• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Side observation that apart from RedheadDane probably nobody is interested in: There seems to be a lack of firstnames in Europe. One would think there are more and more names out there, but the entry list for the men's junior road race shows:
Austria has two Florians and two Maximilians,
the Czech Republic two Jakubs and two Tomas' (okay, Tomas and Tomáš),
France two Pauls,
Italy two Filippos,
Lithuania two Mantas',
the Netherlands two Tims,
Portugal two Fábios and two Pedros,
Spain two Xabiers (okay, Xabier and Xabier Mikel)
and the Ukraine two Andriis.

For the girls the situation seems a bit better,
two Hannahs for Austria (Austria seems especially bad off in this regard),
two Darias and Maria/ Mariias for Russia,
two Laras for Slovenia...

until you realize they have so few names over all they decided to put the U23 list in the junior race category as well.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
23 percent.
And how much is it for 60 m? Or rather: What distance would have it at 23 percent?

We've seen short ITTs before, all the way down to 1 km, so wouldn't that be just as good as one of 60 km?

You still have to be the fastest of the field. Equally difficult whether it's 4 kms or 80. Just a different type of test.

It certainly wasn't obvious that there was a lower limit for what distance the logic of your post would cover.

Side observation that apart from RedheadDane probably nobody is interested in: There seems to be a lack of firstnames in Europe. One would think there are more and more names out there, but the entry list for the men's junior road race shows:
France two Pauls,
Italy two Filippos,
Lithuania two Mantas',

until you realize they have so few names over all they decided to put the U23 list in the junior race category as well.

Poland has three Damians in its mixed TTT squad.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
France two Pauls,
Italy two Filippos,
Lithuania two Mantas',

Not just redhead danes. Also noobs. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

You have alluded to the answer yourself. Tradition.

Not that previous events are holy scripture, but because their qualities made them tradition in the first place. And a stand alone ITT of one hour is better than one of one minute.

Hmm. Perhaps, but I was more referring to what is tradition in the sport as a whole, and not just in championships.

And I just don't see why people need to whine so much every time a championship TT is a little bit shorter than in the good old days. Because why is it reasonable for the road race to shift characteristics each year and then expect that the TT must be the same? Why shouldn't that be fluid too and cater to different types?

Note: I'm of course not really advocating for a very short TT in a major championship but my point stands that it is just as difficult to beat everybody else whether the TT has a length of 10 or 60 kms.

Reactions: Sciatic
Hmm. Perhaps, but I was more referring to what is tradition in the sport as a whole, and not just in championships.

And I just don't see why people need to whine so much every time a championship TT is a little bit shorter than in the good old days. Because why is it reasonable for the road race to shift characteristics each year and then expect that the TT must be the same? Why shouldn't that be fluid too and cater to different types?

Note: I'm of course not really advocating for a very short TT in a major championship but my point stands that it is just as difficult to beat everybody else whether the TT has a length of 10 or 60 kms.
Well, there definitely is long-standing tradition to consider.

Alec Segaert beat Uijtdebroeks, though the latter closed 2/3 of the gap from the intermediate. Eddy Le Huitouze took the bronze medal. Madis Mihkels from Estonia was in third place after the intermediate, but something must have happened to him cause he lost more than a minute in the second part.

TRENDING THREADS