• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 15: Rivarolo Canavese – Cogne 177 km (Sunday, May 22nd)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GPM classification after today:

eei61vm.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's just not good terrain for any GC action. I'm going to assume they either wanted to ease into the mountains with a break stage, or more likely, whatever ski resort at Cogne paid the organizers a lot of money.
Best thing for Cogne would be to make it a monolithic five or six climb stage, or go over Grand Saint Bernard from Switzerland especially if it was also the Cima Coppi, to encourage more racing before it as the climb to Cogne itself is unlikely to create much action. Aosta valley is absolutely chocked full of great terrain for racing, but Cogne sadly is just about the worst MTF option available out of those viable enough as summit finishes.

Can any of the Italians here tell me what is going on with the cameras at the Giro??? This is the worst I have seen in any race!!!!

Tour de Berghem has explained the situation on this post:
From this year RAI does not take care anymore of TV shooting and broadcasting of Giro.

A belgian company , called EMG, take care of this. RAI purchase the images from this company as all others TV (also eurosport, GCN etc.)

The same company, but with a different team, take care of Le Tour too.
The team that take care of Giro is the same that take care of Flanders classics.

All camera operators, motorcycle drivers, helicopters, all the technology and the tv director are from belgium.

Rai does nothing from a techical point of view. Rai only purchase the images

I used this quote to show you that even us Italians don' t know the reason why the TV direction is having this problems. Hopefully EMG will solve them before the end of the Giro, because apart from the issues with the direction, it' s clear that there has been a considerable step up in cameras quality

A stage with lots of punchy climbs & super steep sections (20%) = huge entertainment (yesterday), whilst a stage with long grinding low gradient climbs & a false flat finish = procession & no GC action (today).

This is not an exact rule (or science) of course, but by & large it's a common theme throughout every single bike race & GT.

Christian Prudhomme used to always claim "it's the riders who make the race" (often because his ubiquitous hors catégorie col placed 80km from the finish provided zero spectacle or attacks), well no, actually it's the parcours which makes most of the difference.

The most active GC mountain stages at last year's TDF were Le Grand Bornand and Tignes.

That said both the Romme-Colombiere and even Tignes climbs provide far better springboards for attacks than this climb which was almost never going to have GC action unless this was the year 1965.

I think to the extent that "the riders make the race" it's less about this climb which was always going to be unsuited for a MTF for GC action, and more about something like Blockhaus where it's hard to really blame the organizers for that MTF not being more selective.

I think to the extent that "the riders make the race" it's less about this climb which was always going to be unsuited for a MTF for GC action, and more about something like Blockhaus where it's hard to really blame the organizers for that MTF not being more selective.
You need both, though, really.

Give a complete layman the finest paints and canvas and they'll produce nothing of value. Give Claude Monet a box of crayons and some tissue paper and he won't produce much salvageable either.

I'm not sure we've had a grand tour recently that hasn't really had at least a couple mid-mountain stages with a possibility of GC action. It's easy to have recency bias but it's not as if Quillan nor Saint-Gaudens at last year's Tour had anything but the GC guys taking it easy behind a break - same with Potenza this year.

Really this was just a poor choice for a MTF but I don't think you can extrapolate anything about stage design generally except "don't use a MTF that finishes with like 15km of false flat".

You need both, though, really.

Give a complete layman the finest paints and canvas and they'll produce nothing of value. Give Claude Monet a box of crayons and some tissue paper and he won't produce much salvageable either.
Have you seen Matisse’s paper cut-out collages? Just saying…

No one is ever happy with an MTF. Too steep and there’s no GC action. Too shallow and ditto. Biggest factor today was yesterday’s slugfest.

Reactions: noob

TRENDING THREADS