• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 16: Salò – Aprica 202 km (Tuesday, May 24th)

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For me Carapaz was already riding the least on blockhaus with Bardet and Landa. Where now it seems he missed a chance to put in time on Hindley. Today again his pulls didn’t look like much. Hindley actually working the most.
Carapaz does have the fewest reasons to ride though. He's by far the best TT'er of the 3 and with the direction this is going he should have a big enough gap on Almeida as well, whereas the other 2 need more time to secure a podium.

Horner will have something to say about this. :grin:
I don't think they did anything wrong. Kelderman and Kämna simply doesn't had it today and Buchmann obviously as well. They seemed strong last week and had a perfect situation with the breakaway, but in the end it wasn't enough of a time gap for Kämna. It seems like the legs of everyone except Hindley faded. If today is any indication they won't be of much help when the race is really on going forward.bahrain and Ineos clearly stronger.

I mean it would be a shame if Hindley would loose pink in the tt on the last day a second time, but that still seem s like a possible scenario with the best climbers being so evenly matched.

I honestly have no idea how this is going to pan out now. We basically have 3 riders who are appear unable to drop one another but who are being chased by a 4th who they absolutely have to keep distancing.
Really hard to see Almeida winning with the way things are going. At the moment he's doing a great job of limiting his losses, but with only 17km of TT left he can't win by limiting losses. His only hope is to find great legs in the coming days. Unlikely, not impossible.

Carapaz does have the fewest reasons to ride though. He's by far the best TT'er of the 3 and with the direction this is going he should have a big enough gap on Almeida as well, whereas the other 2 need more time to secure a podium.
True. Still Carapaz is not a good TT-er either recently. So I am not that sure he has a safe margin on Almeida already. Hindley with the best TT of his life is also a danger.

Yeah you are. He’s not the best GC rider, because he’s comically inconsistent, but he’s the best climber.

You have no evidence to say Yates is the best climber in this race ?
He is not up of GC and he is not in the KOM jersey

if Carapaz, Hindley or Landa were free to do stages they would out climb him
As it is he has been dropped on more than one climb so far in this race

Even Kamna and Carthy and other today out climbed him

A GC rider like Landa is a better climber as is Hindley

just because you think something is doesnt make it so
Consistency is needed to be called the best and yates hasnt got it this time

When Lo Squalo attacked on the top of Mortirolo I thought we were in for a classic. Unfortunately they caught him soon afterwards. Landa&Bilbao were preparing their attack on Santa Cristina so carefully that they...crashed uphill. Lol. Carapaz&Hindley&Landa confirmed to be the strongest climbers but Almeida was trolling them just a dozen of seconds behind. Congrats to Hirt on a well-deserved victory (Grandpa and Carthy were well-beaten). Hindley snatched seconds from Billy again, could these bonusses be decisive? The fight for victory is very tight, like 2 years back (when the runner-up was...Hindley).

Very entertaining stage. I don't see much between the top 4 atm, although if Almeida can lift his level just a tiny bit he can win. I have no idea if he can keep dieseling up these climbs, though.

Hindley again looked the strongest. I take back whatever I might have said about him after 2020. On paper Bora now has by far the strongest team, but how will they use them?

Why would they play around with a guy that is hard enough to drop and a much better TT'er?
Sustainable or not, it's simply his way of riding and chosing your own pace is usually not a disadvantage especially when it means only losing seconds.
They're more worried about each other than they are about Almeida, and Carapaz isn't easy to work with given his tendency to feign weakness before launching a decisive attack. I'd see your point if Almeida was just yoyoing and then dropping toward the top of climbs, but I think he's repeatedly having to go deep from a long way out and it will cost him eventually.

For me this is more Rocky Balboa than your classic diesel climbing performance.

They're more worried about each other than they are about Almeida, and Carapaz isn't easy to work with given his tendency to feign weakness before launching a decisive attack. I'd see your point if Almeida was just yoyoing and then dropping toward the top of climbs, but I think he's repeatedly having to go deep from a long way out and it will cost him eventually.

For me this is more Rocky Balboa than your classic diesel climbing performance.
When i said he was baiting them, i was making a joke. But this is how Almeida climbs. It's always been. And i can't see why they wouldn't drop him for good if they were able to, without endangering their own chances.

Reactions: groogster

TRENDING THREADS