• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I believe the 24th of May where Stage 16 is scheduled is also Whit Monday. Could the reason for the rest day being placed the following day have anything to do with that? Commercial reasons? I believe in most European countries that is a holiday which should attract more viewers. Furthermore within Italy Südtyrol Whit Monday is also celebrated? right?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I believe the 24th of May where Stage 16 is scheduled is also Whit Monday. Could the reason for the rest day being placed the following day have anything to do with that? Commercial reasons? I believe in most European countries that is a holiday which should attract more viewers. Furthermore within Italy Südtyrol Whit Monday is also celebrated? right?
I doubt there is such a reason. It is not a holiday in Italy (in Südtyrol I don't know, but the race shouldn't pass there that day).
It is a holiday in Germany, which is very nice for me. ^^

4 Piacenza - Sestola
5 Modena - Cattolica
6 Frasassi - Ascoli (Colle S.Giacomo)
7 Vasto - Foggia
8 Castel di Sangro - Campo Felice
9 Foligno - Perugia ITT
REST
10 Perugia - Montalcino
11 Siena - Bagno di Romagna
12 Ravenna - Verona
13 Cittadella - Zoncolan
14 Grado - Gorizia
15 Selice - Cortina
REST
16 somewhere in Südtyrol
17 Val di Fassa - Sega di Ala
18 Desenzano - Bergamo
19 Busto Arsizio - Alpe di Mera
20 Verbania - Madesimo
So this means that stages 4, 6, 8, 11 and 14 (at least) are hilly/medium mountain stages. 10 is a sterrato stage. High mountain at 13, 15, 17, 18 and 20.

Sega di Ala is interesting. Could we then see Monte Baldo as the penultimate climb?

Last edited:
So this means that stages 4, 6, 8, 11 and 14 (at least) are hilly/medium mountain stages. 10 is a sterrato stage. High mountain at 13, 15, 17, 18 and 20.

Sega di Ala is interesting. Could we then see Monte Baldo as the penultimate climb?
if that's correct, yes, but as I said I'm pretty sure it is shifted by one day. In any case those are the hilly stages, plus possibly one of the Piedmont stages too.
I do hope we see something big before Sega di Ala. There are many options and the day before should be a rest day.

I do hope we see something big before Sega di Ala. There are many options and the day before should be a rest day.
But there are some distance between Val di Fassa and Sega di Ala even going the shortest route. That doesn't give them room for adding too many climbs. And Monte Baldo is the only climb that doesn't add at least 20+ km of flat before the last climb to Sega di Ala. Let's hope we will se this climb as far as San Valentino before descending towards the last climb.

CreerN.gif
[URL

But there are some distance between Val di Fassa and Sega di Ala even going the shortest route. That doesn't give them room for adding too many climbs. And Monte Baldo is the only climb that doesn't add at least 20+ km of flat before the last climb to Sega di Ala. Let's hope we will se this climb as far as San Valentino before descending towards the last climb.

CreerN.gif
[URL
If I didn't mess up. a hypotetical (totally not happening) stage from Moena with Bondone, Santa Barbara and San Valentino would be only 210 km, so I don't think that's an issue.

La Flamme Rouge also suggests Col Druscié won’t appear, instead the finish will be in Cortina city centre
that's not a suggestion, it was declared today by the mayor of Cortina. They will finish in the town centre after Fedaia Pordoi and Giau.

As for the ITT, La Nazione has changed idea three times in the last three days. Let's wait for what they say tomorrow...

If I didn't mess up. a hypotetical (totally not happening) stage from Moena with Bondone, Santa Barbara and San Valentino would be only 210 km, so I don't think that's an issue.
Okay, that sounds good. I just saw that there would be something like ~150 km if going straight from Val di Fassa to Sega di Ala. Therefore I thought there would be difficult to add more than one or two extra climbs.

that's not a suggestion, it was declared today by the mayor of Cortina. They will finish in the town centre after Fedaia Pordoi and Giau.

As for the ITT, La Nazione has changed idea three times in the last three days. Let's wait for what they say tomorrow...
Yeah, the race will feature enough TTs fo Ganna, I'm not too concerned about that. the whole article is a mess.
In Cortina I'd love to see Via Faloria before the finish (not gonna happen). 580m at 12.8%, that would be the closest thing to Briancon that you can get in Cortina.

Yeah Zomegnan often pulled completely batsh*t crazy ideas out of his hat, but that doesn't mean his routes were always that great in general. If contador wasn't contador and he had a slightly better team 2011 just would have been neutralized from the Etna onwards. We were sinply lucky the dominant rider of that race was also the one who seemed to enjoy hard racing from far out more than anyone else.

2010 and 2011 were very unbalanced in favor of the climbers
And 2010 was one of the best GTs in the last couple of decades. 2011 also contained possible the best mountain stage I've seen in 20 years of cycling. Can't compain much about any of these.

The main issue IMO are if the GT are designed with too many stages which don't encorage action until the last 2-3 kms. We have the Vuelta for that kind of racing. The Giro should be designed differently.

The Pordoi descent towards Arabba is soo much fun, the 34 hairpins are awesome.
The Giau from the hard side is relentless with the hardest part early on, but not the most stunning climb, you can only say that about the final part of the climb. The other part of the Giau on the other hand is stunning, but the other side is probably my favourite descent ever, descending towards Selva di Cadore is just awesome, a nice road, wide hairpins and everything you can ask for.

Regarding the time trials, I really don't understand the fuss about lack of ITT kms in Grand Tours in general, and especially the Giro. In the GT elimination game thread in this forum, five out of top six places were versions of the Giro. They contained the following amount of time trialing kms:

Giro 2010: 24 km ITT, 13 km MTT, 32 km TTT
Giro 2015: 59 km ITT, 18 km TTT
Giro 2016: 50 km ITT, 10 km MTT
Giro 2018: 44 km ITT
Giro 2011: 26 km ITT, 13 km MTT,

IMO the amount of ITT in the Giro are of lesser importance. The two main factors for an entertaining Giro is balanced and well-designed mountainous part and sheer luck and coincidence. For the mountain part you need differant type of hilly and mountain stages spread throughout the Giro, not too backloaded, easier stages or rest days before some of the toughtest and most important mountain stages, and make sure that you don't have only mountain stages ending in muritos. And by luck and coincidence I mean factors like start lists, form of the best GC riders, form curves (a good way of entertainment is if one the top favorites has a rising form curve and another has a declining curve throughout the race), weather conditions and other factors beyound the organizers control.

Well, of the eligible GTs, only the 2012 Tour had a great amount of ITT (a notch below 100 km), so it's not surprising that you're not seeing more ITT km in the top. The GT with the 2nd most ITT km (Giro '17, 68 km) was clearly the better for it. I think the 2010 Tour had the 3rd most (~60 km).

I think if you were to look at how much TT'ing a route has and how good the race ends up being you'd find next to near correlation. But that's not because TT's don't matter, but you can screw up a route by including too many TT kilometres just as much as you can mess it up by not including enough. The 2012 Tour had two really long, flat TT's and a total of 4 mountain stages you could take somewhat serious, and I'm emphazising the "somewhat" here. That's not a balanced, that's stupid. Meanwhile the 2017 Giro didn't suffer from the amount of TT'ing one bit.

The reason I usually want a lot of TT'ing isn't because TT's are great on their own. They need to come in combination with genuinely tough mountain stages to balance it out. If you don't have those stages little TT'ing is just as balanced, but why would I want a balanced race with no good racing and big attacks when I can have a balanced race with good racing and big attacks.

Also, just want to mention that you simply cannot put the success of the 2010 giro down to any factor any organizer had in hand. Sure, you can maximize the chances of chaos by putting the right stages in the right places, but for the amount of randomness that happened in the first two weeks of that race you simply need the stars to align. One thing that is certain is that it didn't have anything to do with TT's or the lack thereof.

TRENDING THREADS