• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

MrF

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
So we could expect up to as much as six mountain stages?

Zoncolan/Montasio
Cortina
Valtellina
Pila
Aosta
Cuneo

Probably a bit too much to expect it but Verbania could also be at least a medium mountain stage if it turns out to be a road race and not an ITT.

What about the Appennines? Any rumors there?
Pila and Aosta are the same I think. The day after could start in Aosta and finish in Alba.
According to Eshnar Gualdo Tadino or Foligno has a stage finish which could be an Appennines mountain stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pila and Aosta are the same I think. The day after could start in Aosta and finish in Alba.
According to Eshnar Gualdo Tadino or Foligno has a stage finish which could be an Appennines mountain stage.
Monte Botte Donato is rumoured to be an uphill finish in the first week.
BotteDonatoS.gif

You pretty much have to put a longer tempogrinder right before it (like Campo Imperatore/Gran Sasso), so it's not a bad uphill finish to have early on in the first week.

MrF

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
Would the giro have more TT kilometers than the tour next year? The route from Foligno to Perugia is about 35 km long. A final time trial could be about 15 kilometers like this year. I hope for a prologue in Sicily.

I really hope Crostis+Zoncolan isn't the last stage, and rather the Fauniera one is.
Don't we all? It's still not fixed yet, but I'm fairly confident it'll be like that.

Anyway, the Foligno - Perugia ITT seems more and more likely, even though there's always the possibility that local articles are simply repeating rumours from past years (when this ITT was already rumoured). Let's take it as real and move on. I would put it as stage 7 or 8, taking for granted that Florence or surroundings would be on Sunday stage 9. Tuscan newspapers are talking about multiple stages in Tuscany, including one around Siena with some sterrato, but I'm not sure how much we should believe that. In any case, I wouldn't expect more than 2 Tuscan stages, on stage 8-9.
As for the rest of the first week, little to no idea. The finish in Monte Compatri seems most likely, but it has to be seen whether it's on stage 5 or 6, as the transfer from there to Foligno is right at the edge of the reasonable.
On another note, lately the rumour of Montespluga has taken some more strength, although initially it was supposed to be for 2022. If it's in, it would be the Valtellina stage.

1: Sicily?
2: Sicily?
3: Sicily?
4: ??? - Monte Botte Donato?
5: ??? - ???
6: ??? - Monte Compatri
7: Foligno - Perugia ITT
8: Gualdo Tadino? - Siena?
9: Siena? - Sesto Fiorentino or Firenze
rest
10: Firenze? - Ravenna
11: Ravenna - Verona
12: ??? - Cormons
13: Udine? - Zoncolan or Montasio
14: ??? - Cortina
15: ??? - Somewhere in Trentino?
rest
16: ??? - Montespluga?
17: Morbegno? - Verbania
18: Borgomanero - Pila
19: Aosta - Alba or Mondovi'
20: Cuneo - Cuneo
21: Torino? ITT

So it's known for sure they won't attempt to get to Budapest next year either?
Nothing is known for sure, but one must be a very special kind of optimist to think they'll be able to start from Hungary.

So Etna yet again, and all the really decisive bits crammed into the last 8-9 days again?

Very imaginative.
Nothing has been said about the Etna. Sicily itself is not sure. I put it only because of lack of serious alternatives.
As for the route being backloaded, I'm not sure what else you'd expect.

Nothing is known for sure, but one must be a very special kind of optimist to think they'll be able to start from Hungary.

Nothing has been said about the Etna. Sicily itself is not sure. I put it only because of lack of serious alternatives.
As for the route being backloaded, I'm not sure what else you'd expect.
Zoncolan in 2nd week is less backloaded than most.

I wish they'd put some proper Cat 1s in the first 12 days in good places though.

Zoncolan in 2nd week is less backloaded than most.

I wish they'd put some proper Cat 1s in the first 12 days in good places though.

Are there much options elsewhere though? The Dolomites and Alps contain nearly all their proper mountains.

You're left with Etna in the south, and there's a few decentish options in the Appenines like Blockhaus or Nerone but all their best climbs are in the North.

You can do a giro route and skip the south, start in Venice area maybe and head to the Dolomites at end of week 1, go south from there and then head back north for week 3 in the Alps. Skipping half the country doing that though so can't do that often imo

Are there much options elsewhere though? The Dolomites and Alps contain nearly all their proper mountains.

You're left with Etna in the south, and there's a few decentish options in the Appenines like Blockhaus or Nerone but all their best climbs are in the North.

You can do a giro route and skip the south, start in Venice area maybe and head to the Dolomites at end of week 1, go south from there and then head back north for week 3 in the Alps. Skipping half the country doing that though so can't do that often imo
I wouldn't be looking for queen stage material more to the south, but they definitely have some really good climbs more to the south. They'd just need to keep the design somewhat straightforward, and not have the big climb be the MTF or finish shortly after the descent.

I think early MTT on Etna (or any other good climb) would do really good job. While for a road stage you can be undercooked and bank on just a tempo ride up, in TT you can't hide.
Otherwise, you can go into the Giro (or any GT) undercooked, ride 10 days into rhythm without any major difficulties, or at least soft-pedaled and you end up with ~2 weeks GT fight. Just give the riders reason to peak in a different time. 1st 2nd or 3rd week

Sadly, that's not an option for 2021, is it?

Yeah I think the southern half of Italy definitely has its share of grinders but is lacking in steeper climbs. Wouldn't be bad to have an MTT in the first 10 stages on one of those lesser climbs tbh
I've been saying for years that that's the only good way to use Montevergine.
Anyway, Etna, Campitello Matese or Monte Faito would all be steep enough. Otherwise there's always the option of using the unpaved road that starts up near Rifugio Sapienza and goes up to the ski staion on Etna.

TRENDING THREADS