• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2021 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ranking the Giro d'Italia favourites by how likely they are to poop by the roadside.

E0suNokXIAA5xyb

E0suNokXIAEmY3Q
I think I've found the reason for back problems for both Bernal and Pinot. They spend too much time with cows and goats.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
My main concern with Dan Martin is that Giro is a more technical race than either Vuelta or Tour.
There are a few difficult descents on this years's route where a rider like Martin could crash or be left behind, plus I'm pretty sure he won't like the sterrato stage.

He should do better than in 2014 though.

Simon Yates has the clearest form to win.
Remco will be there to help Almeida because Masnada won't. Or the hype will be that Remco wins every single stage once the flag drops.
Landa will be up there but he'll still do Landa things by not winning.
Dan Martin will do well uphill but Zakarin things downhill.
Bernal will be hoping that his back holds up or that Sivakov doesn't crash into him.

If Bernal's back is okay he should be the top favourite. Those mountain stages in the last nine days are perfect for him. He will lose something in the time trials, but there's ample opportunity to make that up.

Yates is still somewhat doubtful over three weeks. The mountains in Italy are higher and longer than those in Spain.

Evenepoel should realistically not be among the top favorites, but on the other hand he was impressive in Burgos last year, so it's not unthinkable. However after that heavy injury and without competition it would be abnormal if he could win this, also because it's only his first GT.

Landa looked like a future Giro winner a few years ago, and he's here now as the leader of a strong team. He's underhyped at the moment. If he can avoid his usual time loss in the first half of a GT he can become a contender in the high mountains.

Vlasov is another question mark. He looked very strong in several one day and one week races, but he still has everything to prove in a GT.

Nibali seems to be past his peak as a GT rider, although you can't completely write him off. He still has the experience and the tactics, and maybe he's been hiding himself.

Other than those six there are guys like Soler, Buchmann, Bennett and Carthy, but they'd probably settle for a place of honour. It's funny how Hndley and Almeida are hardly among the favorites, in spite of finishing second and third last year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The worry for Yates is, has he again timed his peak wrong? He was superb in Alpes, yet that was like 3/4 weeks away from where Giro will be won and lost, I’d like him to prove me wrong, but it does have 2018 vibes of being excellent first two weeks, then blowing up in the last week.

Looking forward to it, as there is question marks over all the top favourites really.

The worry for Yates is, has he again timed his peak wrong? He was superb in Alpes, yet that was like 3/4 weeks away from where Giro will be won and lost, I’d like him to prove me wrong, but it does have 2018 vibes of being excellent first two weeks, then blowing up in the last week.

Looking forward to it, as there is question marks over all the top favourites really.
He surely won’t be as pompous about being stellar early in the race? We’ll see I guess.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Who do you think will handle the gravel best? Nibali should be alright if he's alright. I guess Bernal with not too much pain should be the favourite, since he's an ex-mtb and did great in Strade Bianche? Bardet should be among the better ones, too?
Who else? Who's most in danger?
Are we only talking about GC riders here?
Sagan should like the stage. I guess Quinten Hermans might do well too, considering his CX background.
I'd pick Bardet and Bernal among GC riders.

Most in danger: Dan Martin? Remco? Maybe Carthy?

TRENDING THREADS