• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Marano Lagunare – Santuario di Castelmonte 178 km (Friday, May 27th)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Small fans are the loudest

View: https://twitter.com/biciPRO1/status/1530127533311770627?s=20&t=uaQFl16V2oKqq_qyXprtJw

Contador: "See, that's me. I won the Giro, do you believe me now?"

FTwXy6_WYAMjvba

"Were you under par, 'Pa?"

Reactions: Lequack
As it stands, the podium will be Carapaz, Hindley and Landa. All three riders have finished in their respective positions on the podium in previous Giros (i.e. Carapaz 2019, Hindley 2020, Landa 2015).

The last time this happened in a Grand Tour was the 2014 Vuelta (Contador, Froome, Valverde). In the Giro, the last time this occured was 1968, when Merckx triumphed ahead of Vittorio Adorni and Felice Gimondi.

Obviously this is rare but especially so in the Giro, the Grand Tour with the most varied startlist from year to year, and where the defending champion tends not to show up in recent years.

For reference, the last time this happened in the Tour was 2001, when Armstrong, Ullrich and Beloki repeated the previous year's podium.

TRENDING THREADS