they think like this on every stage except the one with Zoncolan, it might be too late and Bernal will get smoked in the TT. He needs more than a minute, at the very minimum.

Yeah and there are some beautiful places along the way if you like mountain scenery: Barrea, Scanno, the plateau between Ovindoli and Rocca di Cambio.
I know the profile is not very appealing but those roads bring back such good memories for me that I'm ok with this stage.

as a molisano neighbour I absolutely love the entire Val di Sangro-Marsica area and Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo-Lazio-Molise, probably one the most fascinating area in the Appenines along with the more northern and famous Gran Sasso area (I'm doing a bit of advertising :p).
Of course, the cycling culture is not comparable to the Alpine-Dolomitic area but if people like to enjoy trekking-cycling surrounded by more rurality and peace this is the choice (and let's not forget "i tratturi")! It's also not far from Rome.

this is the tiny village of "Opi" (near Pescasseroli), a drawing by the dutch Maurits Cornelis Escher (1929?)
escher.jpg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS