• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thanks. And zoncolan by the most difficult side?
also no. They should climb the Sutrio side, the one from 2003.

How likely is this?
quite likely.

Today the usual Cicloweb source told us that according to his sources:
  • stage 8 Foggia - Guardia Sanframondi
  • stage 10 L'Aquila - Foligno, no ITT
  • rest between stages 15-16, not 16-17
  • stage 18 Rovereto - Stradella
  • stage 19 starts in Vigevano, not in Busto Arsizio
  • stage 21 Senago - Milano ITT

Frankly I hope he's wrong, no mid-Giro ITT would be *** and also the rest day before Cortina and not after would be a terrible idea...

also no. They should climb the Sutrio side, the one from 2003.

quite likely.

Today the usual Cicloweb source told us that according to his sources:
  • stage 8 Foggia - Guardia Sanframondi
  • stage 10 L'Aquila - Foligno, no ITT
  • rest between stages 15-16, not 16-17
  • stage 18 Rovereto - Stradella
  • stage 19 starts in Vigevano, not in Busto Arsizio
  • stage 21 Senago - Milano ITT
Frankly I hope he's wrong, no mid-Giro ITT would be *** and also the rest day before Cortina and not after would be a terrible idea...
After the 2020 Tour ITTs are officially bad

Reactions: Sandisfan
When was the last time that a flat stage finished in Molise?
uh, tough question...

Agreed.

Also, Eshnar, do you have any ideas regarding Sestola – are we looking rather at Passo del Lupo (2014-style) or Pian del Falco and then into the town (2016-style)?
I think the latter. There are already many MTFs in the route and up to now all rumours have just said Sestola, without hinting at finishing above the town.

Who pays for stage finishes in places like Alpe di Mera and Sega di Ala? Regional authorities? Nearby towns? Does bigger ski resorts like in Sestriere, Cervinia or somewhere in the Dolomites ever pay for stage finishes?
it's usually a mix of all interested parties. In the specific case of Alpe di Mera, it seems the town of Borgosesia is the most involved. It depends case by case I guess.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So... working on the assumption that the Cicloweb source is right (and so far it definitely looks like it), we already know all stages. So let's start to look for each actual route. I'll use a mix of rumours (underlined) and pure guesswork (not underlined)

1 Torino ITT
2 Stupinigi - Novara
3 Biella - Canale d'Alba
4 Piacenza - Sestola [route along the hills, finale with Pian del Lupo and finish in town]
5 Modena - Cattolica [pan flat]
6 Frasassi - Ascoli (S. Giacomo) [many relatively inconsequential small hills before the MTF]
7 Notaresco - Termoli [mostly flat]
8 Foggia - Guardia Sanframondi [breakaway stage, with Bocca della Selva before a flattish final ~30 km]
9 Castel di Sangro - Campo Felice [Roccaraso - Passo Godi - Passo del Diavolo - Ovindoli - Campo Felice with some sterrato in the end]
REST
10 L'Aquila - Foligno [breakaway, medium mountain with flat finale]
11 Perugia - Montalcino [75 km within the town territory, 4 sterrato sectors, same 2010 finale with Poggio Civitella]
12 Siena - Bagno di Romagna [La Verna, Monte Camaldoli, Passo dei Mandrioli]
13 Ravenna - Verona [pan flat]
14 Cittadella - Zoncolan [Monte Rest, Zoncolan from Sutrio]
15 Grado - Gorizia [hilly, with a 3 laps final circuit with the climb of Vipulzano (unclear exactly which climb)]
REST
16 Selice - Cortina [Crosetta, Fedaia, Pordoi, Giau]
17 Canazei - Sega di Ala [Monte Bondone, San Valentino, Sega di Ala]
18 Rovereto - Stradella [flat]
19 Vigevano - Alpe di Mera [Mottarone, Colma di Varallo, Alpe di Mera]
20 Verbania - Madesimo (Alpe Motta) [San Bernardino, Splügenpass, Alpe Motta]
21 Senago - Milano ITT

Last edited:
Reactions: Jungle Cycle
I found an answer.

Bari - Termoli, Stage 10 1987

Between then and now, there have also been 4 mountain top finishes at Campitello Matese, and a hilly stage which finished in Campobasso.

thanks for these interesting infos.
Campitello Matese is something we can be proud of. The quality of roads is suboptimal, many municipalities don't have money, and Molise (my region) is often used as only a transition point between southern regions (Puglia/Campania) and Abruzzo (central Italy). I tell you: inner Molise is rural and beautiful but a nightmare for mobility aside from the main arteries (SS 17, SS 647)

We also don't have much coast-line and you don't want to waste southern stages with flat 2nd week-style borefests like Giro usually plan to do between Marche and Emilia Romagna. :p
In last years Giro for example they skipped from Puglia to Abruzzo between stage 8 and 9. It was painful :cry:, but honestly it got better in the past few years it seems

Last edited:
Reactions: valentius borealis

TRENDING THREADS