• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Santena – Torino 147 km (Saturday, May 21st)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We've had 2 stages of real GC action and 10th is already at 9 minutes. I didn't see that coming. Amazing effort from Almeida to limit his losses but surely he'll pay for that later after working hard up and down every climb on the circuit.

Weird wheelsucking meltdowns are back so that's cool. The only one doing any serious wheelsucking was Yates and that's fine in his position.

Would seem I'm the only person who has been pleasantly surprised by this giro.

Had low expectations from the route, and so far its been ... fine. Etna stage as expected, Blockhaus ditto, Potenza stage I never had any hope for. Jesi was great fun with bizarre attacks for 20km, today fantastic. Napoli stage also fun from a break perspective I thought. I don't think the GC riders were given much to work with for the first 13 stages, but now it gets a bit more fun.

Well, this was pretty freakin amazin. A 10/10 stage. There are over 4 minutes from Yates to Lopez on 10th place. 10 mins down to 17th place. This is gaps we usually only see in the toughest of mountain stages. I know we the cliché that it is the riders that delivers and not the route, but hey. If you have a route design like today AND the top GC candidates are willing to attack, we get a stage for the ages. So RCS; more of this please! And less of these Unipuerto-like stages.

Congratulations to Simon Philip Yates for winning a prestigious stage.

In a way i can understand his disappointment on a day like this. He came to Giro to win overall. A crash and illness depriving him of getting a chance for that. Sad to hear Dumoulin abandoning. Hope he gets well soon and maybe there is still a chance and motivation for Vuelta attempt later this year. López deserves all the credit for the fight he put on. Nibali still thinking about his trophy cabinet and keeping those shark teeth sharp.

Bora made the race today but it was Carapaz that made a bold move and attacked. While Bora and Bahrain still keeping the numbers. Landa was not on his best day but still close enough to try something. Lets see how Almeida will cope tomorrow. Small sign of weakens today but the decisive stages are still to come. Not sure if Hindley or Carapaz gained more today. It looks like it will be in between them to the finish line. Likely Carapaz having slight advantage in mountains.

Stage as a whole was beautiful. Thanks guys for putting on such show.

Reactions: Sandisfan and PlanZ
This stage proved that we need more of those medium mountain stages with ups and downs!! Getting tired of those high mountains uphill finishes where the GC guys only attack a few kms from the finish.
Indeed, but it is also the narrow, twisty roads that make the race difficult to control by the big teams. Just look at how Ineos derailed today.

This stage proved that we need more of those medium mountain stages with ups and downs!! Getting tired of those high mountains uphill finishes where the GC guys only attack a few kms from the finish.
That is my main issue with the Giro design. The Appenninnes are packed with opportunities to create great hilly and medium mountain stages. From the murito madness we've seen a couple of times in the TA to the kind of stages like today. It's a real shame they don't take advantage of these opportunities more often.

That is my main issue with the Giro design. The Appenninnes are packed with opportunities to create great hilly and medium mountain stages. From the murito madness we've seen a couple of times in the TA to the kind of stages like today. It's a real shame they don't take advantage of these opportunities more often.
Yes! You could have a killer stage between, for example, Rome and Rieti or Gubbio and San Marino

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS