• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really dislike the forum when Evenepoel is involved in a race :(

Why must everybody mock him all the time? Why is it so hard to understand the situation he is in and empathise a bit with him? Yes, he makes gestures, but so what? He is a great racer, why do a few hand gestures rile you all up like that?

Usually, everybody acts like policemen assigned to spot and penalise wheelsucking, but apparently not when Remco is involved. He is just an object you can kick at because he has the audacity to show a little bit of frustration.
Reasonable comment... It applies to Alaphilippe, too. I really don't understand the antipathy for JA here. He is one of the greatest racers of the current day . My 1.5 cents.

What a race. Evenepoel was the strongest on this course dropping most of his rivals (Pogacar included). I think he's very close to his previous form really. Unfortunately for him Corbrelli turned out to be very strong as well and couldn't be dropped. What can I say? Remco would have won if not for the Italian!

Reactions: hayneplane
Just for fun. Here's a list of the riders who were already national champions in the same category:

Colbrelli, Küng, Reusser (and she's also Road NC just because she could!), Grégoire, and Riedmann.
Meanwhile, I haven't been able to find anything about national U23 championships in either Belgium, Denmark, or Italy this year.

On one hand Remco being able to win only by finishing solo is clearly a limiting factor. On the other hand that very lack of sprint gives him greater room to bluff and play games in a situation where he is away with a small group in a one-day race finale. Where a big favourite with great sprint like Sagan got a choice between doing too much work or risking throwing the race altogether when bluffing, Remco has much more leverage to force others to do the bulk of the work and create an opening for a successful solo attack as he can legitimitely say he has very little to win in case a group (whatever its particular composition) makes it to the line together.

But first he must learn to use those tactical tricks and part of that inevitably is being prepared to lose the race in case it doesn't work out.

Just for fun. Here's a list of the riders who were already national champions in the same category:

Colbrelli, Küng, Reusser (and she's also Road NC just because she could!), Grégoire, and Riedmann.
Meanwhile, I haven't been able to find anything about national U23 championships in either Belgium, Denmark, or Italy this year.

The Danish U23 championships for men will be held on the 16th and 17th of October. Julius Johansen won both titles last year.

Filippo Baroncini won the ITT and Gabriele Benedetti the RR in Italy. Lennert Van Eetvelt won the ITT and Maarten Verheyen the RR in Belgium.
Shari Bossuyt won the Belgian ITT, but it doens't look like a RR has ever been held for the U23 women. The junior women rode their RR yesterday, two months after the ITT, which was held on the same day as the U23 ITT.

lol at all the couch psychologists on this forum, enabled and joined by forum moderators, who are all clearly well in control of their own emotions, demanding a guy who just lost a race to be in control of his emotions or face the rath of internet mob justice. People in here in fact are so in control of their own emotions, that they don't think it's needed to verify what they think they saw fits what actually happened, and just assume because that's what they would like it be.

Evenepoel's gesture after the finish was NOT directed towards Colbrelli, but towards the stewards that started harassing him. One was busy taking video's or pictures of Evenepoel, while the other was ordering him to move away, after Evenepoel sat on the ground for exactly 17 seconds after the finish to catch his breath and rest for a moment. That's when he made the "forbidden gesture" towards the steward and told him to "fvck off, jongen".

I still don't understand what Portugal was doing. Why drill it so hard in the beginning and then have everyone go in their own breakaways so that in the end noone was left to help Almeida catch the break? I know it's a subplot, but it felt so... odd?
Almeida was not catching the break, that was THE group of favorites, and if he wasn't able to hold on to that group, no team could help him.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
Seems like Remco has one good car-touch and everything else is just a ridiculous high tempo.

Those who are complaining about his reaction during and right after the race, did you ever watch Sagan/Cancellera/Boonen or any other top rider who needed to ride alone with others in their wheel? They would also throw gestures, and rightfully so. (from their position)

Basically Remco not only made the split, but also drove it. Colbrelli didn't do any pull until he was sure he would win (and the others were 1m30 behind).
Good for Colbrelli that he could pull it off. given how they were hanging on for dear life on the 'climb', him doing anything else would have lost him the gold medal. So in the end he did what he needed to do. Remco has the right to complain, but his job was to get rid of him on the climb. Yes i would have loved seeing Remco gamble a bit... but if that would make a difference.... I doubt it.
Yeah, about Cancellara: Listen (and watch) closely

View: https://youtu.be/XFqfqO6CQko?t=4256

TRENDING THREADS