• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 3: Kaposvár – Balatonfüred 201 km (Sunday, May 8th)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Last time I felt "that may work" about two-headed sprint squad with top sprinters at the Tour is with Kittel/Degenkolb, just because how different they were, although I don't think Degenkolb ever managed to win any when he had the priority (?), but it just easilh made sense (I think they even slipped Veelers into the top 10 of sprint stages once or twice).
Never felt the confidence about any other team since then.

Strange comments here about riders boxed in (Girmay, Marezko...) and a rider coming from nowhere (Ewan). They could have won, being in a better position !? Well, when Cav (or another topsprinter) doesn't win, the reason is mostly that he was boxed in or he had to start his sprint in a bad position. So, what's the point ? And the comment that those sprinters are finishing very strong, is not a proof they could have won. It's just a proof they sit in the slipstream so that they are simply sucked along and hardly have to pedal.

Plenty of examples how having 2 sprinters ruined a team's chances before. Pretty sure Alpecin wins more sprints in last year's stage if they go for Merlier instead of Philipsen after the former won a stage. If one of the sprinters wins the first sprint, you should keep going for him in my opinion because of his confidence. QS bringing Bennett and Cav to the Scheldeprijs last year also messed up their train.
In hindsight they were probably trying to go for green with Philipsen as well maybe knowing Merlier would abandon. And without Cav they’d have won at least two with Philipsen as Cav brought Bouhanni in his slipstream on the first stage he won.

Reactions: jmdirt
Congratulations to Mark Cavendishfor for winning the sprint.

He went early but he must be in exceptional form to hold till the line. Sad to see Tratnik abandoning. Hopefully some other GT to be more favorable for Slovenians this year. As for the stage. If you managed to watch it without crashing out. In that case you understand GT racing to the finest.

Jakub Mareczko must be the fastest useless sprinter I've ever seen.

Again, he practically free-wheeled (and was forced to stop pedalling at least twice) past most of the people driving hard for the line. Ridiculously fast.

But also a guy who eternally remains completely unable to hold a position, follow a leadout wheel or ever be in a position to actually compete for a win.

His speed alone makes him a star in 3rd-rate field in a way he used to dominate Chinese races. But winning in Giro? Won't happen.

Mare-Zzolo would be a star. Give a mythical rider Nizzolo's sense of position and Mareczko's finishing speed and you would have someone who seriously challenges anyone.