• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Strade Bianche, March 6th

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ok, Alaphilippe is the best puncheur in the world, but Strade is a damn hard race, maybe his punch won't be there if those cross guys do the forcing for a while.
I remember Valverde, best puncheur in the world at that time, being beaten by Stybar and Van Avermaet at that wall...

In fact, I dare to say, if Van Der Poel comes with the front group at the bottom of that wall, he will win. Doesn't matter who the competition are...

Not sure why some seem surprised to see Bernal up there. He's always been a good one day racer, particularly in Italy, and had shown he was on good form. I expected him to do a top 5.
I expected him in the top 15 or so. But i didn't expect him on the podium. I actually expected Pogacar to be better here than him. But it's nice to be surprised. Both him and van der Poel surprised me in a very good way.

30w/kg here
CORVOS_00032931-053.jpg
I'm not interested in Alas output I wanna know MVDPs

• Haha
Reactions: BlueRoads
I don't know. It's just that I actually didn't think the technical side here was as important as people said it was. But now I'm inclined to think otherwise.
I think it’s clearly a factor, and at least an advantage for the top 5 today over some others, but at the same time the multiple winners of the race, Kwiat and Spartacus, don’t have any elite off-road background, and won against guys like Sagan and Stybar who do.

vdP is one of the 2 best crossers in the world right now, but he’s also one of the best puncheurs. The latter, imo, is much more important to his win today.

TRENDING THREADS