• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 Giro d'Italia: Post race discussion & poll

Rate the Giro. Did you like it, were you enterained?

• Yes, very!

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Not really!

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • Eh...

Votes: 36 36.0%

• Total voters
Tell us how you really fell!

FT8d5mNXEAI7Y_q

Its a lot of complaints during these weeks on the route, but the competition was far below what you have the right to expect for a GT.
Old men where competitive deep into the Giro, Carapaz was/is a shadow of himself. Yates no form, no knee, Dumoulin not in shape, Lopez abandon.
And we are left with Hindley and it feels alittle like an insult . Not only that but the way this Giro was raced was utterly dissappointing, from Hindley`s wheel sucking until the last stage, to the mysterious TTT from Carapaz, Hindley, Landa trio. The absence of any sustaining attacks proves that not many where in any shape or had any cojones to try to live the race up.
Its the worst GT i have watched and i wont remember who won it in five years time or i will remember because a very average rider won it.
And Landa promised "i will attack, im not scared, i want to win" and then to perform so weak is really telling of the whole Giro.

5/10

I think a lot of the breakaways and fight for the win on a daily basis, was entertaining on many of the stages.

It was great to see some older riders having a great race and many young riders breaking through.

I think there were a few unfortunate events that affected the race. Riders dropping out because of sickness or mishaps. Those are circumstances nobody can control and made the GC action a bit hesitant most times. Nobody out of the top 3 had to make up much time on the others, and there was less chance of anyone taking any big risks with them being the three strongest riders left in the race.

Was it the best race? No. Was it a completely boring race? No.

Hence the average rating, for me.

5/10

I think a lot of the breakaways and fight for the win on a daily basis, was entertaining on many of the stages.

It was great to see some older riders having a great race and many young riders breaking through.

I think there were a few unfortunate events that affected the race. Riders dropping out because of sickness or mishaps. Those are circumstances nobody can control and made the GC action a bit hesitant most times. Nobody out of the top 3 had to make up much time on the others, and there was less chance of anyone taking any big risks with them being the three strongest riders left in the race.

Was it the best race? No. Was it a completely boring race? No.

Hence the average rating, for me.
What is the lowest you have graded a GT and which one was it (roughly)? I wonder if you actually use a scale that goes from 1 to 10.

Carapaz was/is a shadow of himself.

I don't really understand why people are saying this. The numbers in this race from Hindley, Carapaz and Landa were high. I feel that a lot of people are annoyed they were wrong about Hindley and are now trying to claim this was another fake Giro when in reality both Hindley and TGH were worthy winners.

Using the Netserk scale this would be a 1/10 or a 2/10. Using a personal scale of entertainment probably a 3/10 or 4/10.

MvdP was as entertaining as a single rider can be during three weeks of racing (both on and off the bike).
The breakaway battles were great for the most part.
The Turin stage was absolutely stunning.
And I'm glad I could be at the start in Budapest.

Everything else let me down. The route was bad and we knew it. Many top riders had to leave. The GC fight never really took off and the other jerseys didn't even need a proper fight.
Most of all I think this race lacked variety. Sometimes it's a battle of riders with different styles and skills (TTers, climbers, allarounders), sometimes you have riders peaking early and then fading against others who gets better as the race progresses, sometimes a fuga bidone shakes things up early, etc. This Giro had nothing. We knew who the contenders were by the end of week 1. Then some of them had to abandon and the podium is set.

I don't like to complain but I this has to be one of the worst Giro editions in recent history.

TRENDING THREADS