• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Marano Lagunare – Santuario di Castelmonte 178 km (Friday, May 27th)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And tell Hindley to keep sprinting for the bonuses, it will all work out. No risk, no reward.

Bora will try this tomorrow but they don't know what's in the bag. As seen in the Torino stage, whenever Nibali encounters a climb resembling Civiglio he feels unchained, free and ready to fly. That second 4km part of Castelmonte might be the road to a shark stage win. The other three will watch each other until it's too late.

This is a danger stage. Kolovrat is perfectly placed for a massive attack as the valley isn't long and the final MTF not super long. If Landa finally delivers I will be the first to praise. Bahrain have looked very strong so watch for them putting riders up the road before the top of Kolovrat. And after this we have Saturday's queen stage. This Giro is reaching a climatic conclusion.

Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBqmFe6FzMo

Final preparations for the cycling holiday. There is an ongoing Strava challenge too. Who can undertake Kolovrat the fastest. After slightly above 1000 attempts Daniele Braidot (35:15) and Alessandro De Marchi (35:34) are ahead of Flying Potato (35:48).

Mohorič will be there tomorrow too. A hour before the race he will do a training ride on Kolovrat.

Call me a sceptic, but nothing of significance will happen on Kolovrat.
Not going up but going down there may be echelons due to the weather report warning of a

sharknado-one-sheet-i15737.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBqmFe6FzMo

Final preparations for the cycling holiday. There is an ongoing Strava challenge too. Who can undertake Kolovrat the fastest. After slightly above 1000 attempts Daniele Braidot (35:15) and Alessandro De Marchi (35:34) are ahead of Flying Potato (35:48).

Mohorič will be there tomorrow too. A hour before the race he will do a training ride on Kolovrat.

How come Ineos hasn't signed Flying Potato yet?

Yes, I'm starting to get that "glass is half empty" feeling about any of the top 3 being willing to lose in order to win. For Carapaz, it probably makes sense to play defense and force Hindley and/or Landa to take the risk of attacking. Carapaz is probably better than both in the TT.

If only we had Evenepoel here, but he's out destroying the competition in tour of Norway on a similar climb today.

Yes, I'm starting to get that "glass is half empty" feeling about any of the top 3 being willing to lose in order to win. For Carapaz, it probably makes sense to play defense and force Hindley and/or Landa to take the risk of attacking. Carapaz is probably better than both in the TT.
I was under the assumption that if Carapaz starts the ITT within 15 seconds of Hindley he essentially has the Giro locked up. Is that not the case?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Bora will try something tomorrow ...they will need to get time for Hindley

I am not sure about Bahrain ...If only they had a Martinelli or a Bjarne Riis in the car. They lack imagination imo
They have the best mountain Dom and the best descender in the race in Wout Poels and Pello Bilbao ...and of course Buitrago ....surely they could think of something to break the deadlock and free Landa.

idk Bahrain and BORA have been throwing riders into the break in every mountain stage. They'll do the same here, too. Maybe Ineos feels obliged to send one, too. But it doesn't matter what tactics are used. If the small group at the top the climb is missing one of the top 3, there will be action. If all 3 are there, there won't.

My predictions have been pretty cold lately but, in the spirit of a previous Giro stage 19 that treated me well (Cerny at 325-1) I'm having a go at a longshot.

I think the break probably wins and, as usual late in a GT, it's sometimes more about who is feeling freshest rather than who is ordinarily the best climber. It can also be won by someone who isn't a great climber but who can escape on a descent or in the valley and begin the final climb with a gap.

With that in mind, Fabio Felline (325-1) might have secretly good form. His ride over three significant climbs on Stage 15 would certainly suggest that. Sure, the GC riders didn't ride that stage hard but Felline still led in the 25 man strong GC group, so his legs must be pretty good. Even yesterday on the flat stage he finished in the main group on a stage where many were dropping back from accumulated exhaustion.

If he can escape before the final climb (maybe with another Astana rider like Dombrowski sitting on behind and creating disharmony by refusing to work) then he won't need a huge gap at the base of the last climb to win. The final climb today is steady and not too steep, which suits him well.

Unlikely, I know, but I like any 325-1 chance when you can envisage a plausible scenario of them winning.