• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Baroncini said he was surprised that Nys was so strong, he tried his best by being the first after the last corner, but Nys just had an incredible acceleration.
I can't blame him, he probably has never raced against him. Maybe the coach of the u23 nt should have informed them about him.
Seeing Zana race against guys who are still in the u23 ranks looks a bit silly to me, a guy who has already raced the Giro twice gains nothing from getting nice results against some u23 riders...

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Are there any plans for Nys to spend quality time on the road in the future ?

While he is on his father's team he should have a short belgian program like VdP and WVA had until 2017/2018. Unless Telenet goes full Alpecin and starts to evolve as a team but I don't see it likely.

The team is heavily linked with Trek (Lucinda Brand and Shirin van Anrooij switch regularly to road racing with Trek - Segrafredo) so they should lock him already for the future and maybe give him some trainee rides in the next couple of years.

They already lost Tom Pidcock a couple seasons back, can't do the same mistake with this gem.

While he is on his father's team he should have a short belgian program like VdP and WVA had until 2017/2018. Unless Telenet goes full Alpecin and starts to evolve as a team but I don't see it likely.

The team is heavily linked with Trek (Lucinda Brand and Shirin van Anrooij switch regularly to road racing with Trek - Segrafredo) so they should lock him already for the future and maybe give him some trainee rides in the next couple of years.

They already lost Tom Pidcock a couple seasons back, can't do the same mistake with this gem.

Yeah, I remember that; he signed for Telenet, and the rumours were about him riding on the road with Trek-Segafredo. However, he pretty quickly signed for Wiggins for the road season, and it became inevitable his future was not riding a Trek. And so it proved, leaving Telenet after only one season - which had plenty of people scratching their heads.

Baroncini said he was surprised that Nys was so strong, he tried his best by being the first after the last corner, but Nys just had an incredible acceleration.
I can't blame him, he probably has never raced against him. Maybe the coach of the u23 nt should have informed them about him.
Seeing Zana race against guys who are still in the u23 ranks looks a bit silly to me, a guy who has already raced the Giro twice gains nothing from getting nice results against some u23 riders...
Nys out-van-der-poeled Van der Poel last year during a set of CX trials. It should have been known before the race that he was a bigger threat than Van Tricht on this course considering his punch/acceleration and better climbing ability.

And i'm glad Zana didn't get a medal. He's nearly a full 4 years older than Ayuso and Nys and was riding rather cynically.

If they had fully worked together they would just have been beaten by AVV, so there only chance of winning was to bridge across, which didn't work out for anyone.

Still a strong ride by Van Dijk, who takes revenge for losing the ITT crown.

They got to within 8 seconds near the top of the second last climb and stopped riding - AVV and Vollering weren't that strong on the climb - An opportunity missed.

Last edited:
Nys out-van-der-poeled Van der Poel last year during a set of CX trials. It should have been known before the race that he was a bigger threat than Van Tricht on this course considering his punch/acceleration and better climbing ability.

And i'm glad Zana didn't get a medal. He's nearly a full 4 years older than Ayuso and Nys and was riding rather cynically.
Yeah, I don't expect a young road cyclist who has never raced against him to know that, but if you're the coach of the Italian u23 nt you should know that.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98